• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium du Dauphine 2014: Stage 2, Tarare - Col du Beal

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win this?

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just saw the last 5km of today's stage. Froome is hilarious :D Imaging how bad he would do if he wasn't that much stronger than everyone else. Anyone moves = Froome covers. Nobody else pulls = Froome pulls. His progression certainly isn't because of better tactics...

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
johnymax said:
They needed Porte to take over after Nieve finished his job, but Richie had already been gone. If Porte can't deliver they will need Wiggins at the Tour

If Brailsford isn't on the phone to Wiggins right now, he's not doing his job.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Just my opinions to interesting posts.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
That first attack of Froome was the most insane on.. he went for so long!
I think the second was even more impressive!They made like 20s gap to others in less than 1 km!
Doesnt matter,both were impressive
Bernie's eyesore said:
No real positives at all for Contador there. Froome led for 6km, chased down around 5 or 6 attacks and Contador still couldn't pass him at the finish. Sad to see but Froome has reduced Contador to being nothing more than a wheelsucker.
Contador can NOT sprint.
Tom T. said:
There's a lot more going on than just Bertie trying to hang on. He has ZERO reason to go nuts and attack in this race, this stage. Today it was "Hey Alien, is that all you got, I'm still here."
This,Froome wants to dominate.Hell, he wasnt even happy just after he crossed the line lol:D,did you see it? Then he pretended great joy with in his staff presence.
spalco said:
Froome couldn't even definitively shake Kelderman and VDB, he's clearly not at 2013 TdF level yet.
They could gapped Kelderman up to 40s and rest more than a minute imo if they rode full gas.;)

Tactically Froome is inept and has never come across as the sharpest tool in the box. He done nearly all the work today yet still had the strength to win the sprint at the top of the climb. He showed that he is the strongest rider and in the tour Contador will probably have to take time out of Froome somewhere other than the big climbs.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
indianfanboy said:
Froome's attitude was clearly on display today he was obviously feeling good and thought he was way better than everyone,burnt off his team and attacked crazy but failed as he did not expect Contador to hang on.He is gonna lose the tour with these tactics
This;)
jens_attacks said:
..snapped...
if i have to guess, around 6.3 w/kg for froome today. but if someone is really curious about, can time those 500 meters when froome put one of the most brutal attack i ever seen in a cycling race. it's a miracle that contador followed. imo it was sicker than rasmussen's attacks on peyresourde
Really this,I admit I lost my confidence in AC when saw first Dawg attack,but then I was really impressed by Berto.
spalco said:
You don't have to be smart if you're strong. ;)

That is not true when you are racing against Alberto Contador Velasco of Pinto.:p

Sorry for too many quotes,but I couldnt resist.

cauberg1999

BANNED
Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Netserk said:
Just saw the last 5km of today's stage. Froome is hilarious :D Imaging how bad he would do if he wasn't that much stronger than everyone else. Anyone moves = Froome covers. Nobody else pulls = Froome pulls. His progression certainly isn't because of better tactics...

he did the only possible thing to preserve the leadership.not a surprise.alberto would so the same thing if he wants to win gc

LaFlorecita said:
The way things are going now, Froome is going to burn himself up very quickly. He could very well have a bad third week again.

Froome was desperate to show today he is the strongest. I think this obsesive desire to humiliate Contador and everybody else for that matter, will cost him in the long run which is TdF. Already he is struggling to drop his contenders. Sky team is a joke so Froomster will be on his own most of the time on the mountains. He still has the TT to win but it's in the third week. I think we will have a very interesting Tour.

Netserk said:

This, all day long.

I remember posting after one stage of this year's Catalunya about Froome's tactical naivety. Today, having towed Contador to the line, shutting everything else down, going himself a few times, he still beat him. It's like his win at PDBF in TDF '12, doing all the work on the front, and he still won.

He is just crazy strong.

jens_attacks said:
if i have to guess, around 6.3 w/kg for froome today. but if someone is really curious about, can time those 500 meters when froome put one of the most brutal attack i ever seen in a cycling race. it's a miracle that contador followed. imo it was sicker than rasmussen's attacks on peyresourde

exactly 1 minute for the last 500m

webvan said:
A lot to worry about at Team Cound/Sky tonight, Kyrienka useless, Porte, even worse, Bertie hanging on....no free lunch in July...

Kiryienka was on the front of the peloton at 50km to go. Porte and Lopez were the biggest disappointments. And Zandio obviously, who had an absolute shocker and nearly missed the time limit.

cauberg1999 said:
he did the only possible thing to preserve the leadership.not a surprise.alberto would so the same thing if he wants to win gc

Nah, he could have easily let Kelderman or Talansky go and get 10-30 seconds. Even if they took enough to take the lead, he could easily get back that time next weekend and Sky wouldn't have to be responsible for defending the lead the rest of the week.

cauberg1999

BANNED
Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
jaylew said:
Nah, he could have easily let Kelderman or Talansky go and get 10-30 seconds. Even if they took enough to take the lead, he could easily get back that time next weekend and Sky wouldn't have to be responsible for defending the lead the rest of the week.

he wanted to take stage too

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
Froome was desperate to show today he is the strongest. I think this obsesive desire to humiliate Contador and everybody else for that matter, will cost him in the long run which is TdF. Already he is struggling to drop his contenders. Sky team is a joke so Froomster will be on his own most of the time on the mountains. He still has the TT to win but it's in the third week. I think we will have a very interesting Tour.

Yeah,he is really mental with this and druken by own success.
Man,I thought I am a very self-confident man,but it looks like I'm nowhere near Froome's level lol :D

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Given that there were 14 riders within one minute, which other riders do you think would have been able to follow the Alien's attacks in addition to Contador?

Quintana? Valverde? Purito? Uran? Aru? Horner? Majka? Kreuziger? Costa? Wiggo? Bentancur?

TourOfSardinia said:
One of these days Dawg may burn off his borgs and be left alone in the front group and then have bad luck - chain-gate, flat, rogue tifosi etc.
That's when his pushiness may get a come-uppance. No one will ever wait
for such a brat.

For sure. But even if he were a more agreeable person, that would still be a significant risk for someone in his position.

TRENDING THREADS