• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Daniel Navarro?

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Never heard of this guy before this year and he is destroying people on the climbs? He was on the front for the entire climb of stage 8 and dropped amazing GC riders.
He even outlasted Vino who barely did any pace making on the climb. Seems kind of crazy, if this guy is clean he would seem like one of the best climbers in the world, being able to pull contador all day and such.

He looked like Landis pulling armstrong for an entire mountain back in 04-05 tour?

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Daniel Navarro has long been a very classy climber, he just doesn't often get the chance to ride for himself. He worked hard for Contador and pulled off when he was cooked with a few kilometres to go. That's pretty much what I would have expected.

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure he's a great rider but its like he comes out of no where and looks like the strongest rider out there, and drags all the contenders to the top like its nothing.

He was just on the front for sooo long, seems super-human, I dont think any of the other guys in that group could stay on the front that long.

It seemed like he was pulling for the last 30 mins of the race, insane.

titleshot said:
Never heard of this guy before this year and he is destroying people on the climbs? He was on the front for the entire climb of stage 8 and dropped amazing GC riders.
He even outlasted Vino who barely did any pace making on the climb. Seems kind of crazy, if this guy is clean he would seem like one of the best climbers in the world, being able to pull contador all day and such.

He looked like Landis pulling armstrong for an entire mountain back in 04-05 tour?

anyway he s one of those domestique guys who can push themselves beyond their limits,but if you give him leader status he cant do much,but certainly today was very strong

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
titleshot said:
Ah come on, don't tell you didn't even watched this year's Dauphine Libere! I thought the whole "i only watch cycling in july" was a joke!

titleshot said:
He even outlasted Vino who barely did any pace making on the climb.
Actually he did, the camera was just too busy showing one particular overhype of a rider showing his actual worth.

He also pulled back to the team car to get bottles of water for the entire team, and got back to the head of the peloton to deliver them.

Twice.
________
Rohypnol rehab forum

titleshot said:

In Vino's defense he more than once went back to the team car, retrieved bottles and delivered them back to the Astana riders setting tempo and to Contador, once after drifting off the front on the final descent before the ultimate climb.

Edit: beaten by the guy with no syllables in his name! Drat!

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Uffff well is normal that you people from France, Italy, UK, USA, Russia, and other parts of Europe and other parts of the world don't know anything about Dani Navarro...

Maybe as I speak spanish and I'm fan of El Pistolero I know pretty well who is Dani Navarro... He is a SUPER domestique for the mountains stages but he hadn't had the oportunity to show it... he is pretty shy but he is one of the most loyals to AC... if AC is going to go for another team Dani Navarro also Jesus Hernandez and Noval are going with him for sure (I know that AC is going to sing again with Astana I'm just saying that as an example)...

Watch for Dani Navarro in the mountains cuz he can climb like LL or AK in theirs bests years... The problem with Dani is his form is pretty vulnerable have so many highs and lows but if in this TdF he can maintain the form ufff... watch it cuz AC is going to have a tank for the mountains...

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
titleshot said:

I was thinking of that Landis comparison myself when watching.

He didn't do quite as much damage as Landis did... but still watching him ride exposed at the front for that long a period and seeing guys sheltered from the wind falling off the back like Wiggins, Kloden and Rogers was suprising. It even looked like he may have had Sastre falling off the back before he got tired at the end of his effort (which seemed to allow Rogers back on and save Sastre).

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
beaten by the guy with no syllables in his name! Drat!
:p

Ryaguas said:
The problem with Dani is his form is pretty vulnerable have so many highs and lows but if in this TdF he can maintain the form ufff... watch it cuz AC is going to have a tank for the mountains...
We should also appreciate Martinelli (or Sanquer or whoever that was) specifically saying to Navarro and Tiralongo to take it easy on the transit stages and basically to have a rest day on wheels.

It paid off. Ask the 120 riders or so who were dropped by them today.
________
SIDE EFFECTS FROM AVANDIA

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
rxgqgxnyfz said:
We should also appreciate Martinelli (or Sanquer or whoever that was) specifically saying to Navarro and Tiralongo to take it easy on the transit stages and basically to have a rest day on wheels.

