• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cro Race, Croatia 27.09-02.10

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
FWIW: While Milan has achieved a lot on the track, he doesn't actually have a huge background in it or really specializes in it. At least so the story goes that one of the staff at CTF in 2019 contacted the italian national team and said they should try Milan out because they thought he'd be good at the TP (massive sprinter who can get in a flat back position being a pretty good blueprint for a pursuit rider). Back half of 2019 he competed in his first international track meet (u23 euros), then made pretty rapid improvements from there (even up to 2021 Milan was known for being not particularly great technically on the track, probably because of his relative lack of experience compared to some).

I'd also look out for him in TT's in the future if he goes to a team with a bit better infrastructure, as he was a pretty big TT talent in u23s (5th at euros at 19, won NC) and considering his size and climbing ability must have truly massive raw power.
Yes, most of the Italian track guys have come up through team Colpack (Ganna, Consonni and Lamon for example), where Ivan Quaranta actually did a great job as the coach who also worked with them on the Track.

Yes, he has a big engine and IMO also potential as a TTer, combined with his sprinting ability that kinda screams spring classics to me.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think I'm with Kirby here. The city's name is obviously not Milan in Italian and the English version has the emphasis on the last syllable whereas the name wouldn't have that in Italian.
I wasn't talking about the emphasis. I was talking about Kirby saying my-lan instead of mee-lan.
The emphasis is tricky in Italian names (I get that, and this is a case where I'm not even sure where it goes) but that's not what surprised me.

I wasn't talking about the emphasis. I was talking about Kirby saying my-lan instead of mee-lan.
The emphasis is tricky in Italian names (I get that, and this is a case where I'm not even sure where it goes) but that's not what surprised me.

Haha okay, that sounds like a really bad way of pronouncing it :tearsofjoy:

But yeah, Italian stressing seems like a bit of guessing game. Like, who could logically explain why Canola, Modolo, Nibali and Cunego have stress on the first syllable while Caruso, Simoni and Moreni have it on the second?

Reactions: SafeBet
Haha okay, that sounds like a really bad way of pronouncing it :tearsofjoy:

But yeah, Italian stressing seems like a bit of guessing game. Like, who could logically explain why Canola, Modolo, Nibali and Cunego have stress on the first syllable while Caruso, Simoni and Moreni have it on the second?
There's no logic, but in most cases you're stressing the second to last syllable (Caruso, Fortunato, Zana, etc), regardless of how many syllables the name contains.
Third to last syllable (like Piccolo, Formolo, Nibali, Canola, etc) is not prevalent.
Stress on the last syllable is common with family names ending with a consonant, often from the north-east regions like Trentino, Veneto, Friuli.
There's no general rule though.

Back to the race: is Milan climbing well enough to win the GC?

Macedonia/FYROM has become North Macedonia.
Once there was Tour of Yugoslavia. And it's scarcely mentioned, during contemporary races we can watch, as a piece of cycling tradition.
Right, corrected that.

Tour of Yugoslavia was still around in the 1990s, that's wild, for amateurs until the last three editions. Ruslan Ivanov, the Liquigas and Alessio rider from Moldova, won in 1996. Piotr Ugrumov second in 1981, he was really old when he finally got to race Giro and Tour, Pavel Tonkov second in 1988. In 1949 it was won by Luigi Malabrocca, the maglia nera guy from Giro d'Italia.

stage 2: Otočac-Zadar, 163km
Cro-Race-2022-Tappa-2-Altimetria.jpg

Cro-Race-2022-Tappa-2-Planimetria.jpg

There's no logic, but in most cases you're stressing the second to last syllable (Caruso, Fortunato, Zana, etc), regardless of how many syllables the name contains.
Third to last syllable (like Piccolo, Formolo, Nibali, Canola, etc) is not prevalent.
Stress on the last syllable is common with family names ending with a consonant, often from the north-east regions like Trentino, Veneto, Friuli.
There's no general rule though.

Back to the race: is Milan climbing well enough to win the GC?
It probably depends on the team tactics, I'd say based on his climbing on the steep sections yesterday, probably just about good enough if he dominates the sprint stages. Although I could certainly see Mohoric sabotaging Milan like he tried to do to Colbrelli back in Binckbank last year and well... yesterday to Milan.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Right, corrected that.

Tour of Yugoslavia was still around in the 1990s, that's wild, for amateurs until the last three editions. Ruslan Ivanov, the Liquigas and Alessio rider from Moldova, won in 1996. Piotr Ugrumov second in 1981, he was really old when he finally got to race Giro and Tour, Pavel Tonkov second in 1988. In 1949 it was won by Luigi Malabrocca, the maglia nera guy from Giro d'Italia.

stage 2: Otočac-Zadar, 163km
Cro-Race-2022-Tappa-2-Altimetria.jpg

Cro-Race-2022-Tappa-2-Planimetria.jpg
Zoetemelk, Kuiper, Van Avermaet's grandpa, Van Aert's uncle... some interesting names in the roll of honor.

It probably depends on the team tactics, I'd say based on his climbing on the steep sections yesterday, probably just about good enough if he dominates the sprint stages. Although I could certainly see Mohoric sabotaging Milan like he tried to do to Colbrelli back in Binckbank last year and well... yesterday to Milan.

Do you have any ideas how confusing that was? I only saw the first half of SafeBet's post at first - the bit about pronunciation - and then your reply:
"It depends team tactics."

TRENDING THREADS