• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclists who “own” a particular climb or stretch of road

While confined during our state stay-home order I rewatched the 2014 Ronde, and loved seeing Cancellera put the hammer down on the final trip up the Ould Kwaremont. It got me to thinking how some pros have particular climbs or stretches of a race course that suited their characteristics so well that they virtually “owned” them. I’m not as knowledgeable as some of you but these examples come immediately to mind:
Canc: Kwaremont
Gilbert: Cauberg
Porte: Willunga
Valverde: The Mur?

What are other current or past examples?

Last edited:
Valverde doesn't own Huy, he and van der Breggen timeshare it.
The Côte de Cadoudal belongs to Alexis Vuillermoz.
Leonardo Piepoli owns Cerler (he bought it off Tony Rominger).

But a key one yet to be mentioned, I feel, is that Joaquím Rodríguez absolutely owns the Muro di Montelupone.

Two times a race has finished there, two times Rodríguez has schooled everybody on it. And that was where the legend of Murito was born. It made him, and he made it. Without Montelupone there is no Rodríguez, and without Purito (and then a decade's layoff), Montelupone's legend never grows to the extent it did.

Valverde doesn't own Huy, he and van der Breggen timeshare it.
The Côte de Cadoudal belongs to Alexis Vuillermoz.
Leonardo Piepoli owns Cerler (he bought it off Tony Rominger).

But a key one yet to be mentioned, I feel, is that Joaquím Rodríguez absolutely owns the Muro di Montelupone.

Two times a race has finished there, two times Rodríguez has schooled everybody on it. And that was where the legend of Murito was born. It made him, and he made it. Without Montelupone there is no Rodríguez, and without Purito (and then a decade's layoff), Montelupone's legend never grows to the extent it did.

Or they co-own it.

Exhibit A:

1206387629Quaranta%20Ivan%202.jpg

Exhibit B:

1599px-Autobahnbrücke_A28_127.JPG

I don’t get it either, but always interesting to see photos of cyclists when they still had muscles as opposed to limbs of sinew, bone, and veins.

Ed. Oh, wait . . . its the “I-40” (I-quarenta)? Or a joke about Quarant-ine?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS