• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling Commentators/Experts Frustations

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
theyoungest said:
There was serious discussion going on about that back then. Lose a few kilos and he should be good to go. After all, he won the amazingly hard Tour de Suisse.

The amazingly hard Tour de Suisse that had the easier side of Serfaus and the easiest side of Crans-Montana as summit finishes along with a longish ITT?

At the same time, with the route of the 2009 Tour it wouldn't have been too surprising. I think Sean Kelly also had a chaque Cancellara might have done a good GC that year.

The Hitch said:
Anthony Tan is so sickening people on this forum generally slam anyone who even brings him up. And i apologize in advance.

He presents ozzie tdf coverage with some other bonehead

I remember 1 comment was that Cadel Evans would comfortably put 4 minutes into Samuel Sanchez in the 2011 tt. I mean natiohnal cycling expert, you cant make this stuff up.

glackar is wiggins ghost writer (well 1 of them) . Lots of the stupdity he comes up with is clinic (eg the only reason British riders werent winning the Tour de France in the 90's and 2000's was because British riders dont take drugs like everyone else).

But since this the road section, his rabobank folding article was memorable. He wrote that they won x ammount of tdf stages " the last of which came when Luis Leon Sanchez won into Saint-Flour in 2011". - apologies if you banged your head against your desk like i did.

He also said before the Vuelta that Froome has to win the Vuelta in order to have any claim at leading the Tour in 2013.
So in other words beat Froome when he is under orders not beat you>>>>> beat Contador on a mountain fest, while off form because you just spend your season peak domestiquing for someone at the Tour :rolleyes::rolleyes::

The trouble with Tan is he is not suited to television and every single comment sounds like it could have been said by anyone else. For a guy who has been around the sport for quite a while you would think he had something interesting to to say sometimes but often it's made worse by the stupid questions he is asked.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
So he is predicting that about 10 gc riders crash out.

ANyway that is nothing compared to the notorious mindblowing stupidity of people like anthony tan and brendan gallackar.

How were you able to listen to him if he was on SBS?

I do agree that the guy is seriously frustrating. Another one of his great comments was stating that the reason the Schlecks did not win the 2011 Tour de France was because they were not "malleable enough". I was crying with laughter after that comment.

Libertine Seguros said:
The amazingly hard Tour de Suisse that had the easier side of Serfaus and the easiest side of Crans-Montana as summit finishes along with a longish ITT?

At the same time, with the route of the 2009 Tour it wouldn't have been too surprising. I think Sean Kelly also had a chaque Cancellara might have done a good GC that year.
You're quite bad at picking up sarcasm, I must say.

Phil Liggett was the worst for always talking about Armstrong....which should hopefully stop now. But here is a classic case of Phil pumping Armstrong and bagging out others, in this case Contador. It was taken from the stage 3 pre-race Versus show from the 2010 Tour de France, where they talk about the riders and how they'll go on the cobble stage. I edited it into a nice little video for everyone

Click here

Buffalo Soldier said:
wtf, a whole wiki page full of quotes of the guy? :D
This one is hilarious:
"Deze kasseien zijn strakker gelegd dan verderop, daar heeft Napoleon ze nog zelf gelegd. Zó vanuit een helikopter!!"
(These cobblestones are much better placed than the ones further up the road. There, Napoleon himself placed the cobblestones. Throwing them out of the helicopter.)

janraaskalt said:
This one is hilarious:
"Deze kasseien zijn strakker gelegd dan verderop, daar heeft Napoleon ze nog zelf gelegd. Zó vanuit een helikopter!!"
(These cobblestones are much better placed than the ones further up the road. There, Napoleon himself placed the cobblestones. Throwing them out of the helicopter.)
Ducrot is cool. He's just very annoying next to Herbert Dijkstra (i.e. always).

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
There was serious discussion going on about that back then. Lose a few kilos and he should be good to go. After all, he won the amazingly hard Tour de Suisse.

