• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team. Thanks!

Current Top GT Riders

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is the 4th best GT racer?

• Kruijswijk

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Aru

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Landa

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Nibali

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • Porte

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Van Garderen

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Rodriguez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Valverde

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Pinot

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
As said on many occasions ...there is only one way to judge GT riders and that is by results...and its the only way....riding well or top 10 but great climber etc does not wash it especially as form/age etc are not always comparable
Plus perceived potential is not either (though many on here continuously list those with few results alongside those of many)

so
Contador,Froome,Nibali & Quintana are definiley at this point in league one. Aru is about to enter league one

If Krushweak wins on Sunday he is definitely in league 2 with the possibility of moving up
Also in league 2 are Pinot , Landa, Valverde ,Purito , Uran (with the possibility of moving down)

League 3a have potential but may have yet done more than top 10 in a GT
Chaves, Zakarin, Dumoulin, Thomas,Bardet, TjVG, Majka, Talansky, Kelderman,Martin

Then there is league 3b
Riders who have done good top 10s but are not riding for themselves anymore or age is not on their side but stlll capable in form and with the opportunity to get a top 10/top 5
Konig , Kreuziger, Gesink, JvdB, Roche,Henao, Nieve, Trovimov, Rolland, Peraud,Pozzo, Samu, Hesjedal

And finally there are some great riders who can do it all but have not shown any consistency YET in a grand tour
Porte, Poels, Barguil, ..they could end up in league 2 or 3b

Re:

HelloDolly said:
As said on many occasions ...there is only one way to judge GT riders and that is by results...and its the only way....riding well or top 10 but great climber etc does not wash it especially as form/age etc are not always comparable
Plus perceived potential is not either (though many on here continuously list those with few results alongside those of many)

so
Contador,Froome,Nibali & Quintana are definiley at this point in league one. Aru is about to enter league one

If Krushweak wins on Sunday he is definitely in league 2 with the possibility of moving up
Also in league 2 are Pinot , Landa, Valverde ,Purito , Uran (with the possibility of moving down)

League 3a have potential but may have yet done more than top 10 in a GT
Chaves, Zakarin, Dumoulin, Thomas,Bardet, TjVG, Majka, Talansky, Kelderman,Martin

Then there is league 3b
Riders who have done good top 10s but are not riding for themselves anymore or age is not on their side but stlll capable in form and with the opportunity to get a top 10/top 5
Konig , Kreuziger, Gesink, JvdB, Roche,Henao, Nieve, Trovimov, Rolland, Peraud,, Samu, Hesjedal

And finally there are some great riders who can do it all but have not shown any consistency YET in a grand tour
Porte, Poels, Barguil, ..they could end up in league 2 or 3b

I agree with most of them but I would put Landa in the so called league 3a. If he gets another good GT result then I would put him in league 2 but right now 3rd place in last years giro is all he has.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Results are only part of the story, especially podiums or wins. Limiting the admissible evidence to those results throws away a huge amount of information relevant to predicting future GT success.

For instance, you make your judgement on Crushweak conditional on him persevering until Sunday, but regardless of his final GT position, we have already learned a great deal about him in this Giro. If he fails before Sunday, the extent to which we have to adjust our expectations of what he'll do in the future depends on the circumstances of his failure. The worst, in terms of his future potential, is if he cracked completely. It would still be a downer if he had an episode of weakness like Contador did last year. But if a tactical call goes unforeseeably wrong, if he falls ill or crashes, if Chaves or Zakarin or Valverde suddenly get another 50 watts, we would learn little new.

Re:

The Hegelian said:
Thing about Porte is that he's ridden exactly one GT fully prepared and as the designated leader. I agree that he's not in the same category as the others, because all have delivered results after 3 weeks.

But - don't think we've really seen enough to say 'impossible.' We've seen him ride well into the 3rd week before, but as a domestique.

The internet hatred and the reality getting a bit conflated methinks.
Rubén Plaza made some big rides last year in the 3rd week of the TdF and the Vuelta, and was impressive last Tuesday working for Chaves on the way to Andalo. Shall we add him to the list as well?

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Nibali obviously. He had a bad TdF last year and he still finished 4th. This Giro is hurting his top 4 status badly but I don't think we can drop him until he bombs at another GT.

