• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cunego: You can't win clean!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BanProCycling said:
Okay I will try to get into the spirit of the clinic...

I'm surprised nobody here has highlighted the amount of riders that have gone out with stomach cramps in the first week. Half of Quick Step has gone, and the boy Schleck. Usually infections can play apart in the last week, but its unusual for so many to go out now.

Do you think they could be worried about the new focus on crit levels after the Denmark guy?

In a word...NO!

BPC: A little out of topic. But IMHO, this happens a lot during the Vuelta. Usually during the second and third week. But the main reason is because a lot of the riders are preparing for the worlds. So they pull out to avoid big stress on their legs. Another reason is that some of the riders have a commitment to go to the Vuelta, but do not want to go initially. So a medical excuse is handy.
Again, this is just my opinion

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
BPC: Correct. Nobody will accept it. It is disrespectful with the Vuelta organization. Historically speaking, they haven't done that. Maybe every now and then a rider here and there accepts it. But that's it

It deserves it's own thread tbh (and yes BPC, good observation, a good point for the clinic).

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
If Cunego is winning at that level he's likely taken some packed red cells at some point.

Now... Did Cunego go clean at some point... What you'd look for is finishing outside top 40 or so in Grand Tours any higher is simply not possible imo... He'd never pull the pack or breakaways if he could even get into one, and he'd not win $hit at this point because all the teams and doctors have figured out the passport to the point where many blood doped this year. Although last year the "pace" of the pack was a fair bit slower and only a few could blood dope last yr.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Yes. That's exactly what he's (not) saying. They have laws against it in Italy.

Just because there are laws against it, doesn't stop it from happening. It is illegal to drive a car drunk, but people still do.

craig1985 said:
Just because there are laws against it, doesn't stop it from happening. It is illegal to drive a car drunk, but people still do.

When you drive drunk, a video of it doesn't necessarily appear in every news outlet.

If he made direct admissions, he opens himself up for a world of legal trouble. He'd be, as they say, going on the record.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Anyway, I haven't seen him climb this good since the 2006 Giro. And even then he wasn't this strong.
Looks good for the worlds and Lombardy.
Maybe Coppi's record in Lombardy might be broken by Cunego?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BanProCycling said:
Well I do have an idea what he meant but I don't know for sure, so I wouldn't state as fact 'Kelly clearly thought he was doped'. I'm not like that.

I'll keep you posted on any other noises he makes. ;)

Cunego is an enigma. he's either flying up the climbs or he's with the grupetto. i won't say anything else about him. I like how cunego always builds his season around Lombardy - the last race in the season :rolleyes:

According to bigboat, negativety is the spice of life. For BPC, naiveity is the spice of life;)