• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cro Race, Croatia 27.09-02.10

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think in the end it was a much needed win for Vivani after a while, and also nice for Mohoric to get some form back after being sick. The best performances definitely came from Milan and Onley at just 19 years of age, they both showed they will be a force in the future.

FeEeMxsXwAQ_rq3

FeEdWP3WIAQ5AIu

I'm not sure that we can call the race management great if a large proportion of the peloton goes the wrong way with 1.5 to go. A bunch of riders must have thought they suddenly had a much better chance for the stage win.
Great was the field they've attracted at this moment.
And the management is just the best part of the event, that's what I've written.

The course through Zagreb was untidy, I agree. Whose responsibility it was I don't know for sure, but wouldn't blame race organizers before the traffic officers. It's an overcrowded city and preparing it for the race caravan isn't that easy without perennial experience and cooperation of the citizens (sort of culture), hence the underground remark. Lines of vehicles were prominent at the majority of junctions throughout the race. Tells what the officers are dealing with and the way they're doing so.

Reactions: Sandisfan
As I see it, Vingegaard lost because Jumbo-Visma's team was weak. They had no riders to take bonus seconds when needed or to launch major attacks.
Could equally say Vingegaard lost because instead of making the stage 3 MTF hard by attacking on the extremely steep section that started around 300m to go (or even earlier), he sat passively in the group only launching in the final 75m after the accelerations of Milan and Onley making the finish much more suited to Mohoric.

People it was the Cro Race and it was a fun race wasn't it?
Vingegaard said congrats to Mohoric, well done with your victory and moves on.

It's not the TdF that was lost. It's ok :)
Exactly.
It's easy to make an excuse for the Tour loss, but a Tour champion losing the Cro Race... Inexplicable... Unforgivable... SCANDALOUS!

But every cloud has a silver lining... A victory of an Alpine Serb should do better for regional cycling than a victory of a stray Viking.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Jos van Emden was furious with the UCI. The final circuit was a disgrace and it wasn't the first final circuit during the CRO Race that was a disgrace regarding safety. Riders went to the UCI commissary, but ofcourse they didn't do crap about it.

To be honest the final circuit had some really dodgy parts which shouldn't be used for road racing so I do have to agree with Jos on this one.

Jos also said that the team and Vingegaard decided not to take risks and thus not contest for the seconds. I don't think that if they would that Vingegaard would've won, but I think it was the right choice. It's just the Cro race afterall.

Could equally say Vingegaard lost because instead of making the stage 3 MTF hard by attacking on the extremely steep section that started around 300m to go (or even earlier), he sat passively in the group only launching in the final 75m after the accelerations of Milan and Onley making the finish much more suited to Mohoric.

That's an explanation, too. But it would be hard for Vingegaard to create big gaps on stages without major climbs. He has never done that.

TRENDING THREADS