• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium du Dauphine 2014: Stage 2, Tarare - Col du Beal

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win this?

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Froome went all out and could not drop Contador.

It's not going to be easy for him, not at all.

Besides, I think a steeper climb will favor Contador.

I hope you're right and we see a good race Saturday.

Yes, he wasn't dropped but on the other hand how does he feel from a mental point of view with the pace that Froome set, he couldn't chance his own arm with his own attack.

I don't think he had in him and that's with Froome using up a lot more energy on the front.

It's not going to be enough.

Looking at Sky today after Nieve going dropping off, they could do with Wiggins in the Tour. That's some positive at least, the team around him doesn't look anywhere near invincible as it did in 2012 or even as strong as last year.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
kingjr said:
Why not?

10c

There is one thing winning, there is another thing called trying to destroy the competition.

He has a lead in the GC and simply needed to keep pace with AC etc.

The Queen stage is not until the weekend, why go beserk now?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Fight.The.Power said:
There is one thing winning, there is another thing called trying to destroy the competition.

because he is obsessed with showing everyone who the strongest is. god damn it were those attacks ferocious.

Arredondo said:
Froome will get 2 minutes in the TT

Very true.

Contador needs to get that time in the mountains.

Or on the cobbles, in the crosswinds, on a descent. Or Froome might crash.

Froome only needs to follow him.

If Contador does not take time in other stages, then yes, Froome only has to follow Contador uphill.

Contador did not beat Froome in a mountain stage yet.

Well he did in Catalunya, but I see your point.

How optimistic are you?

Not very, but what is the fun in expecting Contador to get his *** handed to him all over France? I want Contador to win or at least put up a fight. And I'm going to believe he can, otherwise I'll be extremely sad and miserable for the next month.

Fight.The.Power said:

As I've said to win a stage and to gain seconds on the opponenents

And probably also because it's more fun to race like this instead of just keeping pace.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Fight.The.Power said:

As I said in another thread, Froome has the tactical smarts of a *** fruit fly.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Or on the cobbles, in the crosswinds, on a descent. Or Froome might crash.

True, these are the stages Contador can surprise Froome. Contador is the more complete rider in the sense he's got more feeling for riding in echelons and i think also on the cobbles, although Froome rode PR in the past.

Well he did in Catalunya, but I see your point.

Yes true, i forgot that. But the fact i forgot it, shows perhaps the value of it;)

Not very, but what is the fun in expecting Contador to get his *** handed to him all over France? I want Contador to win or at least put up a fight. And I'm going to believe he can, otherwise I'll be extremely sad and miserable for the next month.

As a fan you have to stay optimistic. The only rider who can beat Froome is Contador. All the other ''rivals'' are no match. Today Contador showed he's way better then he was last year. He will put up a fight, but it has to be done due to a move on a non-mountain stage (Leeds, Arenberg, stage with echelons, hilly stage) or to attack from far out like he did in 2011.

Let's hope he will, he's the only guy who got the capacities and the guts to do it.

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
but if someone is really curious about, can time those 500 meters when froome put one of the most brutal attack i ever seen in a cycling race. it's a miracle that contador followed. imo it was sicker than rasmussen's attacks on peyresourde

This. It was probably the most monstrous attack I've ever seen. According to Sky, he has even improved compared to last year.

The fact that Contador was able to follow is pretty amazing. Maybe Valverde could follow a similar attack. Like Contador, he seems better than ever. It will give the Tour another dimention.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Froome went all out and could not drop Contador.

It's not going to be easy for him, not at all.

Besides, I think a steeper climb will favor Contador.

At the huge uphill speeds of today Froome can't drop Contador, but as it gets steeper the Kenyan has the advantage. He is so much stronger.

But still I'm glad Contador is better than last year, even with less training and racing in the legs. He will be fresh for the third week, unlike Nibali and Froome.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
classicomano said:
Spilak coming in at 12 minutes, doesnt look good for his first real bid at a top GC spot.

He doesn't like this weather. Look out for him on rainy mountain stages of the Tour, in the Vosges for example.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
It was a bit like the mountain sprinting between Rasmussen and AC....

ok the slopes weren't that steep but i don't have a good feeling when i see this kind of sprinting on a mountain.