It paid off. Ask the 120 riders or so who were dropped by them today.

I'm afraid that he left too much energy today on the tarmac... I hope that he can recover a lot in this night and in the rest day tomorrow... go Dani!!! I'm waiting to see the same perfomace that you had today in La col de la Madeleine!!!

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget too that he was the rider (or 1 of them) that Contador wanted in the TDF squad last year, but Lance/JB feared that he would actually stick with Conti and said no.
As others have noted, though, he isn't always able to maintain a strong vein of form through an entire race, and isn't quite good enough on his own (or doesn't have the self-belief or want) to suceed as a GC contender. Much like Smzyd, who we saw pull this type of performance out in the Giro, but when used as a main rider, never can quite pull it out the same way.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
There is a little flaw in the OP's post though.

It's a disbelief that the team as a whole did amazingly good job overall, some kind of mental residue from all those lies sprout by Shack's PR machine and their fellow group of internet anonymous lancesexuals about Astana team being weak.

Yeah, Navarro did exceptionally well today. But he is not just a fluke in a otherwise so-so team, not just the only brilliant rider worth mentioning.

Yes Navarro pulled AC up to the last climb, but before that, on the first two climbs, the very same job did Tiralongo, Vino (!) and even Iglinsky.

And i think we may still hear from Hernandez and Noval who were struggling today.

We might yet see another threads specifically for them with people who only watch cycling in july congratulating them with outstanding performances.
________
Glass Bubblers

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Yeah. Cobbles aside, Astana provides better support to Contador than any other GC contender will get from their team. It's pure, proven class from top to bottom.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
He should join Garmin.

Why should he do it? He stays where Alberto stays just like Noval or Hernandez. And I'm almost sure that Sergio Paulinho rues his signing with RadioShack. He's a stranger in the team just like Navarro would be at Garmin.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
saganftw said:
uuuhhh i feel clinic :D

anyway he s one of those domestique guys who can push themselves beyond their limits,but if you give him leader status he cant do much,but certainly today was very strong

yup very much a clinic thing,going on what people are saying on twitter :D after thistour migh have a 2 year holiday :p

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Navvaro's Sunday stage 8

I was watching Ligget and friends talking about Danny pulling the chase up the last climb, he finished at 2:20, but is north of 30 minutes in the tour.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
conorlarkin said:
All that talk for the past 6 months of how they have a weak support for AC seems pretty stupid now.
That talk about "weak Astana" was ALWAYS stupid from the start.

Compare this:

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/team_palm.asp?year=2010&teamcode=ast&podium=1

with this for example:

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/team_palm.asp?year=2010&teamcode=rsh&podium=1

to see how that talk correlated with reality all this year long.
________
Hawaii marijuana dispensary

I think his performance today rivals the win that he took in the Dauphine. It was quite impressive and it is nice to see that he is getting the plaudits that he deserves for his efforts today.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
rxgqgxnyfz said:
That talk about "weak Astana" was ALWAYS stupid from the start.

Compare this:

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/team_palm.asp?year=2010&teamcode=ast&podium=1

with this for example:

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/team_palm.asp?year=2010&teamcode=rsh&podium=1

to see how that talk correlated with reality all this year long.
Radioashack has a higher CQ ranking than Astana, only by a thin margin, and only until the Tour is done, but there it is. Also a very large part of Astana's points came from Contador. Clearly I know better now, but pre-tour I expected Radioshack to be a stronger support team than Astana and I don't think that makes me a rabid LA fanboy.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Clearly I know better now, but pre-tour I expected Radioshack to be a stronger support team than Astana and I don't think that makes me a rabid LA fanboy.
As did i. They were off all this season but i sincerely expected more from them.

But this isn't about saying how "who's looking weak now, Shacky boys?" or comparing them, it's about the fact that astana isn't a weak team at all, and has never been.
________
Bmw m2b15 history

TRENDING THREADS