• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2022, June 5 - 12

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Umpf. Congrats to Ferron. But overall not very satisfying, so much useless work from everyone in the peloton and the break just too mess it up in the decisive moments.
All week they have collectively been waiting too long and letting gaps grow too much giving the breakaways belief and motivation to drive it hard all the way home.

Trek would have been better served getting Skuijns in the breaks than slaving for Stuyvesant to come nowhere in the sprints every day.

Reactions: Sandisfan
So Molano disqualified for punching Page. Apologized after.
Who was the UAE rider that went to calm him down?
I don’t know the possibilities for punishment beyond the DSQ but the in-race action could have been viewed as a moment of madness but when you add in the actions in the post race clip he should feel fortunate to be allowed to race again this season.

well the punch is one thing, but in first altrecation he also pulled on his bike or leg... I'm stumped he isn't banned for the entire season... Completely nuts.

Also looking at the finish and the strange behaviour of the escapees it seemed like the french were riding for a french to win and against the italian.

• Wow
Molano, older enough to know better, bullying a 20 year old neo pro like that.

It's one thing hitting out once in the spur of the moment in a race. DSQ for that, yes. But Molano was repeatedly intimidating Page in that lengthy exchange. In fact, I think I saw him hit him on the head twice.

To then continue it after the race, and hit him on the head again! Completely unacceptable. Season ban in my book.

You can already see how it affected Page in the final sprint. Ok, the stage had gone and it was only for minor placings, but finishing 13th, behind Molano for the first time in this race, suggests that the intimidation must have had an affect on him.

well the punch is one thing, but in first altrecation he also pulled on his bike or leg... I'm stumped he isn't banned for the entire season... Completely nuts.

Also looking at the finish and the strange behaviour of the escapees it seemed like the french were riding for a french to win and against the italian.
Usually it's French on French...or maybe that's just the Tour.

• Haha
FU6qiSKXwAEJFzu

Congratulations to Valentin Ferron for his first stage win and bravery.

Was a rather fast paced stage. Peloton would really need to dig deep to catch the breakaway. There i guess just wasn't enough motivation today and JV couldn't do it alone. Now i guess off to the mountains. Molano indeed exaggerated and deserved to be disqualified. Too bad for Ayuso and Kwiatkowski abandoning. They would likely be a factor in the mountains. Hirschi in good form.

interesting take from Jack Haig (video probably geo-restricted?!), who expects more from Vingegaard than Roglic:

"I think Primoz here is taking no risks, we might see him not perform at 100% to his capabilities. To be honest, looking at the Jumbo Visma team, I think Jonas is maybe the stronger one, here at the Dauphiné - that may change for the Tour."

Not sure if it's just guesswork, though, or something he noticed while riding with them in the peloton.

So today's stage is really about JV setting the GC for Roglic or Vingegaard - even WVA could well survive it due to the very long descent before the final climb, so It all comes down to what Ineos, Bahrein & BORA can do about for their GC riders......

And we must not forget Cattaneo. He‘s in the pole position for the final GC victory. He climbs really well, and certainly can win this Dauphine. His form looks good.

• Wow
interesting take from Jack Haig (video probably geo-restricted?!), who expects more from Vingegaard than Roglic:

"I think Primoz here is taking no risks, we might see him not perform at 100% to his capabilities. To be honest, looking at the Jumbo Visma team, I think Jonas is maybe the stronger one, here at the Dauphiné - that may change for the Tour."

Not sure if it's just guesswork, though, or something he noticed while riding with them in the peloton.

I love that interview, Jack Haig is a fun guy.

Wout has insisted that he is not battling for the GC. So what should we expect from him today? Will he actually try to follow or just wave goodbye to the camera from the moment he feels that he needs to put some effort in. PCS ranks him as having the 13th most climber points. He has more climbing capability (with his current shape and weight) than he wants to acknowledge. I know he has different goals but I doubt these goals are compromised by just giving it a try today.

• Wow
Wout has insisted that he is not battling for the GC. So what should we expect from him today? Will he actually try to follow or just wave goodbye to the camera from the moment he feels that he needs to put some effort in.

he was asked about it in Belgian press before the race (google translated):

“The Dauphiné is primarily about getting better, in preparation for the Tour. In that sense I have the same approach as in Paris-Nice this year. But of course I'm not just going to ride around a bit. The aim is to really win races. And at the same time aligning the mechanisms for the Tour. I will also really throw myself in the more difficult stages, while I kept more aloof there in Paris-Nice – with the exception of the last stage.”

(original, in case anyone wants to provide a more accurate translation: "De Dauphiné gaat in de eerste plaats over beter worden, als voorbereiding op de Tour. In die zin heb ik dezelfde approach als in Parijs-Nice dit jaar. Maar natuurlijk ga ik niet gewoon een beetje rondrijden. Het is wel de bedoeling echt ritten te winnen. En tegelijk de mechanismen af te stemmen voor de Tour. Ook in de lastigere ritten ga ik mij echt smijten, terwijl ik me daar in Parijs-Nice – met uitzondering van de laatste etappe – meer afzijdig heb gehouden.”)

And we must not forget Cattaneo. He‘s in the pole position for the final GC victory. He climbs really well, and certainly can win this Dauphine. His form looks good.
He can take yellow today, but than the teams you mentioned will attack him relentlessly tomorrow. Podium candidate, for sure, but winning seems a bit far fetched.

TRENDING THREADS