• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2022, June 5 - 12

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That end by Jumbo is pretty much why Roglic won't beat Pogacar (barring a miracle). UAE are all in Pogacar. Jumbo are not and are riding multiple races.

on paper, maybe, but have you ever had a closer look at the way UAE is racing?! It's always Pogacar + the team, never a unit. Guys like Majka or Bennett are half-hearted domestiques at most, Hirschi and McNulty are racing for themself, and we all know Soler. Pogacar is just strong enough so that it doesn't matter.

This celebrating-too-early actually happened and happens to the biggest stars in the greatest and most important races.

Wout is just a rider who probably rides for first place in more than half the races he rides. Mostly, he does not arrive solo, so he has to sprint against a smaller or bigger group. Today happened that what happened to Hondo, Zabel, Alaphilippe, and so many others… But he won his stage on Sunday, is back in Yellow, and extended his lead for Green.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't think Wout didn't have the legs. Positioning and timing of Vingegaard/van Aert didn't seem great. Happens. Of course celebrating too early always looks stupid.
Just watched the last 5 km again. I'd agree. Jonas looked mildly confused overall I'd say, (hence also why I wondered what he was talking about on the radio.) Confusion seems to be one of his natural states of being :D

this should be a Rogla stage not Wout, big mistake by JV;

Blame me too, I've thought before the stage that the finish is not steep enough and that Wout would be a better option... But I didn't expect him to struggle on that final climb or someone like Hayter to get dropped, so at that moment they should have switched to Primoz. The problem is telling your superstar rider in the last km that the plan is changed and that he should do a leadout, that's not easy. Positive thing is no Rogla in yellow

Anyway, as it is clear that Jumbo's Tour is gonna be a mess, there is only one thing they can do...
Bring Koen Bouwman

Reactions: topt
Just watched the last 5 km again. I'd agree. Jonas looked mildly confused overall I'd say, (hence also why I wondered what he was talking about on the radio.) Confusion seems to be one of his natural states of being :D

Yeah, I could imagine Jonas was joking a little bit with Niermann, talking gossip: „Hey, did you see Padun? He‘s a little overweight, isn‘t he?“… ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
on paper, maybe, but have you ever had a closer look at the way UAE is racing?! It's always Pogacar + the team, never a unit. Guys like Majka or Bennett are half-hearted domestiques at most, Hirschi and McNulty are racing for themself, and we all know Soler. Pogacar is just strong enough so that it doesn't matter.

I dunno. Like they're not as strong as the Ineos and Jumbo trains but at the same time they're not riding for themselves. Ayuso is the only one who might be dumb enough to but they won't select him I'd imagine.

Majka, Polanc, Laengen, McNulty, Bjerg etc will all ride for Pogacar. Soler might be a danger but I think even he'll ride in support.

Even if they go half hearted, they're still at least riding for Pogacar, and Pogacar is then so strong that'll be enough.

Roglic does not have the luxury of having someone like WVA contesting sprints that Roglic himself should be contesting cos he wants green, and WVA likely doesn't get green without contesting those sprints.

Reactions: search
I dunno. Like they're not as strong as the Ineos and Jumbo trains but at the same time they're not riding for themselves. Ayuso is the only one who might be dumb enough to but they won't select him I'd imagine.

Majka, Polanc, Laengen, McNulty, Bjerg etc will all ride for Pogacar. Soler might be a danger but I think even he'll ride in support.

Even if they go half hearted, they're still at least riding for Pogacar, and Pogacar is then so strong that'll be enough.

Roglic does not have the luxury of having someone like WVA contesting sprints that Roglic himself should be contesting cos he wants green, and WVA likely doesn't get green without contesting those sprints.
True.

I think in the Tour they will both contest the uphill sprints if the group is small enough, and maybe it also depends on Van Aerts margin in the PC.

Today I think the flat final km made the finish really congested which made it really akward for Roglic as he once again let himself get bullied of Van Aerts wheel.

I half think Roglic should just push back at some point even if it causes a crash jsut to show the peloton you don't *** with Primoz Roglic.

Reactions: Jumbot
I have no criticism of Jumbo's tactics, only of Wout's perception of where the finish was. He just didn't see Gaudu. The only thing I might have suggested is that Vingegaard should have tried to launch Roglic with a few kms to go to the summig, but then again I don't think Roglic is quite ready for that kind of effort.

Too many riders going to the line and tired legs made for a bit of a bordel there at the end.

That said, wow, what a fun final climb. Lots of riders in really good shape already.

Reactions: Sandisfan and cen
FUqmtYdWQAEnaYE

FUq9EbRXEAIwoqZ

Which brand? It'd be nice to have ones with a wide peripheral view for looking over my shoulder too, like Gaudu's. I wear the 100% S3 usually and I love them, just wish they were prescription.
I have Centro Style glasses but yes, having a wide peripheral view is usually the hardest thing if you want prescription glasses, even mine aren't perfect in that regard (still happy with them).

Reactions: DaLong
Which brand? It'd be nice to have ones with a wide peripheral view for looking over my shoulder too, like Gaudu's. I wear the 100% S3 usually and I love them, just wish they were prescription.
I have dirt cheap ekoï frames with photochromic correction lenses that I bought for commuting but it's so much easier than contacts that I wear them even on my weekend rides now.

Reactions: DaLong
That end by Jumbo is pretty much why Roglic won't beat Pogacar (barring a miracle). UAE are all in Pogacar. Jumbo are not and are riding multiple races. Finish like that should be all about Roglic but cos WVA wants stage wins and green, you've a mess.

It's why WVA needs to be a dom or stay home. Even Zabel would do donkey duty in the mountains for Ullrich and Vino. WVA should be expected to do the same

Reactions: acm
Congratulations to David Gaudu for snatching the stage win.

Personally i guess i got what i wanted from this stage. That is for Rogla to sacrifice a perfectly good stomp opportunity for a higher goal. I guess sometimes you must be careful for what you wish for as it might come true.

But OK. If JV decided they want to win this stage and for the team to 100% back van Aert. From this point of view they did a good job. That trick Rogla used. To bring back van Aert. It was rather special. And Rogla looked strong.

Looking forward to ITT.

It's why WVA needs to be a dom or stay home. Even Zabel would do donkey duty in the mountains for Ullrich and Vino. WVA should be expected to do the same
Nah. Wout got arguably the 3 most prestigious wins in the Tour last year and that’s career highlight palmares for most, and he still could’ve dommed for Roglic.

Jumbo would come out of the Tour with nothing if not for Wout on any tour that Pog wins Aka not Roglic. If the battle gets to the point where they’re neck and neck in the final week then he could shut down the stage hunting. As far as that goes, has Wout ever not been there for Roglic in a time of need?

Roglic is maybe Pogacar’s biggest threat but I just don’t buy that Wout being 10% more fresh is the difference maker in a Tour victory.

Reactions: search

TRENDING THREADS