• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2024, June 2 - 9

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It’s pretty normal for them in training, maybe a couple hours less than some but not everybody does that much
Not that it matters much but if you're going by his Strava, it's probably a little more actually.

He spent 20 days at Sierra and numbered every ride/day but he didn't upload ride/day 4, 6, 10 and 14. I don't think those are rest days because he uploaded his easy/coffee rides as well. I assume it's test days which he wants to keep hidden.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Not that it matters much but if you're going by his Strava, it's probably a little more actually.

He spent 20 days at Sierra and numbered every ride/day but he didn't upload ride/day 4, 6, 10 and 14. I don't think those are rest days because he uploaded his easy/coffee rides as well. I assume it's test days which he wants to keep hidden.
I think the overall time/distance listed by week still accounts for that though.

Looking at some other guys, he’s doing maybe 10% less than Kuss but then you have Bernal in the 35 hour per week range, I’ve never seen quite that high in training though.

From what I’ve read in various team and rider accounts their high intensity training in camp or with coaches would be a full day of “training” even if not 5 hrs on the bike. Probably 2sessions on the road and times in between going over ride data, core exercises, massage, and a nap somewhere in between. But I don’t know about when they are off season training on their own.

I think the overall time/distance listed by week still accounts for that though.

Looking at some other guys, he’s doing maybe 10% less than Kuss but then you have Bernal in the 35 hour per week range, I’ve never seen quite that high in training though.
Last year someone posted about Kuss that on one of the rest day of one of his 3 GTs he went out for a 5-hr whatever ride with big power numbers. I’m sure some riders like him do well with lots of volume, others less so?

Bernal has always been notorious for his ridiculously high training volume, particularly when in altitude in Colombia. There were lots of discussions in 2019 on social media about overtraining and him potentially burning out young in his career

There was also an artificle from last year about how Kuss had a different tailored training to the other riders on Visma rentbike, because they noticed he responded much better to old school training with a lot more long and steadier rides in the mountains and less structure.

Bernal and Kuss will both be at the high end of the spectrum when it comes to training volumes amongst the pros, I wouldn't compare other riders to them . Remco and his team know how to get him in absolute peak shape.

Bernal has always been notorious for his ridiculously high training volume, particularly when in altitude in Colombia. There were lots of discussions in 2019 on social media about overtraining and him potentially burning out young in his career

There was also an artificle from last year about how Kuss had a different tailored training to the other riders on Visma rentbike, because they noticed he responded much better to old school training with a lot more long and steadier rides in the mountains and less structure.

Bernal and Kuss will both be at the high end of the spectrum when it comes to training volumes amongst the pros, I wouldn't compare other riders to them . Remco and his team know how to get him in absolute peak shape.
This, responding better to more volume vs more intensity varies a lot from person to person.