• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling Caps

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
I know that most cycling caps are sized one size fits all, but I generally find that that is not the case. I wear a size large Giro helmet and often most cycling caps are extremely tight fitting. And after a few washes they are almost more like beanies than an actual cap. I've got a Capo cycling cap which fits perfect, not tight but not loose either, which I got at Landry's Bike Shop in Natick. So has anyone else with a large melon had problems finding caps that fit and if so what brands have you found that fit?

FYI, most of my caps are team caps and if/ when in the past I've bought fitted baseball caps, my hat size is generally the 2nd largest available.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I've had the same problem, but I do like the tight ones for under the helmet, pretty much all my Campy caps from Pace. Don't like the huge bills that some of these caps have though. Pace is really weird like that, some of their caps have normal bills, but some are baseball cap size. Favorites are Giordana, Vermarc, and Capo. If Capo works for you stick with that I guess.

...., or shave your head.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
most helmet makers instruct you not to wear a hat under your helmet. Also fitting instructions and adjustments are done on the head w/o a hat. No tests DOT/ANSI/SNEL/TUV are done with a hat under the helmet

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
fatandfast said:
most helmet makers instruct you not to wear a hat under your helmet. Also fitting instructions and adjustments are done on the head w/o a hat. No tests DOT/ANSI/SNEL/TUV are done with a hat under the helmet

1.5mm of cap fabric makes little difference in fit, if anything it makes helmet fit slightly more snug which is a good thing. Don't let mfg's and regulatory agencies tell me what I should or shouldn't do. Personally, I wear caps under helmets through most of the spring and fall. I'm really looking forward for springtime so I don't have to wear the balaclava anymore. Still months away, aaarrrrgh!

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:

Thanks for the response but you obviously don't live or ride in New England during the fall, winter & spring.

I agree that a tiny slip of fabric isn't going to affect the helmet fit that much. Especially as my Ionos came with insert pads for cooler weather, at least that is what I assume those things are for.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
cawright1375 said:
Thanks for the response but you obviously don't live or ride in New England during the fall, winter & spring.

I agree that a tiny slip of fabric isn't going to affect the helmet fit that much. Especially as my Ionos came with insert pads for cooler weather, at least that is what I assume those things are for.

I do,all year long. Rode in Sudbury MA a couple of weeks ago while it was snowing. When and if you are ever involved in a crash, wearing a hat under your helmet constitutes misuse when you sue the manufac. Guy in last bike club is in a wheelchair for life. His legal group sued a bunch of people trying to raise the millions that his treatment and continued care will cost for the duration of his life. I have found that a cycling cap works better than sun glasses during crappy conditions. I also buy hats from a welding supply near my house and receive endless compliments on how unique the graphics are the brims come in different sizes. 4 hats for 20

fatandfast said:
I do,all year long. Rode in Sudbury MA a couple of weeks ago while it was snowing. When and if you are ever involved in a crash, wearing a hat under your helmet constitutes misuse when you sue the manufac. Guy in last bike club is in a wheelchair for life. His legal group sued a bunch of people trying to raise the millions that his treatment and continued care will cost for the duration of his life. I have found that a cycling cap works better than sun glasses during crappy conditions. I also buy hats from a welding supply near my house and receive endless compliments on how unique the graphics are the brims come in different sizes. 4 hats for 20

so are you saying he lost the case because he was wearing a cap under his helmet? not good.

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
15 years of compulsory helmet Laws killed the cap

fatandfast said:

Cycling caps have no use under a helmet anyway (except for pose factor)
I used them to keep the sun off my nose and out of my eyes- needed to keep adjusting it for these purposes- can't really do that from under a helmet.

In Australia statistics fail to show a reduction in head injury through compulsory helmet legislation. (over 15 years)

I can be stopped and fined riding my BMX the 200metres down to the beach for a swim.

Helmet laws suck

Cycling caps til then were cool

To all you 'New Golfers' who swear "Oh... a helmet saved my life... the law is good"... I wish the helmet didn't save your life and you were still playing golf instead of riding like a f**kwitt and giving cyclists a bad name

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Ferdinand Artichoke said:
To all you 'New Golfers' who swear "Oh... a helmet saved my life... the law is good"... I wish the helmet didn't save your life and you were still playing golf instead of riding like a f**kwitt and giving cyclists a bad name

yes...you do ride like F**kwitts - that's why you crash and hit your head so often.

try stopping at red lights and keeping in your lane- and maybe don't ride in big packs of f**kwitts just like you

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Mr.Artichoke I think you may have something there. The proper uniform for bike racing offers no protection. A 150 dollar hunk of recycled coffee cups on your head secured by fat shoe lace size straps is funny at bets for protection. Wearing shorts and shirts that are thin on purpose is also a bit humorous. When you grind on the pavement on a motorcycle at 40mph the pavement knows the difference. Early bicycle helmets had a much better protective quality for most falls, they resembled MC helmets because the surfaces and risks are very similar.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Let's not get too silly here. Because of the greater travelling speeds of motorcycles, there is very little similarity between the protective equipment prudent for that activity and what would be necessary for (most) cycling. Remember that a 40mph crash is not just twice as bad as a 20mph crash: impact force increases at the square of the impact speed. Impacts will be much worse, friction injuries are much worse due to lengthened slide distance, you have a 400 lb. bike next to/on top of you instead of a 18 lb. bike, etc.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
stephens said:
Let's not get too silly here. Because of the greater travelling speeds of motorcycles, there is very little similarity between the protective equipment prudent for that activity and what would be necessary for (most) cycling. Remember that a 40mph crash is not just twice as bad as a 20mph crash: impact force increases at the square of the impact speed. Impacts will be much worse, friction injuries are much worse due to lengthened slide distance, you have a 400 lb. bike next to/on top of you instead of a 18 lb. bike, etc.

