• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclingnews position on drugs in cycling

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 25, 2010
Visit site
that's the thing peddling squares (nice name btw), CN, whilst i generally like, actually captures none of the beauty and passion of cycling. its very dry reporting on the racing. Quite "square" actually. For passion you have listen Roberto Vacci from Sweden, or check out the images of Camille J McMillan. If I see another bottom bracket shot on cn im going to puke!

First, I am NOT employed by CN. I do not work here, and get nothing from them, zip. All of my work here is voluntary.

I have tried to do my best to be even handed in my moderation. If I come across as having an opinion on issues, mostly doping, from time to time, I'm not going to apologize for it.

If you had any idea just how much time and effort some of us mods put into cleaning this place up and keeping it civil and fair Scribe, you might see things differently. There has only been one member I can think of where I have laid down a heavy hand, and that is the same person who has admittedly registered well over 30 times after being both asked to leave politely, and forcefully banned, yet keeps returning. This same member who sends mods and admins manipulative PMs. The same person who has the same posting style of baiting and antagonizing members, and staff, repeating the same, often absurd claims over and over. Why anyone would defend a person who behaves like this, or feels that stopping them or calling them out is unfair, is beyond comprehension.

Moderating this forum has almost been like a part-time job, done for free, and I'd challenge anyone in the world to do a better job. If you think you can, I suggest you write to the admins, explain why, and volunteer.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't really agree with the OP. To me CN is pretty matter of fact in it's reporting, and always has a story when someone gets busted. So it's not like they are sanitizing the information stream. They give forum members freedom to dissect it, rather than doing much investigative journalism.

@scribe, I've never seen bans made against anyone who didn't deserve it or wasn't obviously trolling. IMO there has been some lenience with forum members who tell fanbois they are idiots, but that has to be seen in the context of the trolling this forum has been subjected to.

shavermac said:
as examples, look at the article on Fischer being drug tested twice in one day. It takes a sympathetic tone towards the rider becaused he missed his sleep-in, and had to suffer the indiganation of a drug test. yet the sport has brought this upon itself. Landis said just the other day that everyone knows when the testers come by, so they hod off on shooting up until after they've been. so sending testing in twice in a morning is actually a good way to catch these cheats out. as another take the reporting on Basso's win up Zoncolan. Not even a question about whether he's clean on not. instead CN celebrates this past cheat, even while his teamate Pellitzoti sits on the sidelines for "biological passport irregulaties". And while we're at it, what does that expression mean anyway??! Probably cheating, probably breaking the law.

I didn't really get that sense from the Fischer article though I do understand your general frustration. Like a similar one on re Saxo a few weeks back, for me it was quite enlightening and I'd like to see more (preferably unprompted by tweets and blogs). My understanding (from the Frei admission, also detailed on CN) was that early testing might catch out those who didn't have enough time to clear the last traces of stuff out of their system. Fischer can moan all he likes but, as you rightly say, these are the times we live in. :rolleyes:

So it didn't seem (to me anyway) like CN was stroking his fur on that one, but I agree that Fischer won't get too much sympathy from CN readers. I ask myself why that is: in part because of a body of knowledge gained from CN? Probably from some articles, but perhaps more from these forums. :cool:

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Frankly, I'm satisfied with the way things are at this point in the game. The ones breaking the news and on top of the investigation are the Wall Street Journal, which I totally respect, and the New York Times, which lost me with some of their cycling stories and titles last year, but is gradually earning my trust on this.

They're also both daily publications as well as online entities, so an important story that has legs is well worth their while. Other sources of new information are also print publications, like Bicycling (kind of) and Sports Illustrated (definitely). Cycling Weekly will have opinions that will make it into print. But a breaking story like this is really for daily or weekly publications that can get it out in detail while it's fresh, with charts and graphs and sidebars.

I'd rather have Cycling News use their resources to report on the Giro, Dauphine, Tour de Suisse and the Tour, and enhance news taken from the WSJ or NYT and present that as well.

But let's face it, we're going to do a better job of keeping each other informed than anyone will do for us. We've got members from all over the world, who read things in a lot of languages. If in the long run, we can eliminate some of the weaker threads and have some that are focused and worth following, we can stay pretty well on top of things.

Kudos to all the people who've put in an effort so far. And thanks to all of you who were at the Landis letter thread as the story unfolded - those were the best hours I ever had here.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Frankly, I'm satisfied with the way things are at this point in the game. The ones breaking the news and on top of the investigation are the Wall Street Journal, which I totally respect, and the New York Times, which lost me with some of their cycling stories and titles last year, but is gradually earning my trust on this.

They're also both daily publications as well as online entities, so an important story that has legs is well worth their while. Other sources of new information are also print publications, like Bicycling (kind of) and Sports Illustrated (definitely). Cycling Weekly will have opinions that will make it into print. But a breaking story like this is really for daily or weekly publications that can get it out in detail while it's fresh, with charts and graphs and sidebars.

I'd rather have Cycling News use their resources to report on the Giro, Dauphine, Tour de Suisse and the Tour, and enhance news taken from the WSJ or NYT and present that as well.

But let's face it, we're going to do a better job of keeping each other informed than anyone will do for us. We've got members from all over the world, who read things in a lot of languages. If in the long run, we can eliminate some of the weaker threads and have some that are focused and worth following, we can stay pretty well on top of things.

Kudos to all the people who've put in an effort so far. And thanks to all of you who were at the Landis letter thread as the story unfolded - those were the best hours I ever had here.

+100000000000000000

Stuff like that makes the forums a hell of a lot easier to read, especially with Floyd's confessions (for want of a better word).

CN does a below average job when it comes to the doping issue.

The problem is that they rely on the teams and PR for a lot of the 'stories' and 'interviews' - so for example we had a big feature last year about Astana training in Tenerife, lots of interviews and features. Now, when Vino won LBL, CN came straight out with the 'Vino has been in Tenerife where Fuentes lives'.

Why the double standards? Why no questions for Armstrong and Astana about doping doctors living at Tenerife? There weren't any for the pure and simple reason that CN needed to work with Astana for that story and feature, and they weren't going to **** in that pot by asking tough questions.

Far too often CN lets the likes of McQuaid, Armstrong, Hog etc get away with nonsense - the consistently fail to ask tough questions and they fail to investigate. More often than not they just parrot the Armstrong/UCI party line.

CN needs to grow some balls when it comes to asking questions about doping.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
CN needs to grow some balls when it comes to asking questions about doping.

Not sure if they're in the position to do that - just looking at the current ads on my screen I can see Armstrong in two of them (Radioshack and Trek).

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
I find it odd that at the main CN Forum page, The Clinic is listed under "Road". I think this may be misleading or at least it reflects badly on the structure of the Forum since it implies that doping discussions fall under the category of road cycling.
Is there no doping in MTB, Cyclocross or Track?
I know this is not CN's position but I think The Clinic should be on a category of it's own and not under "Road" 'cause it kin of sends the wrong message.

TRENDING THREADS