• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

cyclist catalyst

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
So, what was that one moment that you thought that cycling, as a sport, lifestyle, or whatever it may be impacted you so much that you thought, hmmmm, this is for me?

My first century (100mi, or 160.9344km:D) at the age of 14 in the Coulée region of Western Wisconsin. Perfect sunny day, rolling in and out of the deep ravines that paint the landscape of this part of the country with really good people, cool bikes, and food over open flame to end the day. Changed my life.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Good question!
I have always loved riding bikes, since my very first one before primary school.

Thinking about "the moment" though - it was probably a scout group "Bike Hike" I did when I was 11 or so years old. Riding out of the city to a campsite in the country on my BMX with about 25 other friends. We all carried our own complete camping gear in backpacks etc and rode 40km out, stayed the night around the firs under the stars, and rode 40km back the next day.

Well... personally, as in when I ride, I still don't see it as a sport... it's just transportation.
How I started riding my bike? Guess it was just natural; had a 3-wheeler as a child... then I upgraded to support wheels, had them removed. At one point I upgraded to a bigger bike, but because my eyesight in a very short time had fallen to about -5 I had a hard time keeping my balance... after I got my classes (and thanks to a lot of time going up-and-down the quiet road where my grandparents live, with my grandmother running behind...) I (once again) learned to ride.

As for the sport; well... I remember seeing some of the Tour in 96 but I didn't really understand what was going on; thinking you got yellow if you won a stage, stuff like that... then I vaguely remember something about the Festina affair from 98, I even think I believed the race had stopped...
I don't think I watched anything again until 2003. In the meantime I'd also turned 15 and therefore could somewhat better understand it...
Not that I'll ever claim I understand it fully...

Kid who lived nearby had his older brother mod his BMX to include a 5 speed cassette. It started off a sort of Cold War style arms race in which other kids had to do better.

When I first rode my bike beyond the last house in the village, I realised that there was a big world out there full of possibilities. If only I just kept pedalling. I've been exploring it in one way or another ever since and I will never get tired of it. :p

A

Anonymous

I loved riding bikes when I was a kid, but once I began driving the biking days were over. Then I rediscovered the bicycle during rehab from major knee re-construction surgery. The bike has been a huge part of my life ever since.

Plus, the more I ride the more beer I can drink which is definately a win-win situation for me.

my first century last year. I'd been toying with it for about 3 years as exercise and loved watching the TDF but after training and going that far, I dedicated throughout the winter and kept going. Plan on 2 centuries this year and battling my weight issue which till I fix wont race. I need another year of hard training before I actually try my hand at RR.

RedheadDane said:
Well... personally,

As for the sport; well... I remember seeing some of the Tour in 96 but I didn't really understand what was going on; thinking you got yellow if you won a stage, stuff like that...

I used to think sprint stages were days when the riders would just have to do like 100 m and then retire for the day.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I remember watching the TdF in 86 as a 13yr old and thinking it was quite cool. I'd heard about it before and having been to France on many occasions recognised bits. It seemed exotic and different.

I did however find it very confusing that the commentators kept talking about this bloke "Eeno" who I couldn't see on the General classification anywhere but they never mentioned Hinault who seemed to be doing quite well. That and the fact that the American was apparently called Lemond, which just didn't make any sense at all.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
So, what was that one moment that you thought that cycling, as a sport, lifestyle, or whatever it may be impacted you so much that you thought, hmmmm, this is for me?

My first century (100mi, or 160.9344km:D) at the age of 14 in the Coulée region of Western Wisconsin. Perfect sunny day, rolling in and out of the deep ravines that paint the landscape of this part of the country with really good people, cool bikes, and food over open flame to end the day. Changed my life.

I was in Vienna, Austria and I was 15. We stopped in a bike shop and I conned my Dad into buying me a Puch Bergmeister. We took the train out to the Kitzbuhel area (Brixen im Thale to be specific) and lived there for that summer. I spent that summer riding the valleys and the passes and even joined a local club and rode with them down into Innsbruck and back. That was all it took.

Scott SoCal said:
I loved riding bikes when I was a kid, but once I began driving the biking days were over. Then I rediscovered the bicycle during rehab from major knee re-construction surgery. The bike has been a huge part of my life ever since.

pretty much this, but it was rehab for a knee injury to prevent surgery.

The Hitch said:
For me it was when i was in Poland with nothing to do and i had a barely pumped up kids bike available downstairs. I decided to ride it for some fresh air.

70 km and 10 hours later i returned and was hooked.

If I'd done that my parents would've sent out a search expedition! (Not to mention that I would've turned back way earlier when my stomach started complaining!)

TRENDING THREADS