• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2023, June 4 - 11

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jorgensen lost almost 10 minutes today. What happened?
Berg said in a post race interview that he crashed because Jorgenson dropped his chain ahead of him. It wasn't clear from the way he frased it that he had crashed into Jorgenson, but it seems likely. Hopefully he wasn't hurt and just decided to pull the plug a bit at that point.

P.S. Just looked at the replay and it seems Jorgenson was able to shift his chain back on, he didn't go down with Berg. But then again it did seem like he was going slow from the start of the climb, either he still had a mechanical and decided to pack it up or he just did the latter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
The Criterium du Dau-fini.

The most remarkable part is I don't even think Vinge attacked, he just went a little faster... & Carapaz exploded.

Also, it really does demonstrate how so-called GC leaders are headless chickens once their teammates have been eliminated. No one commits to the chase, ergo one man ahead goes solo to the line.

It almost felt like Alaphilippe's WC win in 2021.

The most remarkable part is I don't even think Vinge attacked, he just went a little faster... & Carapaz exploded.

Also, it really does demonstrate how so-called GC leaders are headless chickens once their teammates have been eliminated. No one commits to the chase, ergo one man ahead goes solo to the line.

Lets be completely honest now, it makes sense nobody wants to commit fully. I fully agree that is pretty stupid most of times when this happens, but Vingegaard has already won the race bar a mechanical, so saving energy for a top-3, top-5 or top-10 push makes more sense.

Impressive win by Vingegaard and a lot of dithering going on behind him.
Landa sitting on the back, Mas taking short pulls....UAE working hard to not be rejoined by Berg who was right behind them for awhile on the climb seemed unproductive. Yates was rare, commited rider.
Also: watched on Peacock in US and commentator was worst I've heard. Attempts to add drama where there was none, particularly about weather and Berg's short shunt were pointless. I guess he has to earn his money and put out more effort than Landa.

Lets be completely honest now, it makes sense nobody wants to commit fully. I fully agree that is pretty stupid most of times when this happens, but Vingegaard has already won the race bar a mechanical, so saving energy for a top-3, top-5 or top-10 push makes more sense.
Those glorious single-lane roads on the descent wouldn't take much effort to at least put a dent in Vingo's lead. The "chase" was a wheel sucker exposition.

The weird thing is, all teammates were not eliminated. But if you don't operate as a team, it might feel like it.

A climb like this isn't even Vingegaard's forte. The difference might be even bigger on the weekend (or he might keep his powder dry, after all there is no point with the lead he has already).