• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling Australia vice-president steps down after admitting to doping

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
I was wondering the same about Allan Peiper (leaving Garmin to become BMC's "high performance" director to help them with altitude training camps - ala Kerrison - after taking Ryder to his Giro win) and Brad McGee, leaving Saxo Bank to go and work in Aus with the NSWIS.

Doping history fall-out (of the person leaving), salary increase, or...?

Playing devil's bustard child for a second (sorry, staying in the role I have assumed):

Garmin is team clean. Surely anyone wanting to help young riders get into cycling in a clean way would be keen to work with Garmin and continue the good work they do - proving not only can you finish a GT clean, but you can win a GT clean.

Peiper was the person that directed Ryder to his win.

Surely Ryder and Garmin's income is up now that they have a GT win under their belt? Surely there's a bit more money for Peiper?

BMC offer Peiper more money than Garmin and so he leaves? Money trumps proving that you can win GTs clean and helping young riders survive clean in a dirty, dirty peloton?

What am I missing?

the team clean thing

reads like obama's first campaign hopey changey thingy

SSDD

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
You know that Cycling is still trouble with doping when prominent media figures still say "Stephen Hodges" and "integrity" in the same sentence. The media is still spineless and has not learned ANYTHING.

Dear Wiggo said:
Sounds like Tim Kerrison's role at Sky tbh.

Hardly.

Peiper is highly experienced in cycling management, that will be his role at BMC.

Kerrison (re)invents random technical "improvements" from a non-cycling perspective which are claimed to give performance gains of 5-7%. What does Kerrison know about running a cycling team?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Ferminal said:
Hardly.

Peiper is highly experienced in cycling management, that will be his role at BMC.

Kerrison (re)invents random technical "improvements" from a non-cycling perspective which are claimed to give performance gains of 5-7%. What does Kerrison know about running a cycling team?

I agree Peiper knows cycling, management and DS'ing, but he's not in management any more. Here's how they describe his new role:
BMC Racing have confirmed that Allan Peiper is to join the squad as performance director.

Peiper’s responsibilities at BMC will include overseeing “
altitude/training camps” as well as
equipment testing,
race reconnaissance,
rider nutritional needs and
velodrome testing.

"Teams have gotten so big in the last few years – with nearly 30 riders, a lot of staff, and many races on many continents," Peiper said. "Getting things like wind tunnel testing, training camps, data analysis and feedback to riders and coaches to make sure everyone is on the same page is a big job. I think that will be the big challenge for me in the first year."

“That way, the directors can concentrate solely on the riders, the selection of riders for races, and race strategy,” Lelangue said.

“Basically, he'll (Peiper) be involved in all the things that make the difference between being second or third or being first."
2nd & 3rd vs 1st: ie the 1%ers.

Compare to Kerrison's title and "work":
Kerrison, whose title is head of performance science, as the man who
collates and analyses all the data. He is also credited with helping to
build a coaching structure at Sky that, if it is not already the envy of other teams, might well be after this Tour.

Team Sky's sport scientist, Tim Kerrison, spotted that British Tour cyclists were struggling particularly with three challenges - the heat, the altitude and the climbs. So the team trained intensively at altitude (sic), in the heat, and on mountain ascents.

Peiper is definitely >> Kerrison when it comes to cycling knowledge and experience, but their roles, I believe, are the same.

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I think the media are actually getting there.

The Omertà is breaking here and the journalists are not scared now of pushing it.

That whole fabrication that Matt White had been cleared over the 2010 stuff - that was perpetuated by CA. ASADA are saying WHAT? The whole thing will fall apart now. Hodge probably had stuff happen on his watch that is being uncovered as we speak - and he probably knew that he had to go. I don't think these guys have the sophistication of the Armstrong machine (i.e - professional cover ups) - as the journos dig deeper.

It is pointing to what Kimmage said was necessary - that is, root and branch reform - brutal maybe, and painful but ultimately cleansing.

Dear Wiggo said:
I agree Peiper knows cycling, management and DS'ing, but he's not in management any more. Here's how they describe his new role:

2nd & 3rd vs 1st: ie the 1%ers.

Compare to Kerrison's title and "work":

Peiper is definitely >> Kerrison when it comes to cycling knowledge and experience, but their roles, I believe, are the same.

That's just BMC-speak. His job will be to manage everything related to the entire squad of riders. It means they are splitting Lelangue's job in two: Peiper (rider management) and Lelangue (chief DS).

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
I was wondering the same about Allan Peiper (leaving Garmin to become BMC's "high performance" director to help them with altitude training camps - ala Kerrison - after taking Ryder to his Giro win) and Brad McGee, leaving Saxo Bank to go and work in Aus with the NSWIS.

What am I missing?

Brad McGee has a young family living in NSW and he works on the other side of the world.

Sep 29, 2012
Ferminal said:
That's just BMC-speak. His job will be to manage everything related to the entire squad of riders. It means they are splitting Lelangue's job in two: Peiper (rider management) and Lelangue (chief DS).

So you don't think they used similar words to describe his new role to the role Kerrison is doing? BMC-speak?

Peiper:
Getting things like
wind tunnel testing,
training camps,
data analysis and feedback to
riders and coaches to make sure everyone is on the same page

Kerrison:
Shane brought in Tim and said, ‘I want all the numbers and the requirements to win the Tour’

my physiologist Tim Kerrison went away and looked at the figures;

He is also credited with helping to build a coaching structure at Sky that, if it is not already the envy of other teams, might well be after this Tour.

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
If the job came from the palmares, and the palmares came from cheating...

