• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

cycling in alps

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
hi just wondering if anyone could give me some advice. a couple of us are planning a trip to the alps in june and were wondering where the best place to stay was. we are hoping to climb alpe d'huez and the galibier and maybe one more. also any other info or tips would be appreciated.
thanks

Haven't been myself but I know a fair bit about this particular business. ;)

Connecting the actual locations of all those "big name" climbs in the French Alps requires a lot of research in order to "triangulate" a place to stay, so I can help you with something I created via my own website.

Try this link: "Legends of Cycling" via Google Maps

There isn't really a single place to stay that covers everywhere.

Bourg d'Oisans is popular and is also right at the foot of Alpe d'Huez (no through road at the top of that, so no value in staying up there). You can do the Galibier/Lautaret from there with a good, flattish run-up.

Elsewhere, I'd probably look at St Jean de Maurienne, which is on this year's TdF route, and Briançon. I've even heard of people staying in Sestrière. There will also be those niche out-of-season ski resorts, but cheap they ain't. :)

=========
Other stuff:
=========

Quite a lot of high passes (> 2000m) are usually closed right up to the end of May. You should be more than OK by June though, even after this hardest of winters, provided that the weather's generally friendly.

In June it can sometimes be still a bit unpredictable with the risk of heavy fogging higher up, which means less panoramic views and taking extra care on the descents! :cool:

Assuming you're more or less sticking with France, keep up to date with the situation nearer the time on the Bison Futé (The Wise Bison, don't ask ;)) website. The page you want there is entitled Accès aux Cols. Note that this particular section is still only available in FR but it's straightforward enough to use.

General cycling-related blurbs here:
ClimbByBike (very good coverage)
Grenoble Cycling

Bags of info can be gleaned free from Google Earth. Elsewhere IGN.fr sells excellent hard copy maps and you can, for a bit of cash, customise your own. Many are available in small formats for the jersey pockets. In the UK, your best bet is Stanfords, which also sells IGN maps and guidebooks. Of course, you might be using GPS, so try wikiloc.com for ideas if not actual routes.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Bourg d'Oisans is your best bet for Alpe d'Huez and Galibier. Then there 4 or 5 other major cols within easy reach.

this is very useful site: http://www.tourdoisans.com/

the missus picked the local Eurotent for part of our Summer hols without realising - utter result:D

I think the local tourist board organise a race up the Alpe once a week in the high season which I imagine is a fun way to spend a summer morning.

Jan 31, 2010
www.tindonkey.com
I'd vote for Briancon, which, as a larger town, gives you a lot of choice in places to stay and eat. You have access to the Lautaret, Galibier and Telegraphe, the Alpe d'Huez, the brutal (but only used in the Tour once) Granon, and the Izoard. You might need to reposition yourself since some of these out-and-backs would be pretty far in one day. I rode the Route des Grandes Alpes in 2008 and it was fabulous.

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Bourg d'Oisans, Briancon and St Jean du Maurienne are all good locations with quite a few climbs nearby.

I will give what I consider the pluses and minuses, based on your desires of climbing Alpe d'Huez, Galibier and maybe one other climb to be determined.

Bourg d'Oisans - PLUSES, A) right at the base of Alpe d'Huez, B) virtually at the base of the Lauteret/Galibier, C) very close to other climbs like Col de Ornon and the Col du Glandon and Croix de Fer which, from the south, are virtually the same climb except that the Croix veers off near the top of the Glandon. D) could meet your goals without any driving MINUSES, A) you would be climbing the Galibier from the less famous side, in my opinion. B) Also, there are about 6 tunnels, If I recall, on the road up the Col du Lauteret. That's not a big deal but if you are not keen on riding through tunnels it could be an issue. And, since you would most likely be coming back down that same way you can make it twelve. I would recommend a taillight for safety reasons as this is a well traveled road. OTHER NOTES: When you do Alpe d'Huez, it does not have to be a basic up and down. You can do this loop that includes the Col de Sarenne. http://www.steephill.tv/2006/col-de-sarenne/ But, do it in reverse so you are climbing Alpe d'Huez instead of descending it like in the link. Also, if you climb Alpe d'Huez and then start coming down there is a turn that would be on your right hand side about 4 or 5km from the top that takes you down a different way through the town of Villard de Reculas.

Briancon - PLUSES, A) good access to the Galibier, B) also good access to the Col de Granon and the Col d'Izoard C) bigger town MINUSES A) again climbing Galibier from what I consider the lass famous side but no tunnels this direction when going up the Lauteret. B) Maybe too far to ride to Alpe d'Huez. A round trip ride would be 150km with two ascents of the Col du Lauteret in addition to Alpe d'Huez.

