• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Daniel Martinez is the new Daniel Martin with additional letters

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nahh. Wonderfull domestique, could in the future be a leader but despite being able to defend himself in iTT (today he lost 54 seconds to Almeida so he will lose more to Pogacar etc...) very bad descendig skills and there's no way he can be a Top3 contender at a GT with those kind of descendig lack of skills.

Perhaps in one week races he may have a shot of being a leader if the profile of the mountain stages suit him.

If he wants to have a role as a leader he must however leave Ineos, because I don't see him be given the chance to lead in the next 2/3 years at Ineos in a GT

He is certainly not on the level of the Slovenians. I think he is on an equal level to all other GT leaders, maybe with the exception of Bernal (after all, he has two GTs and can’t rate others his equal as such), but the Slovenians are going to target the tour for the foreseeable future. One only has to look to last year’s Giro to see second (or third) tier GC contenders can win GTs.

I will concede he has to improve his descending. But doing so is not unheard of.

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
True, he was the last domestique to work for Ineos but if he was leading a team he would be doing even less work.

It always depend on the domestiques that will have beside him... If in the future he has domestiques at the level of himself, yes. If not, maybe he needs to work even harder as a leader in a weak team than as the luxury domestique in Ineos. Just look at the level of domoestiques at high mountais that Yates or Almeida had this Giro and you get the picture.
But as a conslusion, he maybe be a contender for a Top3 in the future, who knows

Last edited:
It always depend on the domestiques that will be beside him... If in the future he has domestiques at the level of himself as one yes. If not maybe he needs to work even harder as a leader in a weak team that as the luxury domestique in Ineos. Just look at the level of domoestiques at high mountais that Yates or Almeida had this Giro and you get the picture.
But as a conslusion, he maybe be a contender for a Top3 in the future, who knows
Yates did not have to work harder than Almeida in the Giro even if he had a weak domestiques. He just had to follow the Ineos train. He simply wasn't strong enough in the first two weeks.

Domestiques are far more important when you're leading and need to control the race or when you're behind and need to set up a serious attack. It is possible to win a GT without a strong team if you are strong enough as Pogacar showed last year.

Yates did not have to work harder than Almeida in the Giro even if he had a weak domestiques. He just had to follow the Ineos train. He simply wasn't strong enough in the first two weeks.

Domestiques are far more important when you're leading and need to control the race or when you're behind and need to set up a serious attack. It is possible to win a GT without a strong team if you are strong enough as Pogacar showed last year.

but he is no way near Pogacar level is he? I maybe wrong an Martinez turns out to be a good leader for a GT shot at a top3 in the future but atm I doubt it. It wont be with Ineos for sure, maybe leading in some 1 week races in the future so Ineos can test him in that role. We’ll have to wait and see

but he is no way near Pogacar level is he? I maybe wrong an Martinez turns out to be a good leader for a GT shot at a top3 in the future but atm I doubt it. It wont be with Ineos for sure, maybe leading in some 1 week races in the future so Ineos can test him in that role. We’ll have to wait and see
Yes, but he doesn't have to be as good as Pogacar to be a podium contender. Kelderman, Hindley, Carthy, Porte and Caruso have all been on GT podiums in the last year. Of those arguably only Kelderman and Hindley had a strong team.

I don't think those riders are a clear level above Martinez, so a GT podium should be achievable.

Well the same was said about Carapaz a few years ago and look at him now. I wouldnt be surprised if Martinez goes to the Giro as one of their captains, even after being so unlucky for most of this season.

The downside for Martinez is that his bike handling skills are not too great. Lot of crashes and also loses time on downhills too often.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well the same was said about Carapaz a few years ago and look at him now. I wouldnt be surprised if Martinez goes to the Giro as one of their captains, even after being so unlucky for most of this season.

The downside for Martinez is that his bike handling skills are not too great. Lot of crashes and also loses time on downhills too often.
Send him to the Tour with his buddy Bernal and Carapaz + Tao to the Giro.

Difference is that Carapaz was more developed when he moved to Ineos - He was also a GT winner and could command a GC leadership role - Martinez does not have this luxury, so may struggle for a GC leadership role in the near future - He'll even struggle to lead the team in a one week stage race.

• Wow
Very bad luck today but good showing here. I heard some commentaries on TV saying that they were surprised about his performance. I cannot say that I was because since last year I could see his power developing everywhere. With the way Ineos is going they will probably go to the Tour with several cards to play as outsiders.

But I am happy for Dani.

I heard some commentaries on TV saying that they were surprised about his performance. I cannot say that I was because since last year I could see his power developing everywhere. With the way Ineos is going they will probably go to the Tour with several cards to play as outsiders.

But I am happy for Dani.

Really crazy to say they are surprised about it when he has won Dauphine. 5th in the Giro last year.

Commentaries really be showcasing their lack of knowledge sometimes.