• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclingnews forum myth busters

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
dancing on pedals said:
Tom Simpson
I come from tom Simpson country a woman i work with used to live next door to him in Harworth.
I am particulary interested in the 1967 Paris Nice race and his relationship with Eddy Merckx who attended his funeral, if anyone has any information or photos i would be most interested.btw the bike he won the race on and his RVV victory bike are on display at the Harworth welfare club - plus a lot of other stuff.
Myth Tommy and Eddy fell out in Paris Nice
Fact "Tom taught me how to race" - Eddy Merckx

Tommy Simpson is a pioneer. The most important British rider ever. Period.

Robert Millar, and the Irish rider Steven Roche got me into bike racing with their exploits and to a lesser extent riders like Chris Boardman, Greame Obree. But i've read a lot about Tommy, and the man was different class. Good luck in finding info but i dont have any on that, it must be quite rare stuff.

Myth: David Cassani created a youtube video accusing Fabian Cancellara of motorised doping in his 2010 RVV PR double.

Fact: David Cassani did NOT create the youtube video or make any accusations specifically at Cancellara. Cassani simply appeared on Rai claiming that putting motors in bikes was possible. An annonymous youtube user created the video accusing Cancellara of doing it at RVV and PR.

Myth: All the top names ride the Tour of California as perfect preperation for the Tour de France

Fact: Only 3 of the Tour de France top 10 rode Cali. Of those only 1 - Andy Schleck was a contender coming in the top 5 with his 2nd place.

Hejsdal came 7th and Horner 10th.

From the next 13 riders (11- 23) only 1 rider - Levi Leipheimer rode the Tour of California.

The green jersey standings dont look much better. While Cav and his 5 tdf stages rode it, the winner - Allessandro Pettachi didnt, nor did anyone else in the green jersey top 10.

Of the competitors in the sprints - Farrar, EBH, Hushovd, Rojas, non rode the Tour of California.