• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium du Dauphine 2014: Stage 3, Ambert - Le Teil 194 km

PROFIL.png

One for the sprinters? Who, in fact, are the sprinters here besides Arnaud Demare?

After a little research, it seems that some of the potential protagonists for any finishing field sprints in this race are the five riders listed below. Who am I leaving out, both in general and for tomorrow's stage in particular?

Arnaud Demare | FDJ.fr
Yannik Martinez | Team Europcar
Gianni Meersman | Omega Pharma - Quickstep
Giacomo Nizzolo | Trek Factory Racing
Julien Simon | Cofidis, Credit Solutions

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Just a little note: there are TONS of uncategorized climbs in this stage that could have been 3C or 4C.

But well, the pancake-flat final is just going to give this stage to a sprinter.

Anyway, I've been in Le Teil a couple of times. Pretty bland city, however it has a nice climb (Col de la Sabliere from the south using Chemin du Chateau - Rue Camille Claudel) which is a 1.5 km bump at 8 % average and peaks at 12 %. The summit would have been at 5 km from the finish which could have mimiced the Nancy stage in the TDF.

Here's a variant of the pancake flat section:
2JdVd9S.png

With the Col de la Croix de Cruas (2C - 4.3 km @ 6.6 % average with 13 % stretches) 29 km from the finish and of course, the Col de la Sabliere (3C - 1.5 km @ 8 % average with 12 % stretches) 5 km from the finish.

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
christopherrowe said:
After a little research, it seems that some of the potential protagonists for any finishing field sprints in this race are the five riders listed below. Who am I leaving out, both in general and for tomorrow's stage in particular?

Arnaud Demare | FDJ.fr

Arnaud Demare will win this to convince the team director he has to be the sprinter of Le Tour and not Bouhanni.

Nizzolo had a strong Giro but has to be frustrated with his year so far. He's gone second in five races (three at the Giro) and his sole 2014 win was posted all the way back in January at the Tour de San Luis.

Demare, on the other hand, is flying. Five sprint wins, I think, and four of those were in May, with the pair each he took at Dunkerque and Picardie also earning him the overalls in those races.

The TdF sprinter controversy at FDJ.fr seems done and dusted to me with the published long list of thirteen riders including Demare's leadout men Bonnet and Delage (they're here at the Criterium with Demare) and none of Bouhanni's preferred train. I'll actually be interested to see where and how Bouhanni races for the rest of the year, since he's auditioning for a hoped-for million Euro contract on another team (good luck, Nacer!) but maybe not in the best graces of Marc Madiot.

Anyway, for tomorrow, yeah, I tip Demare. I'll have to think about a complete top ten--I anticipate that will be harder to generate in a likely sprint finish than on the mountaintops!

hfer07 said:
Voeckler is meant to win this stage- is written all over it :D

That would be awesome, and I hope to see it happening this week, but tomorrow is the sole day in the race that seems to (almost) guarantee a sprint. I like Stages 4 and 5 for breakaways a lot, though, and Stage 6 for a late stage attack from a mostly intact peloton at that roughly kilometer rise starting at 2K to go, which has a 15% section in it. I think the GC boys will be content to sit in the pack until then, if not until Saturday and Sunday.

christopherrowe said:

Arnaud Demare | FDJ.fr

I'd put Howard and Hushovd ahead of a couple of those guys but yeah, it's a really weak sprint field. Nizzolo ftw if we get a field sprint.

christopherrowe said:

Arnaud Demare | FDJ.fr
Navardauskas could stand a chance although I can't see him beating Demare or Nizzolo on flat sprint, but I can see him beating riders like Simon.

Thanks for giving me some more guys to look at jaylew and Anderis!

So here is my prediction for the Top Ten in tomorrow's stage three.

Arnaud Demare | FDJ.fr
Thor Hushovd | BMC Racing Team
Leigh Howard | Orica GreenEdge
Ramunas Navardauskas | Garmin Sharp
Marco Marcato | Cannondale
William Bonnet | FDJ.fr

My biggest worry is that in this case the "sprinters' teams" won't want to burn matches by putting in the work to control and chase down the inevitable breakaway, which I'm guessing needs to be caught on the ascent of the Col de la Mure.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
jaylew said:
I'd put Howard and Hushovd ahead of a couple of those guys but yeah, it's a really weak sprint field. Nizzolo ftw if we get a field sprint.

Wouldn't put Hushovd ahead of many sprinters today. He's way past it.

Quite fancy Meersman tomorrow.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Oooh er, what a day. The sky bots faltered and `berto stuck to Froome, i like it. The up coming tour of Yorkshire ( with a little bit of France thrown in) may not be the procession that many forecasted. Froome clearly set out to make a statement on today`s stage and Contador was up for the challenge.
Just how much the two protaganists have left in the locker is unclear, but I have feeling that june is going to be great and July even better.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Voeckler is meant to win this stage- is written all over it :D

....Unless of course the Alien has other ideas :rolleyes:

A bit of a Voeckler fan myself but that pancake flat run into the finish will have the sprinters licking their lips. Gotta think their teams will be all over a serial escapee like Voeckler with a finish as sprinter friendly as this one.
Besides Voeckler climbed well yesterday and is riding high in the GC, the peloton wont let him don the leaders jersey, once he gets one of those yellow bibs he wont give it back.

xanadu said:
A bit of a Voeckler fan myself but that pancake flat run into the finish will have the sprinters licking their lips. Gotta think their teams will be all over a serial escapee like Voeckler with a finish as sprinter friendly as this one.
Besides Voeckler climbed well yesterday and is riding high in the GC, the peloton wont let him don the leaders jersey, once he gets one of those yellow bibs he wont give it back.

Agreed. Also, Europcar is likely planning instead to send Kevin Reza up the road with the morning breakaway in search of more mountains jersey points. I anticipate him being among the first over the Cote de Lavet, at least, and maybe the break will stay away all the way to the day's only other categorized climb, the Col de la Mure, 120 undulating kilometers later. Though I also kind of think the sprint teams will want to be back in control of things by that point and so time their catch for that ascent.

TRENDING THREADS