• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclist popularity question?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
Nope: not a single one of them. Is this the US definition of "everyone"?

Those are athletes that almost everybody in the US has heard about. You have at least heard about shaquille o'neal? Only people who claim to be cycling fans (only watch the tour) know who Schleck and Cav are.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
I can only speak for Germany. Appart of the cycling fans hardly anybody knows who the Schlecks or Evans is. some 5-10 years ago this was different and many people knew the likes of Pantani, Armstrong and so on. But today, not.

But they know Contador. ;)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
In Spain the cycling coverage is brilliant (compared to UK). Any grand tour, if you go on the El Pais website, the latest stage will be on the main page, you dont need to go into the sports. Often its the 1st or 2nd story from the top.

Marca doesnt show anything but football, but AS has big spaces on its front page and a seperate homepage for every grand tour.

When Contador won the Giro the first time he was given a reception on the balcony in Puerta del Sol. The second time he went for the Giro, the tv station that shows big El Classico matches - veo7 snapped it up.

And of course the Tour and Vuelta are bigger.

Compared to UK none coverage its heaven and hell.

If there is a country where the ordinary man in the street knows who A schleck or Cadel Evans are, I want to see it.

Luxembourg probably

Well, in the Netherlands close to a million (out of 16) people follow Tour de France on the NOS (national channel) every day, its about the same for the most important classics. Giro isn't shown, Vuelta only in the weekends and is watched a lot less.

Also, an average of 1.25 million people watched the late night talk show during the Tour (the Avondetappe, night stage), which makes it more popular than the normal talk show that is on the same channel at the same time in the rest of the year.

A significant amount of Dutchies also rather watch Sporza for reasons I cannot understand, a small amount Eurosport.

Compared to the weekly football summaries (most watched sports event in the Netherlands) its not that good, summaries usually score close to 3 million, but are in a more favourable timeslot at night.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Is cycling just a small sport in popularity, even in places like Europe which is why riders aren't well known or is it the fact that there isn't a major star? Surely if Merckx won his races today and not the 60s and the 70s he'd be well known.

Here where I live, Texas, outside the cycling community there is only Armstrong. Cycling history started with him. He rode the Tour de France and won it 7 times against a bunch of french riders. He beat them on the sprints. And he beat them because they drank too much wine and ate too much baguette. And because they were lazy. Armstrong rode his bicycle from sunrise to sunset, really. Other guys (french ones) were out partying with Mario Cipollini (the rockstar).

It is really a shame that some of what I wrote is true.:(

I guess you could say that here some people become periodically household names.
During one stage in the TdF it was stated that the "usual suspects" were in the break. To which my mother and I just looked at each other and exclaimed Jeremy Roy and/or Mickaël Delage

I can't speak for the general Danish population though...

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Arnout said:
A significant amount of Dutchies also rather watch Sporza for reasons I cannot understand, a small amount Eurosport.

You seriously don't know why? One of the reasons is that with the NOS you might get the right name of the rider who just attacked after 7 tries. With Sporza they get it right the first time more often than not. During the Dutch championship as example it took the NOS 8 tries (I counted) until they knew which Rabobank rider attacked. I know there were lots of Rabo's around, but even after having shown his number they kept on guessing. That was the point I decided I rather watched the Belgium championship.

Dutchsmurf said:
You seriously don't know why? One of the reasons is that with the NOS you might get the right name of the rider who just attacked after 7 tries. With Sporza they get it right the first time more often than not. During the Dutch championship as example it took the NOS 8 tries (I counted) until they knew which Rabobank rider attacked. I know there were lots of Rabo's around, but even after having shown his number they kept on guessing. That was the point I decided I rather watched the Belgium championship.

Well I couldn't care less really. I recognize most of the riders anyway and Dutch commentary is more entertaining. Belgian commentators are often whining about courses and dangers and everything and in general not amusing.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
Precisely: your earlier post had more than a hint of US colonisation about it (they are big in the US so they mist be big for everyone)

No I was saying from the point of view of an average non-cycling-fan american.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
I currently live in Switzerland. People here (not talking about cycling fans!) know Spartacus of course. But in terms of popularity, I think he'll never beat Federer ;)
If it comes to other riders, they hardly know anyone but some grand tour winners. And even considering tour winners, if it's not LA or Contador, they don't know them. I would even go as far as saying that they are not aware of the fact that there are other races during the year than the grand tours :p

May 11, 2009
Visit site
In Denmark many cyclists are household names. Since the mid nineties when Bjarne Riis and Rolf Sørensen were winning a lot cycling is growing in popularity. Everybody knows Contador, Schlecks and other who have been on Bjarnes team. And I guess most could also name a few Danish riders.

