• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cuisine Corner

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
I will assume you mean the more tex-mex version.
20060923mexicancooking27emachaca.jpg

Beef Machaca

In the wheat fields and cattle ranches of Sonora, Mexico, we can find culinary history that is a major influence in Tex-Mex cuisine today. In Sonora, wheat flour tortillas and traditional Machaca come together to make burritas. They are an everyday type of taco there.

Machaca in its traditional form is the Mexican equivalent of beef jerky. It is basically beef that has been marinated, cooked, shredded and dried. The drying process preserved the beef, made it easy to pack on the trail, and it also gave the machaca a unique texture when prepared in the traditional fashion. In Tex-Mex cuisine, an adapted version of the traditional machaca is a staple that can be served alone with tortillas and taco fixings.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
machacha..where it is combined with eggs and oil/chicken broth(?) I have seen them make it a small cafes and taco shops (Robertos,ect) I have always enjoyed it on a plate, with beans and rice to be pinched up with tortillas or in a burro w a fist full of cheese before rollin' it up. Thanks for posting it. La Estancia in TJ used to be ride halfway point for a few of us..breakfast and then home..alternate between Huevos Ala Mexicana..one you don't see on the CA border is Albondigas Soup..in Phx, Tucson you can find it. Doing a S.Cal race trip in May..even if my form is off my diet will be on..place in Chula Vista (a women's name?) for Camaronnes Ranchero or Diablo ..Mariscos Marisol..?

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Actually I could murder this just now after 6 weeks of dieting:
Pie-n-Mash.jpg_thumb.jpg

Possibly with these as a starter:
503104338_045cf595ed.jpg

with plenty of vinegar, obviously. My husband swears that you have to be weaned on this stuff to enjoy it (he wasn't). Anyone else been able to eat jellied eels without gagging?

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
In Denmark

kelvedon wonder said:
Actually I could murder this just now after 6 weeks of dieting:
Pie-n-Mash.jpg_thumb.jpg

Possibly with these as a starter:
503104338_045cf595ed.jpg

with plenty of vinegar, obviously. My husband swears that you have to be weaned on this stuff to enjoy it (he wasn't). Anyone else been able to eat jellied eels without gagging?

eels with a shot of aakavit, beer chaser, round the group by turns... don't remember what the eels tasted like.... don't remember much.. skol

Mar 16, 2009
I did catering out of my house for a couple of years. I took some cooking and baking classes and watched a lot of cooking shows on TV. Not to mention all the books I bought.
I did not like prostituting my art for money. So I decided writing a cookbook would be better.
Well I have pics and I have recipes but no pics of recipes or recipes of pics:eek:
But the new plan is either YouTube or live stream cooking show.

Grilled Pork Chop, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes

180502_10150395769855012_507150011_17155490_8149443_n.jpg

Mar 16, 2009
Cobblestoned said:
You forgot the Kartoffelpüree. :eek:

We call this smoked pork "Kassler", and traditionally we eat it with Sauerkraut and Kartoffelpüree.
No potatoes:mad:
Not smoked just slow roasted in the oven. And canned sauerkraut smuggled into Mexico from the US.:eek:
Maybe this would be more to your liking

Königsberger Klopse, mashed potatoes, dandelion,tomato and onion salad.

035.JPG

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
No potatoes:mad:
Not smoked just slow roasted in the oven. And canned sauerkraut smuggled into Mexico from the US.:eek:
Maybe this would be more to your liking

Königsberger Klopse, mashed potatoes, dandelion,tomato and onion salad.

Ahhh yes, you can add Karpern(capers) to this.
I like it more with rice - and without salad.

Salad is for

btw, my Mr.Cat eats Gurken. I always throw them off the baker's sandwiches. He likes them. :D

My wife is Japanese so we frequently eat Japanese food. Besides that, I love it all.
Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Persian, Mexican, Italian, Greek. Every country has something fantastic to offer.
Moving to California all those years ago truly was eye opening from a gastronomic standpoint.