• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling Ireland kick the McQuaid can down the road at AGM

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13234/Cycling-Ireland-members-debate-McQuaid-presidency.aspx

Implications laid out by https://twitter.com/irishpeloton as follows:

"Most concerning fact is that he [McGrane] was knocked back, reason being we should wait for the outcome of the independent investigation of the UCI

But the UCI commission meeting which considers nominations for next President takes place August 2013

Outcome of the independent investigation into the UCI is expected in June 2013

Motions for the UCI commission meeting in August must be submitted 90 days in advance…i.e. before the outcome of the UCI investigation."

Conor McGrane interview:

http://www.irishpeloton.com/McGrane_Cycling_Ireland.mp3

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Basecase said:
...UCI commission meeting which considers nominations for next President takes place August 2013... ...Motions for the UCI commission meeting in August must be submitted 90 days in advance…i.e. before the outcome of the UCI investigation."

Add that to the list of suspicious things about the 'independent' investigation.

While I'm very suspicious that the outcome of the report will be determined ahead of time through the drafting of appropriate terms of reference, this just smacks of hedging bets both ways just in case.

HL2037 said:
It means that the UCI are up to their usual tricks. They will never learn. Never, never, never. Off with their heads.

The difference is that before nobody was really watching, now they have the Cyclingnews forums squad parsing every action. Much harder to run their "chum-ocracy" under these conditions.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
frenchfry said:
The difference is that before nobody was really watching, now they have the Cyclingnews forums squad parsing every action. Much harder to run their "chum-ocracy" under these conditions.

Eh? I'm guessing you were joking but I'm pretty sure they now have the worlds press watching their chumocracy (with some of the press using this forum as a frame of reference).

Such an exciting story that transcends cycling, even Hollywood are interested.

fun article at Cyclismas: UCI announce stakeholders in consultation exercise
It’s been stated that the commission will have a lawyer, an accountant, and a sports administrator who will not have involvement in the cycling world.

“They will have no involvement in the cycling world. We didn’t say that they wouldn’t have close ties to us in some form or fashion, though. And frankly, we have to have people in these positions that we know we can trust to make the right decisions in our favour,” continued McQuaid.

:p

Basecase said:

Take the time to listen to this. Conor, at the moment, is headed in the right direction. He also lays out some of the process to getting McQuaid re-elected and Cycling Ireland's traditional role in this case of nominating Pat.

If Conor's goals are reached, I think Pat is nominated by USA Cycling. Best of luck to you Conor!

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Take the time to listen to this. Conor, at the moment, is headed in the right direction. He also lays out some of the process to getting McQuaid re-elected and Cycling Ireland's traditional role in this case of nominating Pat.

If Conor's goals are reached, I think Pat is nominated by USA Cycling. Best of luck to you Conor!

Brilliant interview. Essential listening. Thanks for posting link.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
arjanh said:
Well, just to be safe, let's be sure to get rid of both of 'em..
I know I am in a minority but the sins of the father are not the sins of the son. Pat has been saddled with Hein's legacy. I have met both men and Pat on several occasions. I think that independent of Hein's influence I like Pat. I am most interested in the outcome of the probe to see if their findings support my point of view or not. I am most interested to see by what mechanism the UCI president could affect a cover up too. I mean how do 1 or two men cover up a drug test from the UCI office? What about the staff that sees the report before the boss gets wind of it. What about the lab staff who match the result to the name? Who does the president of an international federation influence in a drug lab? How does that go unnoticed. The city manger stops by my desk and I hear about it from Parks staff.
I do get a little tired reading about all the things Pat has screwed up including the problems before he took office. He inherited a disaster and his power has been tempered by ghosts of the past. A Dutch one at that. Asking Pat to resign over a 2001 cover up is also as absurd as asking Obama to take responsibility for declaring war in Iraq.
So flame on.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Master50 said:
I know I am in a minority but the sins of the father are not the sins of the son. Pat has been saddled with Hein's legacy. I have met both men and Pat on several occasions. I think that independent of Hein's influence I like Pat. I am most interested in the outcome of the probe to see if their findings support my point of view or not. I am most interested to see by what mechanism the UCI president could affect a cover up too. I mean how do 1 or two men cover up a drug test from the UCI office? What about the staff that sees the report before the boss gets wind of it. What about the lab staff who match the result to the name? Who does the president of an international federation influence in a drug lab? How does that go unnoticed. The city manger stops by my desk and I hear about it from Parks staff.
I do get a little tired reading about all the things Pat has screwed up including the problems before he took office. He inherited a disaster and his power has been tempered by ghosts of the past. A Dutch one at that. Asking Pat to resign over a 2001 cover up is also as absurd as asking Obama to take responsibility for declaring war in Iraq.
So flame on.

How about McQuaid resigning over Landis? How about McQuaid resigning over Armstrongs biopassport values? Or Contador's failed cover up? Or not investigating Armstrong when confronted with irrefutable evidence? Or about trying to derail USADA's investigation into Armstrong?

McQuaid is a chip of the Verbruggen block and should go, if he doesn't get done for criminal acitivity first. Hope rides towards a Swiss court.

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Master50 said:
So flame on.

The "inherit a disaster" does not wash. It may for the first year, or even three

But with respect Pat has been at UCI for well over a decade now , joining it at the time of Armstrongs first win - so he cannot wash his hands of those years, despite not being the top man. He was there.

The best that can be said of him is he was wholly ineffectual and asleep on the watch, and he has systematically shut out or put down everyone who flagged up the seriousness of the problems under his nose.

He has had his chance. He failed.
The doping world has run rings round him.

You would have though the embarassment of having monumentally failed at his mission would be enough to make him want to stand down. Not Pat. He seems to be saying "give me another decade, and now I know about it from USADA, I will improve it, honest.. Nobody believes him any more.

He has no credibility left - he should give a new man the chance to rebuild bridges to sponsors.

DirtyWorks said:

Why US cycling? I'd have thought that one of the feds that has benefited from McQuaid's 'globalising' strategy would be more likely.

Mrs John Murphy said:
Why US cycling? I'd have thought that one of the feds that has benefited from McQuaid's 'globalising' strategy would be more likely.

You could be right. A little extra funding for a relatively poor federation would be the IOC way of handling the matter.

I'm convinced the bonds between Wiesel's USAC and Pat and Hein are very tight. Just look at the way Hein and Pat still defend Wonderboy. Maybe USAC is the fall-back federation? Still, that is a small side-story.

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Master50 said:
I mean how do 1 or two men cover up a drug test from the UCI office? What about the staff that sees the report before the boss gets wind of it. What about the lab staff who match the result to the name? Who does the president of an international federation influence in a drug lab? How does that go unnoticed.

It's my understanding that the lab doesn't do the result/name matching. AFAIK, that's done by either the UCI or the NADA. That actually does make sense, but the premises is of course that the UCI (or the NADA, for that matter) is impartial to the outcome. That, however, has proven not to be guaranteed.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
How about McQuaid resigning over Landis? How about McQuaid resigning over Armstrongs biopassport values? Or Contador's failed cover up? Or not investigating Armstrong when confronted with irrefutable evidence? Or about trying to derail USADA's investigation into Armstrong?

McQuaid is a chip of the Verbruggen block and should go, if he doesn't get done for criminal acitivity first. Hope rides towards a Swiss court.

And you forgot the "Kimmage feud" ;)

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Master50 said:
I do get a little tired reading about all the things Pat has screwed up including the problems before he took office.

So flame on.

Congrats on being brave. Not an easy position to take.

How about turning this argument around.

What has Pat positively contributed since 2005?

I have pondered this myself. I couldn't come up with anything much, but I must admit I haven't been close to UCI. But I would like to know "the other side" from what I read plenty of here.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Tinman said:
Congrats on being brave. Not an easy position to take.

How about turning this argument around.

What has Pat positively contributed since 2005?

I have pondered this myself. I couldn't come up with anything much, but I must admit I haven't been close to UCI. But I would like to know "the other side" from what I read plenty of here.
I did not know he had HIV

TRENDING THREADS