• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CyclingNews PRO Paywall?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I say do a paywall and make it pricey. You guys don't want or need the forum traffic anyways. Hang a big price tag on the paywall. You can always reduce if you have to. My $0.02

I haven't noticed anything.
Wouldn't pay, mostly here for the forum and the "top level" news - race reports, start lists, and such.

Jancouver said:
2. Other sites are faster for results and most articles here are GB biased anyway and you can read very little about anything else.

Huh, I've always felt they're very US biased, makes sense since they're a - I think - mainly USA based page.

LBJ survived yesterday against Indiana. Sure he won't do that against Toronto, even though Raptors aren't that scary anyways, but Cleveland really suck outside James.

Meanwhile, Rockets and Warriors will cruise to WCF finals. Hoping that Philly will beat Boston, they should be the favoured team against the Celtics without Irving and such.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
I haven't noticed anything.
Wouldn't pay, mostly here for the forum and the "top level" news - race reports, start lists, and such.

Jancouver said:
2. Other sites are faster for results and most articles here are GB biased anyway and you can read very little about anything else.

Huh, I've always felt they're very US biased, makes sense since they're a - I think - mainly USA based page.

If you mean this site, it is indeed GB based.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
LBJ survived yesterday against Indiana. Sure he won't do that against Toronto, even though Raptors aren't that scary anyways, but Cleveland really suck outside James.

Meanwhile, Rockets and Warriors will cruise to WCF finals. Hoping that Philly will beat Boston, they should be the favoured team against the Celtics without Irving and such.

I think you might have posted this in the wrong thread. :p
Unless you're suggesting there will be NFL(?) content behind the paywall? Would be a rather interesting business model:
"Pay money to get news about a sport completely unrelated to cycling!"

Think I might have seen it and just merrily clicked on "no thanks, not interested" and gave it no further thought. So that's that, but what has happened recently is I have to whitelist and pause my adblocker if I want to read the main site. Don't know if it's the particular adblocker I'm using or whatnot, but it's merely a minor nuisance.

The forums still appear to be whitelist-free, so that is good.

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Think I might have seen it and just merrily clicked on "no thanks, not interested" and gave it no further thought. So that's that, but what has happened recently is I have to whitelist and pause my adblocker if I want to read the main site. Don't know if it's the particular adblocker I'm using or whatnot, but it's merely a minor nuisance.

The forums still appear to be whitelist-free, so that is good.

For now.... :twisted: :lol:

Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
Valv.Piti said:

I think you might have posted this in the wrong thread. :p
Unless you're suggesting there will be NFL(?) content behind the paywall? Would be a rather interesting business model:
"Pay money to get news about a sport completely unrelated to cycling!"

NBA, but that would be funny for a cycling page to have non cycling sports news behind the paywall.

Ads are here to stay for obvious reasons. I don't notice much bias in the reporting but I notice more fan bias when their favorite riders don't win. I would pay a small amount. I think that side of things is only going to become more entrenched especially as websites become more popular. People that used to buy newspapers every day are probably more okay about paying something. Some younger people want everything for free it seems.

TRENDING THREADS