But those that say that Nibali doesnt has the form. When was the last time he has been able to match AC or froomes accelerations.
The way he climbs it' s more believable anyway. I like Nibali a lot but he is more an all round rider then an exceptional GC rider. He is not the best in Climbing and his time trial hasn't improved either and was already below the best.

I do believe that Froome is maybe digging to deep to early to be good at the end of the tour.

cauberg1999

BANNED
Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
froome did soooo much work on neutralization of attacks and working on front. alberto must bet on unstandart decisions (hills,descents,tactics).he wont beat chris with pure force

I wasn't able to watch the stage so all the information I have is from reading this forum. It sounds like Contador is the the better poker player here. Froomes cards are on the table for everyone to see while no one is really sure what Alberto has got. In the psychological war it seems that Alberto has the advantage. Will it be enough?

I don't agree with those who say that Froome is below 2013 level. He looked very impressive to me. His accelerations were unreal and he was at the front for half of the last climb chasing down several attacks. And at the end he still had the strength to sprint for the win. The problem for him is team sky is not on last year's level. They needed Porte to take over after Nieve finished his job, but Richie had already been gone. If Porte can't deliver they will need Wiggins at the Tour imo.

I expected Contador to not get dropped and it was good to see him hanging onto Froome. I was a little disappointed he didn't try to attack but maybe it was the right thing to just follow. He couldn't get past Froome at the end, though. But I like what i saw from him and I give him a slight edge in the mountains at the Tour, especially for his superior tactics.

Nibali isn't quite there yet, but he will rise his game at the Tour imo. He will challenge but I doubt it's gonna be enough for the win.

Nice to see VDB and Talansky doing well and confirm a very good time trial and impressive stuff from Kelderman, still being able to fight with the best after such a difficult Giro (look at Hesjedal).

So, great week ahead of us and more importantly, fabulous July in the making.:D

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Froome went out today and did an "Armstrong'. He dropped the hammer on the first mountain stage. Trying to stamp his authority on the race. However AC held the wheel. And to me that is a major mental blow to Froome. Especially after the comments in his book about AC have come out. And Mrs Froome's tweet after the Tirrenno? The more I see of Foome/SKY the more I see USPS. Dude & The Mrs. are a PR nightmare!

For me AC just fired a big shot without winning. History has shone us that AC does not win the Dauphine. If his form continues to improve? WOW!

Porte: Whats up? He has a big mouth and today could not back it up? Maybe he has other issues (clinic)?

TJ: As another poster here said. He should try to place high/win another GT. Giro/Vuelta. I know he was 5th a few years ago at the Tour. But he should be going the Majka/Quintana route. IMHO

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
thehook said:
Froome went out today and did an "Armstrong'. He dropped the hammer on the first mountain stage. Trying to stamp his authority on the race. However AC held the wheel. And to me that is a major mental blow to Froome. Especially after the comments in his book about AC have come out. And Mrs Froome's tweet after the Tirrenno?

For me AC just fired a big shot without winning. History has shone us that AC does not win the Dauphine. If his form continues to improve? WOW!

Porte: Whats up? He has a big mouth and today could not back it up? Maybe he has other issues (clinic)?

TJ: As another poster he said. He should try to place high/win another GT. Giro/Vuelta. i know he was 5th a few years ago at the Tour. But he should be going the Majka/Quintana route. IMHO

This should answer your question:

Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador 21m
Hot and busy day in Dauphine,engine at high rpm,but getting better day by day. Tomorrow more! @tinkoff_saxo pic.twitter.com/1jCSmkHsWS

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
What a great stage,firstly,thanks to Froome for his attacks.
I'll add some funny comments lost in forum meltdown or frequency during the stage
the sceptic said:
Brailsford showing his tactical brilliance once again
Arnout said:
Sit down Froome don't forget about Sky aerodynamics.
spalco said:
Eurosport: "Froome must have a bat-like sense of the road" [referring to him always looking at the stem] lol
Best three funny comments guys:D:D