Falling off a horse,rollerblades,bicycle,motorcycle,snowmobile on pavement at 30 mph is very severe. Speed,body weight, density of the aggregate of the road surface. All are factors, why you would slide further from one device to the next is certainly a mystery( when falling at the same speed from each). My original post was to include suggestions of helmet manufactures when thinking of wearing a cap under your helmet. Motorcycle helmets are made to a better standard( in my opinion) than bicycle helmets for a similar crash scenarios. Watching people adopt helmets for skiing and snowboarding it won't be long until cycling helmets have 2 groups, 1 that protects,another that provide super light weight and superior ventilation. In my opinion the average bike helmet is way under built and over priced. I wouldn't have written anything else but your idea about vehicle weight I find interesting, Having crashed while racing some of the above, @ 35mph, I have always found myself separated from whatever through me, no secondary impact. With the exception of the snowmobile I have worn a cycling cap on the rest.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:

Hmmm, possibly best that he lost the case. Not sure that I like the idea that you can sue the maker as long as the helmet that they made meets all standards. Could be that the guy could have been in a motorcycle helmet and still had the injury. If it was a helmet failure, then I stand corrected. Did they go after the tyre, brake, and bike frame makers as well?

Oh, and while I'm here - Artichoke - I think you need a good steaming to see if it softens up your heart a bit.

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
helmet? only if I wanna

TheDude said:
Oh, and while I'm here - Artichoke - I think you need a good steaming to see if it softens up your heart a bit.

What is steaming? A sauna?
I am open to suggestions. My judgementalism causes me angst from time to time... I never measure up to my own standards..

That said- do not allow obese politicians and fanatical safety lobbyists (who oft never ride) make laws that prevent you using your bike for local trips without protective wear...

The statistics do not show helmets to be effective at reducing injury.

ps- i do choose to wear a helmet when I feel it appropriate
- I would never tell You not to wear one

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
TheDude said:
Hmmm, possibly best that he lost the case. Not sure that I like the idea that you can sue the maker as long as the helmet that they made meets all standards. Could be that the guy could have been in a motorcycle helmet and still had the injury. If it was a helmet failure, then I stand corrected. Did they go after the tyre, brake, and bike frame makers as well?

Dude I am not sure if you live in the US. Our court system is about as F't up as it can get. Cyclists on a ride that are hit by a car (and seriously injured) sue everybody, People who made the bike, city where the accident takes place,helmet company, everybody. It is child like logic but it's what we use. If a drunk guy runs you down in a stolen car with no insurance,no money or future you sure the city for a storm drain that caused you to be in the road and the helmet company because they should have sold you a product that can withstand a direct hit from a truck at 75mph. Our system works on the principal that it's always somebodies fault just not yours.

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
Actually I was involved in a pretty nasty crash two summers ago. In fact it was remiscent of what happened to Jens Voigt at the Tour last year. The major differences being speed, I was going about 18 mph and that I landed mostly on my back. However I did crack my helmet in 3 places, so it obviously served its purpose to protect my head.

And while Sudbury maybe in Massachusetts based on the map I saw its still way south of where I live and if you go out without a cap or something under your helmet you won't stay out very long. I have to agree with most everyone else that a cycling cap isn't going to affect much in the way of fit of a helmet. And if it does then why does the UCI who is such a stickler when it comes to safety allow them?

And again I come back to the fact that my Giro Ionos came with pads to wear under my helmet that are loose and do not have fasteners to attach them. Furthermore those pads are thicker than most cycling caps.

Lastly thanks everyone for an interesting discussion.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Dude I am not sure if you live in the US. Our court system is about as F't up as it can get. Cyclists on a ride that are hit by a car (and seriously injured) sue everybody, People who made the bike, city where the accident takes place,helmet company, everybody. It is child like logic but it's what we use. If a drunk guy runs you down in a stolen car with no insurance,no money or future you sure the city for a storm drain that caused you to be in the road and the helmet company because they should have sold you a product that can withstand a direct hit from a truck at 75mph. Our system works on the principal that it's always somebodies fault just not yours.

Yes, I am in the US. I think we were making the same point. We need some form of tort reform. Perhaps anybody that brings a frivelous suit should atuomatically be chargee legal feas for the defense, and the lawyer bringing the suit should have to pay at least 1/2 of that out of pocket.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I always wear a cycling cap under my helmet, in fact it is sort of like a trademark for me, it's just normal for me to wear one under my helmet. It's good for riding in the rain though.