• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling R.I.P 1995-2010

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Well that's a very forceful assertion, but the facts don't really bare it out, and it does count for something the rider himself said he didn't go into the race as team leader. It was the only race he won in 2011: a couple of third places earlier in the year doesn't scream to me GT contender, especially ahead of two GT winners. But I do acknowledge your greater knowledge of the sport.

But I'm not sure why we're getting bogged down in this. Someone else mentioned Cobo and I said his form fluctuates, before the Vuelta 2011 and certainly since.
The difference should be Cobo won out of nothing, Froome came out of nothing.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok think I've got it: Hitch says because of partisan reasons many people that believe their own countrymen ride clean look at Contador's Vuelta win and Vino Olympic gold as 'dirty' wins, I pointed out that given both has been censured for doping offences that logically they should garner more suspicion than a rider that hasn't.

Libertine countered that by mentioning Cobo and the suspicion generally directed towards his Vuelta, and I said his form fluctuates a lot but form is no evidence of doping, and that he, like Froome, went into the race as a domestique. Others said he wasn't. I said he was again.

So are we know comparing Cobo and Froome in 2011? I'll agree that Froome's was the more remarkable, and probably the greater in terms of 'break out' performance. However Cobo in 2012 was a shadow of the rider he was, while Froome has maintained that form.

I guess you can infer from that what you choose to infer.

Netserk said:
I don't challenge that Burgos is a warm-up race for the Vuelta (although it's more like Trentino than Dauphine), it's more the fact that being 3rd in Burgos make you a favourite for the Vuelta.

Coming third in burgos doesn't make you a favorite but coming 3rd in burgos and being a top climber does.

For example if rogers runners up in dauphine no one says hell be a favorite. if Evans does.it everyone says - well he's got form, and the odds.go down.

blackcat said:
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way

dickens

Appreciate the reference. Like when American films put Paris,France on the big flickery image thing.

The Hitch said:
Whatever the methodology behind it, the years are clearly questionable since pre 1995 indurain and others were winning doped to the max, and since 2010, even those of you who believe that since riders from your countries are winning, the sport must be clean, see contadors vuelta and.vinos rr as dirty victories.

Now without having thought about it,or indeed any clear idea what i'm talking about (isn't that the point of this forum?), is '95-2010 not the best your gonna get. In terms of frequency & depth. Always gonna be examples and actually loads of them. Just feel i'm not experiencing vandenbroucke at the minute.

cocteau_ireland said:
Appreciate the reference. Like when American films put Paris,France on the big flickery image thing.

You are thinking of RKO films and they did not use the Eiffel Tower i.e an image of Paris flickering electricity in their movies.

RKO films produced between 1929 and 1957 have an opening logo displaying the studio's famous trademark, the spinning globe and radio tower, nicknamed the "Transmitter."

It was inspired by a two-hundred-foot tower built in Colorado for a giant electrical amplifier, or Tesla coil, created by inventor Nikola Tesla. Orson Welles referred to the design as his "favorite among the old logos, not just because it was so often a reliable portent. ... It reminds us to listen."

Just FYI.

RobbieCanuck said:
You are thinking of RKO films and they did not use the Eiffel Tower i.e an image of Paris flickering electricity in their movies.

RKO films produced between 1929 and 1957 have an opening logo displaying the studio's famous trademark, the spinning globe and radio tower, nicknamed the "Transmitter."

It was inspired by a two-hundred-foot tower built in Colorado for a giant electrical amplifier, or Tesla coil, created by inventor Nikola Tesla. Orson Welles referred to the design as his "favorite among the old logos, not just because it was so often a reliable portent. ... It reminds us to listen."

Just FYI.

Seems you like the sound of your own zither

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Something died inside of me today aussi, Watching that Sky train on T/A. No. Sorry. That is just to much for me. Incroyable. Not normaal. Belachelijk. Zot. Give it a name.

I really was waiting for the Froomster to make his jump, and got excited! Cycling is just entertainment for those people.

After the 'excitement' the down came.

I am glad I have my own bike.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Back to the OP. it's more serious than that. Professional SPORT died in 1988 with Ben Johnson's 100 world record. That was the 9-11 watershed. Since that moment we have fooled ourselves believing these were sporadic incidents. Including Festina and cycling, and Lance, and other sports. Right up until today.

TRENDING THREADS