• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling viewership and rider popularity.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
El Pistolero said:
Could be, but I've also read that flat stages and time trials are viewed a lot less than key mountain stages. So that means any big GC contender is more known than Cav. Plus I'd say Phil had a lot more tv coverage during the Tour than little Cav this year.
Did he? He won one stage, that's it. Maybe he got more tv time during the stages, but that's not when the most casual of fans are watching. They'll watch the stage highlights (i.e. the finish), when Cav crosses the line in 1st.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Did he? He won one stage, that's it. Maybe he got more tv time during the stages, but that's not when the most casual of fans are watching. They'll watch the stage highlights (i.e. the finish), when Cav crosses the line in 1st.

I think most people would be watching Schlek, Contador, Evans on the climbs..I dont get this stuff with Gilbert getting publicity - because he was struggling mid pack most of the time.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:

Gilbert was the best of the peloton on 2 other occasions. These casuals will have seen him there as well ;)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Gilbert was the best of the peloton on 2 other occasions. These casuals will have seen him there as well ;)

And Cav was the best of the Peloton on five occasions plus won the green.

When Phil was 'best of the peloton' on two other occasions he didn't actually win so he might have got one mention at that time as opposed to the actual winner of that stage who got multiple mentions

May 27, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
So you think they only watch for 3 seconds and ignore the guy that came second few seconds later? My, Cav sure is famous then! Not really though.

No but do you really think the casual fan is going to remember the guy that got second? I don't think so

May 27, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
If it's Phil? Yes.

Are you going to argue the casual fan doesn't know Andy Schleck now?

Maybe if they're Belgium. AS is a different case because he was high on GC and is that guy that came second three times in a row. The casual TDF fan will remember someone who won 5 stages over someone who won 1 and came second a couple of times at 1 tour.

You know there is a world outside belgium :rolleyes:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
woodie said:
Maybe if their Belgium. AS is a different case because he was high on GC and is that guy that came second three times in a row. The casual TDF fan will remember someone who won 5 stages over someone who won 1 and came second a couple of times at 1 tour.

You know there is a world outside belgium :rolleyes:

Just like there is a very big world outside the UK.

AS is the living proof that stage wins alone don't make you more famous. Flat stages are watched less than any other stages besides ITT and TTT.

I don't think Cav is more famous in France, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain and even Italy than Philippe Gilbert. And that are the big countries in cycling.

El Pistolero said:

AS is the living proof that stage wins alone don't make you more famous. Flat stages are watched less than any other stages besides ITT and TTT.
But what's your point? Do you really think that the name Philippe Gilbert rings a bell with more people worldwide than Mark Cavendish? Because I can guarantee you, it doesn't.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

I don't think Cav is more famous in France, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain and even Italy than Philippe Gilbert. And that are the big countries in cycling.

I'm not basing my argument from a UK perspective

No they don't but 20 stage wins in four years sure does. More TDF viewers will know Cav than Phil.

If Phil is more famous in those big cycling countries it's because he's won almost every one day race he entered this year. To the casual TDF viewer they are going to see and hear about Cav more.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
But what's your point? Do you really think that the name Philippe Gilbert rings a bell with more people worldwide than Mark Cavendish? Because I can guarantee you, it doesn't.

I can guarantee you Alberto Contador, Armstrong, Cadel Evans and the Schlecks ring more bells than Cavendish.

Which is my point: no way Cavendish is the most well known cyclist. He has the charisma of a donkey. It's irrelevant whether Phil is more famous or not. But Cav isn't and never will be the most well known cyclist.

El Pistolero said:
I can guarantee you Alberto Contador, Armstrong, Cadel Evans and the Schlecks ring more bells than Cavendish.

Which is my point: no way Cavendish is the most well known cyclist. He has the charisma of a donkey. It's irrelevant whether Phil is more famous or not. But Cav isn't and never will be the most well known cyclist.
Cavendish is certainly more charismatic than Contador, so you kind of contradict your own point.

