• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling Ireland EGM on McQuaid nomination

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Comedy compliments of boards.ie:

Very eloquent indeed !A good spokesman for your 'crusade' .Id bet Pat McQuaid was working for cycling when you were in nappies if not long beforehand .Show some respect!Id bet half the posters here (for sure the one above) have never even HEARD of the Nissan Classic /Kellogs Criterium Series etc .
To the poster who suggested Pat has no support(ers) that is incorrect .I repeat that I have met both Anto and Pat and formed the impression both were true gentlemen in their own dfferent ways .
I will admit to not being at the cutting edge of knowledge on the whole cycling doping fiasco/tragedy -frankly it saddens me .But the fervour with which many have turned on the greatest cycling administrator/manager/organiser that irish cycling has ever known is sickening.The man deserves a LOT more respect for his achievements over many decades regardless of any percieved 'failings' since his appointment to the world #1 position.I continue to be proud of the fact that an irishman holds that post.

The whole point of this is that it doesn't really matter. Maybe Pat is a good bloke who does his best for cycling. Maybe that includes turning a blind eye in certain circumstances. Maybe Pat isn't corrupt (although I am pretty convinced Hein is) and is diligent and hard working although his public pronouncements suggest he is not too clever.

None of that matters, he has been CEO of an organisation which has been severely embarrassed internationally through a period of rampant cheating and is the protege of the previous CEO who presided over a period of even worse cheating. It is unacceptable that he should continue in the job and completely against any principles of good governance and accountability.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Master50 said:
Anybody that thinks the corruption at the top of the UCI is protecting any current riders is also an idiot.

Be careful making such sweeping statements as it can make you look like a....well, you know

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703309704575413732974367988.html

antidoping officials are particularly concerned about the status of five professional riders who were flagged for doping in December but have not yet been sanctioned by the UCI. The riders, whose names are known only to the UCI, were determined to be doping by an independent committee of nine scientists and experts that was appointed by the UCI to review data from blood and urine tests.

The person said at least two members of the panel have voiced concerns that the UCI may be disregarding these positive tests or shielding guilty riders from punishment.

From the Irish Independent...

However, McQuaid's latest nomination could yet hit a snag. Under article 51 of the UCI constitution, the candidates for the presidency "shall be nominated by the federation of the candidate".

As a former president of Cycling Ireland, McQuaid holds an honorary lifetime Cycling Ireland licence and it was confirmed by Cycling Ireland yesterday that he has an Irish licence for 2013.

Even though he has lived near UCI headquarters in Switzerland since 2005, under UCI rule number 1.1008, the licence holder "shall remain affiliated to that (Irish) federation until the expiry of the licence, even if he changes country of residence".

Under UCI rule number 1.1009 "a licence holder may hold the licence of only one national federation", so McQuaid cannot hold a Swiss licence and therefore yesterday's nomination by the Swiss federation could yet be deemed invalid.

McQuaid has cocked it up again it seems...

I find it very refreshing that he's so concerned about the democratic process:

"However, I have received a wealth of letters from national federations all around the world urging me to stand for president again and I strongly believe that it should be for our national federations around the world to decide democratically on their next president."

Just a bit of a shame he's not so concerned with the democratic process within his own country and constituency.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a friggin' doughnut.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
LeakyLens said:

However, McQuaid's latest nomination could yet hit a snag. Under article 51 of the UCI constitution, the candidates for the presidency "shall be nominated by the federation of the candidate".

As a former president of Cycling Ireland, McQuaid holds an honorary lifetime Cycling Ireland licence and it was confirmed by Cycling Ireland yesterday that he has an Irish licence for 2013.

Even though he has lived near UCI headquarters in Switzerland since 2005, under UCI rule number 1.1008, the licence holder "shall remain affiliated to that (Irish) federation until the expiry of the licence, even if he changes country of residence".

Under UCI rule number 1.1009 "a licence holder may hold the licence of only one national federation", so McQuaid cannot hold a Swiss licence and therefore yesterday's nomination by the Swiss federation could yet be deemed invalid.

Leaky you made my day. Next the Giro on the tele. Cannot go into a better start for the weekend. Thanks for this news. Brilliant.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
LeakyLens said:

CI have nominated him AFAIK

May 26, 2010
Visit site
peloton said:
No, they haven't. They are voting on it the 15th of June.

LeakyLens said:
They haven't. It's being decided by the clubs of Ireland at an EGM on June 15th. Good chance PMcQ will be crawling back to Cycling Ireland at that stage.

I doubt McQuaid will not get the nomination.

With the Giro coming next year lots will be wanting some goodies:rolleyes:

I understand why Benotti thought that they had nominated them after the latest press release from CI, however if I understand correctly I think what they were attempting to do with that press release was to outline the reasons why they originally nominated him. I had to read the article a 2nd time to catch that it was the 'original' nomination that they were explaining.

Don't disagree with what you're saying about him likely securing the nomination though, but I really hope that all the clubs rise above simple self-serving and consider the sport at large and do the right thing.

See:
http://www.cyclingireland.ie/getatt...1926ed8/CI-PMcQuaid-Support-Statement_V2.aspx

and

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-...backing-pat-mcquaids-uci-election-nomination/

I was confused when I first read it too, and thought that they had somehow 'renominated' him (obviously not possible)... (Admittedly the original article I read on this was just the CI press release, and it wasn't in the context of the Sticky Bottle article)

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
LeakyLens said:

Tinman said:
Leaky you made my day. Next the Giro on the tele. Cannot go into a better start for the weekend. Thanks for this news. Brilliant.

+1. Very good news - not just that his nomination may be rescinded, but that someone, somewhere, is digging into the rules and regulations to which this pretender is subject and then publishing the results of their digging in publically available newspapers.

Scrutiny and transparency - we need a lot more of it.

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
+1. Very good news - not just that his nomination may be rescinded, but that someone, somewhere, is digging into the rules and regulations to which this pretender is subject and then publishing the results of their digging in publically available newspapers.

Scrutiny and transparency - we need a lot more of it.

It's like a game of chess and Pat is certainly no Kasparov

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
phat the rat has shown the IRISH Cycling Community , his CONTEMPT for the " Rules & Regulations " he is EMPLOYED to oversee/protect !

Cycling Ireland are now REQUIRED to act in the BEST INTERESTS of the Worldwide Cycling Sports Community and NOT ONLY refuse endorsement of a Nomination , but in October 2013 , strip him of ALL that has been offered him during the period he has held an Irish License !

As James Burn , he showed GROSS Contempt for his Irish Racing Licence by masquerading as a racer in South Africa ! He was " Banned " by the IOC from Life Time Olympic Competition , yet in London , he is shown on TV presenting on the Medals Podium .

As Pat Mc Quaid , he appeared tonight on CNN Sports World programme denying the questions posed by a young woman , who i doubt , deviated from a PREPARED SCRIPT ! Even then , it was apparent that the TRUTH was taking a beating .

My thanks to Leakylens for publishing the TRUTH and also to Anto Moran for having the decency to walk away from the phat cheer club !

Ireland's National President , Michael D.Higgins , should look at whether Citizenship can be stripped from this poor specimin of humanity