• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné May 30-June 6 2021

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I’d forgotten 2016. I was thinking 2013. I know we haven’t climbed La Plagne since 2002. Amazing considering that climb is hard as well as it’s history. Luz Ardiden was a regular during the LeMond/Fignon/Roche/Delgado era. It disappeared after 2001 until 2011. It’s like Alpe d’huez. It’s a brutal stage when teamed up with the Tourmalet before it. Of course there are others like Superbagneres which we haven’t seen since 1989 (which has been rumored every so often but you never get a straight answer about the problem with the bridge) and the Granon (not as iconic but a beast of a climb).

I’d forgotten 2016. I was thinking 2013. I know we haven’t climbed La Plagne since 2002. Amazing considering that climb is hard as well as it’s history. Luz Ardiden was a regular during the LeMond/Fignon/Roche/Delgado era. It disappeared after 2001 until 2011. It’s like Alpe d’huez. It’s a brutal stage when teamed up with the Tourmalet before it. Of course there are others like Superbagneres which we haven’t seen since 1989 (which has been rumored every so often but you never get a straight answer about the problem with the bridge) and the Granon (not as iconic but a beast of a climb).
I love and fear Granon. It seems brilliant as a simple MTF stage as first Alpine stage but then ASO would probably butcher it and make it the queen stage at the back or some ***.

In reality, there's just so many options in the Alps that are underexplored that seeing the same tired, boring climbs always makes me sad. Also when they find something new, they often misuse something as just another HC MTF.

3 years since the last Colombiere/Romme, which did *** all the last time
2 years since we were supposed to get Tignes, previous time before that was 2007
5 years since Ventoux, last Ventoux descent was I dunno, in the 90s?
5 years since Andorra, including Beixalis
3 years since Col de Portet
10 years since Luz Ardiden, and for some reason I've thought it was Hautacam for months.

Colombiere/Romme was excellent in 2009 though.

In hindsight that 2002 TdF route looks great. I remember that La Mongie/PdB double-header with Heras smoking everyone like it was yesterday...

Reactions: perico
Curious to see if Vingegaard will continue his steady rise towards the top. The level he showed in Coppi e Bartali and obviously in Itzulia was very impressive, but we’re yet to see him on the big alpine climbs against an elite field. (I’m not neglecting his stage win in UAE tour, but he was not a threat gc wise and it was in February, afterall). Of course Jumbo will bring Kuss as well, but I’d imagine Vingegaard will be allowed to test himself and see how long he can hold on, at least for the first few mountain stages.

Honestly Alpe d' Huez gets a lot of *** and some people treat the climb as if the climb is bad in it self (which it isn't). I too dont have that much of a problem with the Alpe featuring every 2-3 years, its whatever as its one of the better MTFs in the race and is a really nice tourist destination where you always can consider to go, drink some beers and climb some of the most iconic climbs in the world and watch the race.

It is/was heavily overused. I don't think there's a single finish that deserves to be used every other year, and while Huez isn't a bad finish in and of itself it also isn't top tier. Once every five or so years is plenty, IMO.
It’s always been pretty consistent in providing a genuine GC contest, some attacking riding, and a worthy stage winner. Even in the peak Skybot years, Froome had the good grace to have a hunger knock and get a time penalty.

Yeah, I also think it's a bit of the usual reactionary stuff that when something is popular it must be bad that's going on here. The only problem I see with the climb is the hazards posed by the spectators. Guerini and Nibali may be alone in actually having collided with them but that must just be a question of time because too many people get too drunk on that climb.

TRENDING THREADS