• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Criterium du Dauphine (2.UWT), 3-10 June

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thomas looks pretty beastly. Looks like Bardet is riding himself into form (he says, optimistically) -- he lacked a 5th gear.

What has Warren B screwed up this year? (Besides demoting himself to pro conti level) Was dropped even before climb.
 
Mar 12, 2018
242
0
0
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Ok so one of Froomes main challengers gets dropped by Thomas.... Well that's just great
Oh come on, Bardet may be thereabouts to podium but he is no challenger.

The only true challenger is peak shape Nibali and Movistar trio.
 
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Ok so one of Froomes main challengers gets dropped by Thomas.... Well that's just great
Tour is still far away. I dont think its necessarily a good thing to be smashing the opponents right now if you want to be at your best in July. Look at the likes of Nibali who got dropped today. I think they are going to be stronger at the Tour. This is a build up race and not a test of good form.
 
Feb 23, 2014
6,543
1
0
deValtos said:
Must be demoralizing for other GC riders to be dropped by Sky's 4th best climber. :lol:
My only hope is that Thomas is a little ahead in form, that this mountain suited him more than the others, and that the others are a little behind in form and will be better in the tour.
 
In all seriousness, how likely is it that Thomas just gets sky's tdf leader status? I know Froome will probably be stronger but Thomas will gain huge chunks of time on most contenders in both the ITT and especially the TTT, he is most likely even better than Nibali on the cobbles and his climbing seems to be great too. Froome has the giro in his legs so it's not like his shape will be great without a doubt and more importantly, sky won't want to throw away Thomas's gc ambitions for a froome win which he might lose one month later. At least giving him a free role seems reasonable
 
Nov 29, 2010
1,863
0
0
Jspear said:
deValtos said:
Must be demoralizing for other GC riders to be dropped by Sky's 4th best climber. :lol:
My only hope is that Thomas is a little ahead in form, that this mountain suited him more than the others, and that the others are a little behind in form and will be better in the tour.
Yes this is probably true. Still has to be a little intimidating though for the other contenders.
 
Feb 21, 2017
757
0
0
Caruso might just be the new 'ninja'? Into second on GC, yet not a word mentioned of him in the reporting until the finish.
 
deValtos said:
Must be demoralizing for other GC riders to be dropped by Sky's 4th best climber. :lol:
It doesn't say much, yet. This stage and climb really suit Thomas as a TT'er, he finished a mere twelve seconds ahead of Dani Navarro, and it's always a possibility of peaking too early. We'll have to wait til July to really draw conclusions.
 
Gigs_98 said:
In all seriousness, how likely is it that Thomas just gets sky's tdf leader status? I know Froome will probably be stronger but Thomas will gain huge chunks of time on most contenders in both the ITT and especially the TTT, he is most likely even better than Nibali on the cobbles and his climbing seems to be great too. Froome has the giro in his legs so it's not like his shape will be great without a doubt and more importantly, sky won't want to throw away Thomas's gc ambitions for a froome win which he might lose one month later. At least giving him a free role seems reasonable
They will be joint leaders until it's clear how Froome is going. Thomas like Porte is often his own best enemy, not the greatest bike handler going around.
 
Re:

GraftPunk said:
Caruso might just be the new 'ninja'? Into second on GC, yet not a word mentioned of him in the reporting until the finish.
The commentator on NBC Sports Gold referred to Caruso as Thomas's "main rival" for GC when there were about 2 kilometres to go. I think that's going too far in the other direction.
 
Feb 21, 2017
757
0
0
Re: Re:

shalgo said:
GraftPunk said:
Caruso might just be the new 'ninja'? Into second on GC, yet not a word mentioned of him in the reporting until the finish.
The commentator on NBC Sports Gold referred to Caruso as Thomas's "main rival" for GC when there were about 2 kilometres to go. I think that's going too far in the other direction.
Good point, I'm at the office so no commentary for me :p
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts