• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling & Kiteboarding/Kitesurfing

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been biking, road & MTB, for over 10 years. I've tried other action sports but they haven't stuck with me the way cycling has. That is until 2 years ago when some of my cycling buddies got me into kiteboarding. Now we bike in the summer and go on kiteboarding trips in the winter, with or without our wives, to warm places like the Caribbean, South Texas, Florida, Mexico, and Hawaii.

Just curious, how many other cyclists out there are also into kiteboarding/kitesurfing during the off-season?

FYI: There are some hotels in South Padre Island, TX that are offering free kiteboarding lessons this fall if any cyclists are interested in learning. KitelandResort.com has the info.

Rick

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Rick-Orbea said:
I've been biking, road & MTB, for over 10 years. I've tried other action sports but they haven't stuck with me the way cycling has. That is until 2 years ago when some of my cycling buddies got me into kiteboarding. Now we bike in the summer and go on kiteboarding trips in the winter, with or without our wives, to warm places like the Caribbean, South Texas, Florida, Mexico, and Hawaii.

Just curious, how many other cyclists out there are also into kiteboarding/kitesurfing during the off-season?

FYI: There are some hotels in South Padre Island, TX that are offering free kiteboarding lessons this fall if any cyclists are interested in learning. KitelandResort.com has the info.

Rick

Wow must be nice.
I have always wanted to try kiteboarding but I definitely don't have the money to travel all over the world to kite-board during the winter.
How much does it cost to get started?
Can you rent?
Why winter just because you are busy riding during the summer?

May 14, 2014
Visit site
The costs are similar to biking in that it all depends on whether or not you want new or used gear. You can buy your own used gear (kite, board, and harness) for less than $1,000. You can also rent gear once you reach an intermediate level or are enrolled in lessons at a kiteboarding school. If you have gear, then kiteboarding is free.

I do some kiteboarding in the summer as well as biking, but some people don't have good kiteboarding conditions locally. My friends and I generally take a tropical trip in the winter that includes kiteboarding among other activities.

For many, kiteboarding is becoming more and more of a vacation activity like SCUBA diving. You'll notice this if you go to Maui, Florida, Southern Texas, the Caribbean, and parts of Mexico during the winter months.

This will give you an idea of why kiting is so addictive: http://vimeo.com/89665827.

Rick

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
at least it's well disguised spam

Yeah I had a feeling this might be spam, since it was kinda random and he seemed awfully excited about this stuff...
I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt though because I swear to god people have assumed I was spam multiple times on several different forums just because I was recommending something. Forum spam has gotten so bad that people are becoming overly paranoid so I try to remain hopeful as long as its not super obvious.
Pretty sure you are right about this post now that I reread it though.

TRENDING THREADS