• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium du Dauphine-Stage 6

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Noticed that no one has made a thread for this so...

stage-6

Easily the toughest day of this race, kind of wish this stage was in the tour instead. Will Contador attack Brajkovic? Will Menchov have another go? I think Cappechi could be one to watch today.

EDIT-I fail at posting pictures

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I hope Contador does what his heart tells him, because:

1. If he attacks in this stage, making an expensive and ill-time effort just to shut down the pressure from all his critics, that could very well cost him dearly come the Tour de France.
2. If he doesn't attack, all the lance-fanatics and media will start to bring him down, doubting him, saying he looks weak and if he's not strong enough that could damage his self-confidence, that could very well affect him in the Tour de France.

So, very good luck Contador !!!

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I want to see Conti go crazy and try to break the record. Or beat LA's Alpe D Huez time by like a second!:p

Maybe if it was in the TdF, now it would require going too deep. It's not like he has superhuman powers so he can soft pedal breaking records of a rather suspicious looking list of top times. If he does he looks the most :confused:of them all ;).

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I like Tiralongo for the win here. He looks healthy and he was aiming for a high overall finish at the Giro, so a stage win here would be a nice consolation prize.
Hmmm, but will conti want to win on the alpe?

ErmOkk said:
Maybe if it was in the TdF, now it would require going too deep. It's not like he has superhuman powers so he can soft pedal breaking records of a rather suspicious looking list of top times. If he does he looks the most :confused:of them all ;).

I like the bold part. Hopefully Publicus can ring him up and get his legs going!:D

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
I think Contador will definitely attack considering Radiocrack is fun to beat.If his legs is good, by attacking and claiming this stage he will accomplish two things.
1)he will deal another blow to team Radiocrack's realistic chance of taking a GC win.They have zero or very slim chance at the TDF,the Vuelta and other future races this year.
2)another addition(accomplishment)to his ever growing and expanding palmares

Amazing that it's so hard to get excited about this.

Argentina vs Nigeria or an ascent of the Alpe in what has been a boring Dauphine thus far.

I hope Contador destroys it and sends a warning to any rivals, but I don't think that will be the case :(

Maybe Jurgen will do something.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
surprised why noone mentioned horner. he sure is capable of hanging there for a long time. braj should be able to win the gc though i think berto will try to distance him.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The scenario i see in this stage:

Several attempts to breakaway right from the start that will not succeed, until a group containing, among others, maybe Rein Taramae and Eros Capecchi (the last one trying to gain some more points in the mountain ranking, or perhaps he will send a team mate to secure his jersey and nobody get too much points); more attacks right after Col du Glandon from the riders good on downhill, trying to put a healthy distance between them and the main group until the final climb arrives, so they could climb in their rhytm and maybe grab the stage win; they will catch the initial breakaway before the downhill is over and form a single group, that will be dispersed as soon as Alpe-D'Huez starts; meanwhile, in the pack, Shack will sustain an average pace relay with their 3-4 riders left in the yellow jersey group after the first kilometers of Alpe-D'Huez, and Astana will go in front even if they don't want, the natural pace difference will bring them in front; Contador, along one team mate will go ahead, Brajkovic and Menchov will stay in their wheel, Menchov attacks, but he only manages to get rid of Contador's team mate; they catch the remains of the past breakaways; Contador goes in front in the final kilometre without attacking, just his good pace, Brajkovic tries to stay near him, but he lose some time, but not the yellow jersey, stage win for Contador, who will go up one position in GC.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
^^ you must be a psychic or a palm reader or something ;)

I back Menchov after escaping on the first climb with a small group and hanging on.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
My prediction.

Evans is still sore about losing the queen stage last year because of 'apparent' Spanish corruption. He lets his dog loose on the Alpe which Contador crashes into. He falls hard, does no injury and gets back on his bike. Contador cruises to the stage win!

auscyclefan94 said:
Hmmm, but will conti want to win on the alpe?

I like the bold part. Hopefully Publicus can ring him up and get his legs going!:D

ACF should remember from last year at this very race that AC is a man of his word. He said he wasn't going for the win, that he was only going to try and stay with Cuddles. He did both IIRC. Same will happen here. He will go with whatever move develops from Menchov or JB (really isn't much happening on GC), but otherwise, I don't see him having the team set him up for a solo flight.

TRENDING THREADS