There was only 60 km TT (with a hill in both TT) in that tour, and there was even a TTT which was in the advantage of Astana.

Against the Contador of that time there was no way that it would have happened. Even when the parcours wasn't that hard.

It stays ***...And yeah very hard TDS lol

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Evans off-form, no contador, no schleck. Sanchez, hesjedal, gesink eliminated from the race.

Evans is ancient, he ain't going to stay around for 3 more years. ;)

No Schleck? As if that would've mattered with all the time trials.

Sanchez? He ain't going to do the Tour this year. And he's also pretty old already.

Hesjedal? VDB2 beat him at the Tour in 2010. You're grasping at straws.

Gesink? Lol.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Evans is ancient, he ain't going to stay around for 3 more years. ;)

No Schleck? As if that would've mattered with all the time trials.

Sanchez? He ain't going to do the Tour this year. And he's also pretty old already.

Hesjedal? VDB2 beat him at the Tour in 2010. You're grasping at straws.

Gesink? Lol.

So you're saying that the great TT'er VDB2 would have put so much time on schleck in the TT that he couldn't make that up in the mountains? :eek:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
So you're saying that the great TT'er VDB2 would have put so much time on schleck in the TT that he couldn't make that up in the mountains? :eek:

The Great Schleck would've been a solid candidate for Lantern Rouge in his '12 form.

Miburo said:
There was only 60 km TT (with a hill in both TT) in that tour, and there was even a TTT which was in the advantage of Astana.

Against the Contador of that time there was no way that it would have happened. Even when the parcours wasn't that hard.

It stays ***...And yeah very hard TDS lol
You don't pick up sarcasm either... is that a dying art?

I agree spending too much time in the Clinic blunts your sense of perception.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
You don't pick up sarcasm either... is that a dying art?

I agree spending too much time in the Clinic blunts your sense of perception.

About the hard TDS, yeah was hard to figure out :rolleyes: Btw wasn't the 'lol' obvious?

About the rest of my post. I was just giving arguments into why this serious debate was unfounded. Because it was indeed a serious debate, that's all.

Check my posts in the clinic, i think i've at best 3 posts, do some research ;)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
The Great Schleck would've been a solid candidate for Lantern Rouge in his '12 form.

Maybe, but this all doesn't change the fact that he'll still own VDB2 in the tour this year. I'm hoping he has some motivation and pride and that should be more than enough to take down VDB2

Just like Contador, froome. And there are many other names that are pretty much equal or slightly better than VDB2.

The point was that the only way VDB2 can reach podium is when riders start falling, everybody knows that.

It's stupid from Museeuw bringing out a statement like that counting on bad luck for other riders.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Maybe, but this all doesn't change the fact that he'll still own VDB2 in the tour this year. I'm hoping he has some motivation and pride and that should be more than enough to take down VDB2

Just like Contador, froome. And there are many other names that are pretty much equal or slightly better than VDB2.

The point was that the only way VDB2 can reach podium is when riders start falling, everybody knows that.

It's stupid from Museeuw bringing out a statement like that counting on bad luck for other riders.

Yeah, because in the Tour a rider never falls out. :rolleyes:

Let's wait if Schleck can finish a race this season before we start making silly predictions shall we. ;)

They guy has been top 5 in the last 2 Tour editions he finished. It's not a stupid statement.

According to your logic Samuel Sanchez can't win Lombardia unless someone crashes out.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Yeah, because in the Tour a rider never falls out. :rolleyes:

Let's wait if Schleck can finish a race this season before we start making silly predictions shall we. ;)

They guy has been top 5 in the last 2 Tour editions he finished. It's not a stupid statement.

According to your logic Samuel Sanchez can't win Lombardia unless someone crashes out.

It's just ridiculous to count on that to make this bold prediction. Besides if he couldn't do it in 2012, then when? lol

SS almost won it '09 but some guy beat him :D

And winning a classic as an underdog is a 'bit' easier than a GT :eek:

TRENDING THREADS