After Nibali, and I must say that it could change depending on the GT, this is my current list:
Aru
Valverde
Kruijswijk
Chaves
Landa
Pinot
Gesink
Rodriguez
Doumulin
Majka
Bardet
Van Garderen

Dropped from what would've been my list last year:
Uran

Never in my list:
Porte

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

SergeDeM said:
Nibali obviously. He had a bad TdF last year and he still finished 4th. This Giro is hurting his top 4 status badly but I don't think we can drop him until he bombs at another GT.

After Nibali, and I must say that it could change depending on the GT, this is my current list:
Aru
Valverde
Kruijswijk
Chaves
Landa
Pinot
Gesink
Rodriguez
Doumulin
Majka
Bardet
Van Garderen

Uran

Never in my list:
Porte
Seriously?

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site

CheckMyPecs said:
SergeDeM said:

Aru
Valverde
Kruijswijk
Chaves
Landa
Pinot
Gesink
Rodriguez
Doumulin
Majka
Bardet
Van Garderen

Uran

Never in my list:
Porte
Seriously?
People rate Porte, so I figure there's some artistic leeway in these lists :p

I think Nibali has proven he is still a quality rider over the last few days. Despite him being a tool on occasions eg Stage 18, Last Vuelta and attacking Froome during mechanical etc etc.

Then i would have Aru (Since he's proven over his last 4 grand tours that he's quality. Despite him also being unpopular in the peleton etc

I'd then have Valverde as he is sooooooo consistent, but his powers are fading.

I'd have Landa after, I think he's possibly the best climber in the peleton after the big 4.

The Chaves and Kruijswijk are about equal for me.

After that it is very difficult to choose depends since they have beaten each other on various occasions.
Pinot
Doumulin
Porte
Van Garderen
Gesink
Majka
Zakarin
Bardet
Uran

My reasoning putting Porte high up is as we have seen that he has the ability on the climbs especially from stage 8 2013, 9 2014 and 10 2015. He never has bad days in short stage races, he's just got to carry that through. Which i think eventually he will!

Oliwright said:
I think Nibali has proven he is still a quality rider over the last few days. Despite him being a tool on occasions eg Stage 18, Last Vuelta and attacking Froome during mechanical etc etc.

Then i would have Aru (Since he's proven over his last 4 grand tours that he's quality. Despite him also being unpopular in the peleton etc

I'd then have Valverde as he is sooooooo consistent, but his powers are fading.

I'd have Landa after, I think he's possibly the best climber in the peleton after the big 4.

The Chaves and Kruijswijk are about equal for me.

After that it is very difficult to choose depends since they have beaten each other on various occasions.
Pinot
Doumulin
Porte
Van Garderen
Gesink
Majka
Zakarin
Bardet
Uran

My reasoning putting Porte high up is as we have seen that he has the ability on the climbs especially from stage 8 2013, 9 2014 and 10 2015. He never has bad days in short stage races, he's just got to carry that through. Which i think eventually he will!

He is over 30, he should start soon ...

Re:

Põhja Konn said:
Nibali still the best of those in the poll, but Aru and Pinot are not that far behind. Those two I consider about equal right now. Aru has a better palmares, but I don't consider him a better rider than Pinot.

Pinot and Aru, we'll find out in July. BTW, there're many who don't quite know Tibopino. Here's his resume so far...I ried to match the music to the video, first-timer,I'm no Spielberg :eek: . Old footages included.

https://youtu.be/GoGGZk2y3Eg

Tonton said:
Põhja Konn said:
Nibali still the best of those in the poll, but Aru and Pinot are not that far behind. Those two I consider about equal right now. Aru has a better palmares, but I don't consider him a better rider than Pinot.

Pinot and Aru, we'll find out in July. BTW, there're many who don't quite know Tibopino. Here's his resume so far...

T.S.O.

Hahaha. :D :D Oh god, I don't even know if I want to watch now.

Valv.Piti said:
Tonton said:
Põhja Konn said:

Pinot and Aru, we'll find out in July. BTW, there're many who don't quite know Tibopino. Here's his resume so far...

T.S.O.

Hahaha. :D :D Oh god, I don't even know if I want to watch now.
:D . My Vuelta design was kicking my b*tt, so I decided to design something, tried to match music and video, refresh.

Last two days have changed it for me, Nibali has finally shown some good form. I still doubt that Nibali would have won if Landa had stayed fit, but until we see Landa put in a good showing for 3 weeks as a team leader, I'm putting Nibs 4th:

Nibali
Landa
Pinot
Kruijswijk
Aru
Valverde
Chaves
Everyone else

Chaves has a long way to go with his TTing and again showed weakness in the final week. Good signs of progress from Chavito though