• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2024, June 2 - 9

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And it makes your page jump, but since we’re already at page 8, I’ll remove them.

For future when I create threads I keep the spoilers until we are a few pages ahead.
At least it’s not like my Comeback thread in end of 2021 that would crash since there was so many videos and pictures to the point I don’t want to make another the read again. The first page is unreadable for some since it crashes their browser. I thought for sure @Red Rick or one of the other moderates would ban me for trolling, spam, and stupidity that I sent them all a message apologizing.

It's impossible Evenepoel being good in the Dauphiné.
But if he approaches it sensibly and does not compete during the real mountain stages of the last few days (so as to be dropped), he will emerge stronger from the Dauphiné. If he is far up in the rankings, he could possibly participate in a long breakaway. If he approaches it this way, I think he can start the Tour at 99%. To become stronger during the second half.

That would be disappointing, and I don’t see how he would close that gap by the time the TDF starts.
Yea, this is my feeling. He can't be way off the pace uphill at the Dauphine and have any GC expectations at the Tour. Realistically, I'd say Evenepoel needs to show strong (not winning) climbing performances in the Dauphine, win the TT and do top 5 GC and be on the upward form trajectory, to reasonably have high GC expectations at the Tour. Anything less and it's stage hunting in July.

Yea, this is my feeling. He can't be way off the pace uphill at the Dauphine and have any GC expectations at the Tour. Realistically, I'd say Evenepoel needs to show strong (not winning) climbing performances in the Dauphine, win the TT and do top 5 GC and be on the upward form trajectory, to reasonably have high GC expectations at the Tour. Anything less and it's stage hunting in July.
I honestly see him stage hunting in such a state. If he can’t challenge for podium then what’s the point?

I honestly see him stage hunting in such a state. If he can’t challenge for podium then what’s the point?
This would be another major setback to his career, however. On the other hand, I imagine the team perfectly knows well his numbers and what numbers are necessary to fight for yellow against top Jonas and Tadej, so maybe the Tour was always going to be for just a top placing or win some big stages.

This would be another major setback to his career, however. On the other hand, I imagine the team perfectly knows well his numbers and what numbers are necessary to fight for yellow against top Jonas and Tadej, so maybe the Tour was always going to be for just a top placing or win some big stages.
Why a setback? He crashed and isn’t in top form. Why not going for KOM jersey and 4 TDF stages instead?

Why a setback? He crashed and isn’t in top form. Why not going for KOM jersey and 4 TDF stages instead?
Because it's going to be his fifth GT and 3 of them, largely owing to previous big setbacks, ended badly. That's not good for a rider who was on world-beater trajectory back in 2020 in my opinion. With such a track record, again for a rider of his talent, to only be entering his first Tour now and not be in top shape because of the crash is clearly another major career setback.

Last edited:
I‘ve even seen Evenepoel quoted as saying that he‘s not mainly interested in GC at the Dauphiné, but I don‘t think they should write off the Tour (which I‘ve also read from Remco fans) if he doesn‘t perform here. Of course he‘s not going to intimidate Pogačar here or look like the prime favorite for the Tour if he doesn‘t fight for the win. But he still has three weeks to work on his form before the Tour after the Dauphiné. He seems to be one of the worst in the Peloton at injury and illness recovery, though if he can write off months of racing near his top level every time.

I‘ve even seen Evenepoel quoted as saying that he‘s not mainly interested in GC at the Dauphiné, but I don‘t think they should write off the Tour (which I‘ve also read from Remco fans) if he doesn‘t perform here. Of course he‘s not going to intimidate Pogačar here or look like the prime favorite for the Tour if he doesn‘t fight for the win. But he still has three weeks to work on his form before the Tour after the Dauphiné. He seems to be one of the worst in the Peloton at injury and illness recovery, though if he can write off months of racing near his top level every time.

he was not in the best shape before Suisse last year

he still podiumed and likely would have won had the fatal crash not occurred. Remember, he ended up pulling the parachute on that descent, which cost him the vast majority of his time