• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclists who “own” a particular climb or stretch of road

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Here's Avenida Miguel Indurain. (this is the one in Murcia in which the renamed Avenida Alejandro Valverdre ends at.
avenida-miguel-indurain-31d811f42ad7fa0a610dee7d06b4998a.png

If anyone owns Angliru it's Jiminez, he's still got the fastest time even though he only got to race it once :(
Jimenez only 25th fastest according to this http://www.climbing-records.com/2017/09/new-angliru-top-50-far-away-from-fastest.html
looks like co-ownership by Heras and Contador
[/QUOTE]
Heras owns Angliru. It is one thing that he has a time that is more than a minute faster than what everyone else has ever managed (in 2000, where he would have won the stage without a break up ahead). But he also won the infamous stage in 2002 where it was raining and cars were slipping up the climb. Then add the fact that his 2002 time in rainy conditions still stand as the 9th fastest of all time in a bike race.

To name Heras the king of Angliru might not, on the surface, seem quite fair to Alberto with his two wins there, but there is just something about Roberto's performances on Angliru that is absolutely mythical and crazy, even if you take away the impressive stats. Also, if I have to be honest about Alberto's two wins, then only his 2017 win was iconic (largely because of the circumstance leading up to it). I find the 2008 edition much less thrilling and quite possibly the worst of the few Vuelta stages that has finished up Angliru.

W
Jimenez only 25th fastest according to this http://www.climbing-records.com/2017/09/new-angliru-top-50-far-away-from-fastest.html
looks like co-ownership by Heras and Contador
Heras owns Angliru.
To name Heras the king of Angliru might not, on the surface, seem quite fair to Alberto with his two wins there, but there is just something about Roberto's performances on Angliru that is absolutely mythical and crazy, even if you take away the impressive stats. Also, if I have to be honest about Alberto's two wins, then only his 2017 win was iconic (largely because of the circumstance leading up to it). I find the 2008 edition much less thrilling and quite possibly the worst of the few Vuelta stages that has finished up Angliru.

[/QUOTE]
What you describe with Heras was the kind of thing I had in mind when I posed the question. It’s a familiar to me used in American baseball, when a hitter-not necessary a great hitter—always seems to hit extremely well against a particular pitcher. Thus the batter “owns” that player.

Mortirolo:
Simoni was always strong there. He was the fastest four times:
1999: together with Heras and Gotti (record time)
2004: together with Garzelli and Valjavec
2006: together with Basso
2008: together with a larger group
He was unbeatable there for a decade!
Honorable mention goes to Tonkov who was a beast there in 1996 and 1997, also strong in 1994 and acceptable in 2004 past his prime.

Izoard:
Pantani always attacked there:
1994: 100 km before the finish in a last attempt to win the Giro
2000 Giro: He was distanced at every serious climb this Giro but was back with the best at the Izoard. Tried to work for his teammate Garzelli and crossed the top together with him, Casagrande and Simoni.
2000 Tour: He blew the race apart, but was not strong enough to stay away. He crossed the top together with Armstrong, Ullrich, Virenque ...

Rujano: Colle delle Finestre.
Gibo probably owns the Mortirolo, but Basso also has a legit claim.
I know that Punta Veleno was only used once, but it's Pozzovivo's most iconic climbing performance and I always think about that one when I think about him, so it counts (at least for me).

Mortirolo:
Simoni was always strong there. He was the fastest four times:
1999: together with Heras and Gotti (record time)
2004: together with Garzelli and Valjavec
2006: together with Basso
2008: together with a larger group
He was unbeatable there for a decade!
Honorable mention goes to Tonkov who was a beast there in 1996 and 1997, also strong in 1994 and acceptable in 2004 past his prime.

For me Ivan has a claim on Mortirolo. In 2006 Gibo stayed with him at Ivan's mercy and in 2010 he needed Vincenzo to support him on the descent. IMHO, Gibo's climbs are Alpe di Pampeago and Zoncolan.

Only skimmed through the post in my coffee shop so pardon me if it was mentioned already:

Pantani and Mortirolo:

225px-Marco_shrine.jpg

And in a different vein:

Tom Simpson and Ventoux:

I never really understood why people are still matching Pantani and the Moritrolo so often. I think someone actually once posted that he actually only rode it one single time in the giro. Like, sure the one time he rode it it was his big coming of age moment iirc, but there are way too many things that have happened on the Mortirolo for me to call it just "the Pantani mountain"

Reactions: gregrowlerson
I never really understood why people are still matching Pantani and the Moritrolo so often. I think someone actually once posted that he actually only rode it one single time in the giro. Like, sure the one time he rode it it was his big coming of age moment iirc, but there are way too many things that have happened on the Mortirolo for me to call it just "the Pantani mountain"
Also with Pantani you have a mountain to chose from.

I thought you meant that you'd recently rewatched it. That does seem to be everyone's favourite hobby these days. Watching old races, that is, not in particular watching PR 2010.
very, very late reply but yes, I rewatched a lot of races. I most recently rewatched GW 1999 with Frank Vandenbroucke and RVV with Cancellara-Boonen. In spring I mostly rewatched Paris-Roubaix. Now I really have that RVV-fever!

TRENDING THREADS