I applaud Hodge's decision. I bet he is feeling tremendous relief right now.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Ozzie2 said:
This is good, and it is bad.

Is this where it begins?
Men and women with integrity.
What an act of honesty and integrity. I applaud this man and his actions.

If he were that, he should never have taken the job in the first place, no need to heroize the guy for feeling guilty a decade later.

Sep 29, 2012
Ferminal said:
As far as I'm aware, Kerrison is in a technical advisory role.

Peiper is a manager.

The closest at Sky to Peiper's role would probably be Sutton.

It was Krebs Cycle or someone who said, "You watch, the other teams will catch on and start copying Team Sky and their approach". BMC want to win - well ok they all do - but to me it looked like a fulfillment of that prophecy.

Sep 29, 2012
Fidolix said:
Ozzie2 said:
This is good, and it is bad.

Is this where it begins?
Men and women with integrity.
What an act of honesty and integrity. I applaud this man and his actions.

If he were that, he should never have taken the job in the first place, no need to heroize the guy for feeling guilty a decade later.

And JV? And Riis? etc, etc???

Name 2 people in cycling who rode but are not touched by doping ?

McQuaid is banned from the Olympics ffs.
Kimmage doped.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
sashimono said:
If the job came from the palmares, and the palmares came from cheating...

I applaud Hodge's decision. I bet he is feeling tremendous relief right now.

The job, for which he is paid the princely sum of $0, is a result of many years of service to the Australian cycling community, including serving other lower roles, and helping many young riders.

A decision he made, which he obviously regrets, was made in a different time, when there were different expectations in cycling and professional and amateur sport. To completely write off the man (which I am not suggesting you are doing) because of applying todays standards to actions taken 20 years ago is unfair. He has made the correct decision as he has stated, that it would be hypocritical to sit in judgement on Matt White, and possibly others, for something which he himself has done.

Dear Wiggo said:
It was Krebs Cycle or someone who said, "You watch, the other teams will catch on and start copying Team Sky and their approach". BMC want to win - well ok they all do - but to me it looked like a fulfillment of that prophecy.

No I agree on that point.

But Peiper is a manger, he wouldn't be dropping a 2IC job at Slipstream to study Cadel Evans' cadence, he will be paying someone to do that, or managing a division whose job it is to do that.

Sep 29, 2012
PCutter said:
A decision he made, which he obviously regrets, was made in a different time, when there were different expectations in cycling and professional and amateur sport. To completely write off the man (which I am not suggesting you are doing) because of applying todays standards to actions taken 20 years ago is unfair. He has made the correct decision as he has stated, that it would be hypocritical to sit in judgement on Matt White, and possibly others, for something which he himself has done.

A point I had not even begun to consider. Chapeau.

Sep 29, 2012
Ferminal said:
No I agree on that point.

But Peiper is a manger, he wouldn't be dropping a 2IC job at Slipstream to study Cadel Evans' cadence, he will be paying someone to do that, or managing a division whose job it is to do that.

Hmmmm. Do I need a PhD to watch someone's cadence? Where do I sign up?!

I think Alan Peiper's essay as he decribed the pain of his last competitive professional race was one of the first I read when I first got into cycling. I was reminded of it when I read "A Rough Ride" by Kimmage - similar style and experiences.

I mean no disrespect, but to me it sounded like they were both being advertised as taking on a role which is purely for show, to help explain a jump in performance the following year.

I look forward to being proven completely wrong, when BMC continue with a gradual progression in 2013.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Of his time with ONCE this 2011 “where are they now” article at Cycling Tips records that Hodge:

… remembers ONCE being a very tight unit, several years before “things changed and it all went bad”.

Run by Manolo Saiz, ONCE introduced a new management style to cycling, more professional management, with very close supervision in coaching, equipment choice and training.

A strong personality with emotion always close to the surface, Saiz was very loyal to his team, who in turn were also very loyal to each other.

They worked as one on the road for their GC leader, and the number of times the team would “blow the race apart and create havoc” was another great memory for Stephen.

More here

Martin Hardie wrote of the difficulty that cycling’s administration faces in resolving these issues in the conclusion to his “It’s Not About The Blood” paper:

Fixation on the allocation of blame is not the answer … Rather than creating scapegoats or engaging in witch hunts, a policy of engagement on all sides based upon a thorough and sober assessment of the relevant issues should be pursued.

But all of this seems to have become lost in the current evangelising character of anti-doping, which only results in a moral condemnation worthy of a medieval inquisition, rather than the mores of modernity.

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
onimod said:
^ maybe he resigned because he's not comfortable with what has/is happening inside CA?
or does not want to live with the possibility he would be outed at a later date at a time not of his choosing - at least he must feel some relief - not living a lie now in fear of being outed.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Shortleg said:
But all of this seems to have become lost in the current evangelising character of anti-doping, which only results in a moral condemnation worthy of a medieval inquisition, rather than the mores of modernity.

Love the eloquence but have to challenge the content. The anti-doping sentiment has been building since EPO came along, to the point where we are now: close to the sport being little more than a (hardly entertaining) pro wresting TV show. The pendulum needs to swing back hard to give us the sport back, and even if this point in time is seen to be moralistic and evangelistic, so be it. The outcome will be a new starting point. A modern new starting point.

BTW. Several members here are expressing many suggestions for what a new cycling could look like. eg. retrospective testing, run outside UCI, etc. So not just an inquisition but also the building of a new dawn.

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
BTW. Several members here are expressing many suggestions for what a new cycling could look like. eg. retrospective testing, run outside UCI, etc. So not just an inquisition but also the building of a new dawn.[/QUOTE]

Second that Tinman - a new dawn

TRENDING THREADS