St Jean de Maurienne - PLUSES A) Good access to the more famous side of Col du Galibier with the Col de Telegraphe before it. B) Other well known climbs nearby are the Col du Glandon and the Croix de Fer. These are different climbs from the St Jean side and could be made into a loop. There are also side loops of the Croix de Fer to the Col du Mollard and La Touissiere, where Landis cracked. Also near the big Col de Madeleine. MINUSES - A) Like Briancon you would have about a 150km out and back that would include Alpe d'Huez and both sides of Croix de Fer

I am partial to Briançon, or if you want to get off the beaten path why not Vallouise which is a beautiful town nestled at the base of the Ecrins range (see avatar) about 20km from Briançon. Less choice of accomodation, but a better place to stay for a vacation. Perfect for Izoard, Galibier (admittedly not the prettiest side) and within striking range of col de Vars.

Bourg d'Oisans is on a much busier road and is much more hectic. Also the climb to Galibier is on a very busy road. I also think Alpe d'Huez has a reputation greater than it's actual interest.

Jan 31, 2010
www.tindonkey.com
Another slightly obscure but interesting choice is Barcelonnette, from where you can ride the Col de la Bonette (the highest road in France), the Col de Vars, the Col de la Cayolle, and, one of my favourites, the Col d'Allos. One that I have not ridden but that looks pretty close is the Col de la Lombarde. Barcelonnette itself is quite nice, or you can be based in Jausiers, which is quite a bit smaller. Oddly enough, both places have connections with Mexico.

I agree with people on Briancon. I stayed there in 08 but I was just camping.
Briancon is so central for so many climbs. Iozard, Montegenevre, Lauteret, Isola 2000, Galibier, Alpe d'Huez, Granon. If you are in decent shape, then even further away climbs may be possible. Briancon is not a bad town either.

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
are you set on putting your stuff down and staying put, or can you uproot and move about? will you have a car? i have done a couple of loaded tours in france. some campgrounds i have enjoyed are camping la piscine (bourg d'oisans - lots of campgrounds in that town), camping les cols (st jean de maurienne), and i-forget (guillestre). these are all about a day apart, if you are touring, and probably a couple hours if you can throw your stuff in the car and drive. i say pick some cols and follow your nose. in general, all the towns have a campground somewhere nearby, but some of these towns are mostly alpine ski towns which hibernate during the summer. if i were to make some suggestions for cols, i'd say anything on the route des grandes alpes will give you quality scenic climbing (ask the local office de tourisme.)

if it was me, and i only had a few days and wanted to do alpe d'huez and the galibier, i'd stay in st jean de maurienne, do galibier from the telegraphe side, and then relocate to bourg d'oisans. or you could do the route of la marmotte (a famous ride, similar to the death ride numberwise), which starts in bourg d'oisans, goes over col du glandon to st jean de maurienne, telegraphe to valloire, galibier to bourg d'oisans, and finishes with a climb up alpe d'huez. if you had spare time, you could relocate to either bourg st maurice or guillestre and do either col d'iseran or col d'izoard for extra credit.

bah this makes me want to go to france

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
skellster said:
hi just wondering if anyone could give me some advice. a couple of us are planning a trip to the alps in june and were wondering where the best place to stay was. we are hoping to climb alpe d'huez and the galibier and maybe one more. also any other info or tips would be appreciated.
thanks
Maybe you could rent one of these and accommodation would be no problem.
picdump_52.jpg

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Briancon rocks

Six of us are going to the alps in June. We are staying in Briancon and planning to do a mixture of routes either starting and finishing in Briancon or moving our start/finish up and down the highway. All is possible with a minimum of driving but impossible starting from Briancon every day.

Plan is:

Day 1 - Italian border (Out and back from Briancon over the montgenvre 40K)
Day 2 - Col D'Izoard (Start/finish Briancon via Guilliestre 80K)
Day 3 - Col de vars(Start and finish Guillestre via Barcelonette 80K)
Day 4 - Col d'Ornon + Alpe D'Huez (Start/finish Bourg D'Oison 120K)
Day 5 - Col d'Allos + Col de la Cayolle (Start/finish Barcelonette 150K)
Day 6 - Col du Glandon, Croix de fer, Telegraphe and Galibier (start and finish on Lautaret 160K)

4 of the highest peaks used in the Tour and all easily accessible from Briancon.

It's going to be tough, we are training hard and at least it's a week away from the kids!!!!!!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
We stayed in Briancon for a couple days, then got an amazing rate at a place at the top of Les Deux Alpe (or, more precisely, at the bottom of the ski slopes).

Briancon has a lot more to offer in terms of the town etc...but Les Deux Alpe was a fantastic place to stay. Very few people around - and you got to start your ride with 10K or straight down. From the top of there to the top of Alpe D'Huez is something like 40K, so there and back makes for a good ride, with stops in the middle for great espresso. We also did some hiking from the Les Deux Alpe area.

As for the helmets, to each his own I guess. Personally, I wouldn't want to be flying down Alpe D'Huez or the Galibier using my hair as a cushion against the pavement.

Cycling the Alps

Hi there,

I created a website about cycling the Alps. It has an unusual user experience but contains already some information about alps passes.
The most important thing of the website is the right mouse button! Use it on the black and purple cyclist icons and a lot of information about the pass will become available.
Try it out, maybe it helps your planning a little bit.

http://www.cyclingthealps.com

TRENDING THREADS