• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

curse of the world champions jersey?

A

Anonymous

DarkWing said:
two negatives makes a positive.

absolutely.

i think he will gain something special from the rainbow... CONFIDENCE

he will now realise that he can win, against the odds, rather than the energy-sapping 2nd and 3rd places that he's used to.

i gaurantee - this is the turning point of his career. maybe not winning the TDF, but giro, vuelta, fleche and leige should be achievable in the next two years. i even think a shot at flanders is possible

Mountain Goat said:
absolutely.

i think he will gain something special from the rainbow... CONFIDENCE

he will now realise that he can win, against the odds, rather than the energy-sapping 2nd and 3rd places that he's used to.

i gaurantee - this is the turning point of his career. maybe not winning the TDF, but giro, vuelta, fleche and leige should be achievable in the next two years. i even think a shot at flanders is possible

Flanders????? You're kidding right? I can respect that the Evans fans are on an all time high but let's be serious!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
how could it get any worse from this year?

BroDeal said:
How will we be able to tell the curse of the WC jersey from Evans usual bad luck and lack of results?

Simple.... if he has a similar year to this year but doesn't win the WC next year, then he is cursed! ;)

auscyclefan94 said:
how could it get any worse from this year?

Was this year that bad considering the recent results? The WC more than makes up for the Tour disaester and the Vuelta podium while a disappointment has to be looked at as a positive since the alternative could've been no podium and abandoning like more than half of the other riders who claimed to be prepping for the WC's.

With the WC this could be his best year yet. It's not going to get any easier from here. The pressure is mounting.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
The World's curse would have to be some pretty powerful mojo to beat Cadel's 2009. How will we recognize this curse? Will his teammates underperform? Hmmm. Will his DS make tactically unsound decisions? Wait a minute... maybe the 'neutral' mechs from Shimano will jump out of the car, step on his dog, kick him in the junk, and THEN take a minute plus to change his wheel.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
The curse will come around next year following the win of the jersey? or maybe Evans will join the likes of Eddy Merckx, Bernard Hinault and Greg LeMond all won the Tour de France wearing the Rainbow Jersey...

dblueroom said:
The curse will come around next year following the win of the jersey? or maybe Evans will join the likes of Eddy Merckx, Bernard Hinault and Greg LeMond all won the Tour de France wearing the Rainbow Jersey...

very interesting suggestion for next year lets hope cavendish doesnt win it then...............

A

Anonymous

Angliru said:
Flanders????? You're kidding right? I can respect that the Evans fans are on an all time high but let's be serious!

i think he should give it a shot, i.e. participate in the race and see how it goes.. not necessarily aiming to win, but the point was to try a different schedule for 2010, rather than the same stage-races leading into the tour like the last 4 years.

when many posters (including me) said cadel could be WC, a similar response was:

"WC???? You're kidding right?".... interesting;)??

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Silence-Lotto Evans wants to motivate the Giro or the Vuelta

Pare jersey rainbow sky, Cadel Evans (Silence-Lotto) should continue to 32 years, focusing on his obsession to always win the Tour de France. "It's his No. 1 goal, he focused over its entire season, missed his athletic director Herman Frisian, interviewed Sunday by http://www.cyclismag.com Mendrisio. Il ajoute : He added: "We must be realistic. With Contador and Armstrong Schleck, it will be very difficult to win the Tour in the coming years. I would love to put it into his head to one day win the Giro or the Vuelta. It would be a victory. This goal is within reach. "
3rd in the last Tour of Spain, Cadel Evans has twice finished 2nd in the Tour de France and four times in the top 10. Sa meilleure place sur le Tour d'Italie, 14e, remonte à son époque Mapei, en 2002. His best finish on the Tour of Italy, 14th, back in his day Mapei in 2002.
http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=5333#ancre1

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
i think he should give it a shot, i.e. participate in the race and see how it goes.. not necessarily aiming to win, but the point was to try a different schedule for 2010, rather than the same stage-races leading into the tour like the last 4 years.

when many posters (including me) said cadel could be WC, a similar response was:

"WC???? You're kidding right?".... interesting;)??

Riding flanders would be a total waste of time for CE. Van Avermaet and Gilbert can ride that as they have reasonable squad for that race.

A

Anonymous

krebs303 said:
Silence-Lotto Evans wants to motivate the Giro or the Vuelta

I hope he agrees. I think it would be good for his head to ride the giro/vuelta double and give the tour a rest for one year.

If he wins the giro, then perhaps attempts the tour, but given menchov's performance at the TDF, i think it would be better for him to have a rest, then try at the vuelta.

Hypothetically, if he wins either the giro or the vuelta in 2010, this could be a launching pad for the TDF in 2011. A recharge of the batteries for Cadel will definately benefit him.

As many have said, the fact the Deni Menchov has 3 GT's to his name and Cadel has zero, doesn't really make sense. Menchov was smart to focus on other GT's to add to his palmares

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
I hope he agrees. I think it would be good for his head to ride the giro/vuelta double and give the tour a rest for one year.

If he wins the giro, then perhaps attempts the tour, but given menchov's performance at the TDF, i think it would be better for him to have a rest, then try at the vuelta.

Hypothetically, if he wins either the giro or the vuelta in 2010, this could be a launching pad for the TDF in 2011. A recharge of the batteries for Cadel will definately benefit him.

As many have said, the fact the Deni Menchov has 3 GT's to his name and Cadel has zero, doesn't really make sense. Menchov was smart to focus on other GT's to add to his palmares

I think that is a good idea. You should become cadel's coach:D

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I think that is a good idea. You should become cadel's coach:D
Become his coach... geez.
I can tell you now, TdF is Cadel's primary goal and that won't change anytime soon.
Yeh, the Giro and Vuelta sometimes have fields with lesser GC contenders but that still doesn't mean he will win them either.
These are the thoughts of one team manager, his thoughts his ideas; will they supply Cadel with the best team to win those races or will they be held in reserve for the "Great Belgian Hope" JvdB??:cool:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Become his coach... geez.
I can tell you now, TdF is Cadel's primary goal and that won't change anytime soon.
Yeh, the Giro and Vuelta sometimes have fields with lesser GC contenders but that still doesn't mean he will win them either.
These are the thoughts of one team manager, his thoughts his ideas; will they supply Cadel with the best team to win those races or will they be held in reserve for the "Great Belgian Hope" JvdB??:cool:

I was being sarcastic:D;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I was being sarcastic:D;)

i think Van den Broeck should do the Vuelta/Giro as they usually don't have too much time trialing in those races though i think cadel is quite fond of the vuelta so Vdb might do the Giro.

Jurgen has ridden 8th at he Giro before and got 15th at the tour this year but in both of those tours he was given free reign by other teams as he was no threat.

TRENDING THREADS