The largest Danish newspaper has a cycling article in the printed version 4-5 out of the weeks 7 days. And even more on the internet. At least during the cycling season. Most emphasis is on the TDF. During the TDF there is at least 5-8 hours coverage every day and the most important stages are the most watched tv programs there is during the summer, if there is no football world cup. Football is still the most popular sport.

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
jordan5000 said:
Ok so I know that where I'm from (Canada) only Armstrong is a household name in cycling, are cyclists in Europe (and maybe Australia) as popular as other athletes there and are athletes such as Contador, Gilbert, Cavendish and the Schlecks household names? Thank you.

Every Canadian should know the name of Alex Stieda since he was the first North American to wear the yellow jersey - Before any American did. Given how Canadians feel about Americans, they should have a national holiday on his birthday in celebration of that achievement.

Arnout said:
Well I couldn't care less really. I recognize most of the riders anyway and Dutch commentary is more entertaining. Belgian commentators are often whining about courses and dangers and everything and in general not amusing.

As long as Michel Wuyts is still exclaiming "en nu ... met de versnelling" or "armvoll" every time anybody attacks/comes to the front/changes pace/forces a split" and "oeioeioeioeioei" everytime there's a crash/mishap/near-miss, Sporza is king.

Bavarianrider said:
No of course most people still know who Pantani is for example ;)
I meant that while 10 years ago many people knew the top cyclists, but today only cycling fans do. The ordinary man in the streats would not know who A. Schleck or Evans is.

Probably not, but everyone knows Jens!

Well, in Berlin anyway.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
Surely there can't be people in Britain who do not know who Cavendish is?! I.

LOL

Cav is way more well known on the Continent than at home. Well maybe not, now he's the boyfriend of *dodgy image removed* :D (its amazing the lad can even get on his bike IMO you'd think he would be permanently knackered)

Wins 20% of the stages in the world's biggest annual sporting event 4 years on the trot and I bet he can buy a pie in Greggs without a single hassle.

Cycling in the UK is slightly less important to the media than the 4th or 5th division football (womens) - even though lots of real people have bikes and ride them.

Cav's devotion and sacrifice to the sport when he could spend all day in the sack with his missus while not getting anything like the recognition he deserves shows just how much of a legend the lad is.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
jordan5000 said:
Is cycling just a small sport in popularity, even in places like Europe which is why riders aren't well known or is it the fact that there isn't a major star? Surely if Merckx won his races today and not the 60s and the 70s he'd be well known.

have you been to France?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
There is a massive sporting culture in Australia so even the people who don't really follow the sport generally quite a lot of riders.

you lot just love sport soooooooooooooooooooo much though.

I would not be surprised if more Aussies knew who Wiggo and Cav were than Brits. And maybe Martin Johnson too.

As a succesful Pom you can at least be sure Aussies will know who they need to beat :p

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
jens_

you are right about most things, even when you are wrong if you know what I mean - but here you are just plain wrong

she is unequivocably hot, I bet the almighty Cipo approves 150% of his heir's extra-curricular activities

Of course while this thread does paint a very bleak picture, one can cast ones mind back to the glory days in Italy of Bartali and Coppi. The country weeping when Coppi died. A song and numerous other stuff in his honor. Giro routes being decided in his honor 60 years on.

A national holliday in Italy when Bartali died, half a century after his onbike achievements. A plaza in Florence named after him.

Pantain being Italy's darling after success that spanned no more than 3 months. Tifosi still coming to races dressed as pirates years after his death.

Those where the days.

Something cycling fans can look back on with pride and tears in their eyes.

Oh and of course a big shout out to Belgium for the immense work it continues to do.

Mercx being named 3rd greatest Belgian ever. the kind of things history is built on.

The history of.

This thing of ours.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
still amazed that there are people out there who see peta todd as a hotie.why i'm surprised, after all the wife of van summeren won a beauty contest or something lol...

Just looked up some pictures of her, I won't say your wrong because everyone has a different idea of beauty, but most people would agree that she is gorgeous.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
As long as Michel Wuyts is still exclaiming "en nu ... met de versnelling" or "armvoll" every time anybody attacks/comes to the front/changes pace/forces a split" and "oeioeioeioeioei" everytime there's a crash/mishap/near-miss, Sporza is king.

Heheh.. yes. But the best one I've heard is Roberto Vacchi on Eurosport (Swedish), very knowledgeable and gets excited about anything that happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xojlhlMgnM
THE PELOTON CAUGHT THEM!!
GUSEV ATTACKS!!!
BRAJKOVIC ATTACKS!!
TERPSTRA ATTACKS!!