El Pistolero said:

Cavendish was the only cyclist on the "most marketable athletes in the world"- list that was made earlier this year. He wouldn't be there if he weren't the most known active cyclist.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Cavendish is certainly more charismatic than Contador, so you kind of contradict your own point.

That's your opinion, I certainly don't think that's the case. For the Anglophone media perhaps. But there are languages outside English.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Could be, but I've also read that flat stages and time trials are viewed a lot less than key mountain stages. So that means any big GC contender is more known than Cav. Plus I'd say Phil had a lot more tv coverage during the Tour than little Cav this year.

Your the one who started the Cav v Phil debate, i'm just pointing out why your wrong in regards to who's more well known between those two.

El Pistolero said:

They probably do, but Cav will ring a bell over Phil to the casual fan. If it's irrelevant why did you mention it?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
Cavendish was the only cyclist on the "most marketable athletes in the world"- list that was made earlier this year. He wouldn't be there if he weren't the most known active cyclist.

And what makes you think such a list holds any credit? Lance Armstrong is more marketable even after his retirement. "Most known" and "most marketable" are totally different things. Contador has a doping history, Cav has not. The latter helps in being marketable.

But I can assure you this: if Cav ever tests positive he won't find a World Tour team as quick as Contador will ;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
woodie said:
Your the one who started the Cav v Phil debate, i'm just pointing out why your wrong in regards to who's more well known between those two.

They probably do, but Cav will ring a bell over Phil to the casual fan. If it's irrelevant why did you mention it?

I mentioned it to name a few cyclists who are arguably more known than Cavendish. You can definitely make a case for Phil as he's popular in Italy, France, Belgium, Netherlands and Spain. That IS the world: in cycling at least.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I mentioned it to name a few cyclists who are arguably more known than Cavendish. You can definitely make a case for Phil as he's popular in Italy, France, Belgium, Netherlands and Spain. That IS the world: in cycling at least.

So now it is relevant? Make up your mind.

That's 5 countries, and we're talking about total WORLD viewing, not cycling die hards, the casual fans, and to the casual fans around the WHOLE world Cav is most likely more known

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
woodie said:
So now it is relevant? Make up your mind.

That's 5 countries, and we're talking about total WORLD viewing, not cycling die hards, the casual fans, and to the casual fans around the WHOLE world Cav is most likely more known

The people who think cycling is boring and use Cav as example?

And no, the Tour winner will always be more known than a sprinter.

It's irrelevant because I'm not building up my argument solely around Gilbert. I'm saying Cav isn't the most known cyclist in the world. I'm saying that people like Contador, Andy Schleck and Cadel Evans are more known than Cav. I put Phil in there and if Valverde returns I'll add him as well.

http://www.googlebattle.com/?domain=Alberto+Contador&domain2=Mark+Cavendish&submit=Go!

http://www.googlebattle.com/?domain=Cadel+Evans&domain2=Mark+Cavendish&submit=Go!

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

Look we have enough delusional people on this site, Are you serious?
Cav no charisma and like Gilbert has I suppose? :rolleyes: Lol you are different class today.

I dont think anybody in Britain would of heard of Gilbert unless they were cycle race fans whereas the usual not informed person from Belgium would of heard of Cavendish for sure so i dont know where you are coming from on that.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
Cav no charisma and like Gilbert has I suppose? :rolleyes: Lol you are different class today.

I dont think anybody in Britain would of heard of Gilbert unless they were cycle race fans whereas the usual not informed person from Belgium would of heard of Cavendish for sure so i dont know where you are coming from on that.

In Britain Phil Gilbert is best known as the name of the headmaster in The Inbetweeners.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:

A lot of people in Belgium don't know who Cavendish is actually(obviously more Belgian people know Cav than British people know Phil. But does that matter? UK is not a cycling country while Belgium is).

The football (practice) match between Belgium and USA was watched more than WC cycling in September.