• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dauphine Libere starts on Saturday!

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
As the article says the Dauphine is close and it is one of the final tour preparation races, who is lagging behing, who has peaked to early and who will tame Alpe d'huez

Prologue: 6.8km with a small lump in it

Stage 1: Cat 3 close to the finish and a profile that drops off a cliff in the final 2k very steep downhill finish

Stage 2: Sprinters stage with 2 cat' 2s in the middle

Stage 3: TT of 49km with a flat finish but cat 3 early, reminds me of Annecy at the tour last year

Stage 4: First summit finnish on a cat 1 at rissoul (12.8km at 7%) will look very easy when compared to the Giro! (predict a breakaway of climbers who lost a lot early)

Stage 5: HC climb 31 km from the finish (17.5km at 7.5%) will be selective not sure how hard descent is (i guess another breakaway day)

Stage 6: WOW queen stage finishing on Alpe d'huez that puts the tour to shame,
•Km 13.0 - Côte des Fontaines - 2.5 km climb to 6.2 % - Category 3
•Km 49.0 - Col du Grand Cucheron - 18.5 km climb to 4.4 % - Category 2
•Km 99.0 - Col du Glandon - 19.5 km climb to 7.2 % - Category H
•Km 151.0 - ALPE-D'HUEZ - 13.8 km climb to 7.9 % - Category H

really want to see how close Contador can get to the record, i think he will only have the form to go sub 40 though...

Stage 7: Classics finish to the race, will leave victory undecided till the final day, taylor made for Phillipe Gilbert for me....

Dont have a start list im afraid but its a nice parcours for sure, i know Evans, Basso, Nibali, obviously Valv Piti!, the shlecks and Armstrong are giving it a miss, have no idea who is doing it so will go with Contador for the win as i know he will be there!

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Actually it starts on Sunday, the 6th of June.

Dauphiné. The website has an error that says that the Prologue was on the 6th of May. Must have been the mother of all prologues to require an entire month's worth of rest days to recover.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I guess the question is whether or not Contador will go for the win here. I know there is that quote flying around where he said " I'm not going to compromise my program for the Tour by trying to be on form for the Dauphine " or words to that effect, so I guess he might just soft-pedal it.

Who else is racing?

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm really looking forward to this one as well. Two TT's, including a 49 kilometer one. A mountain finish on Alpe d'Huez with another Hors Categorie climb on the way.

Neither Schleck will be there - they're doing the Tour de Suisse with Cancellara. I imagine it's too soon for anyone who did anything at the Giro to be riding. Valverde obviously won't be there. Contador doesn't want to be in shape to win this one because the Tour is too far off. Liquigas has a training camp starting some time this week for fifteen possibles for their Tour de France team, so I don't know who they will even send.

The course is definitely quality - now we just need a start list

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
The Saxo's startlist

Baden Cooke
Juan José Haedo
Frank Høj
Anders Lund
Jaroslaw Marycz
André Steensen
Jonas Aaen

Noone for the overall it seems

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
If Contador is going to take this seriously, then he wins on the Alpe.

If he doesn't take this seriously then I look to other guys like Anton and Soler who were climbing well late April/early May.

But it's hard to judge without seeing the start list.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Team Sky-
John-Lee Augustyn
Sylvain Calzati
Russell Downing
Edvald Boasson Hagen
Peter Kennaugh
Nicolas Portal
Geraint Thomas
Davide Vigano

Not sure who they'll have for overall. Maybe Calzati? Interesting to see how Gerraint Thomas goes in the TT's and mountains (he's expected to be in their TDF squad), Peter Kennaugh (bright young thing of British cycling) and of course EBH. Big one for EBH to prove his fitness for the tour.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Reverend_T_Preedy said:
Not sure who they'll have for overall. Maybe Calzati? Interesting to see how Gerraint Thomas goes in the TT's and mountains (he's expected to be in their TDF squad), Peter Kennaugh (bright young thing of British cycling) and of course EBH. Big one for EBH to prove his fitness for the tour.

I wouldn't expect much from EBH, I think he is still riding himself back in to form. He was nowhere in the Bayern Rundfahrt, he rode in the grupetto pretty much every day and finished seventh from last on GC.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I wouldn't expect much from EBH, I think he is still riding himself back in to form. He was nowhere in the Bayern Rundfahrt, he rode in the grupetto pretty much every day and finished seventh from last on GC.

What happened on him? Any crash? Or his form was still bad? When I saw the results of BR, I was very surprised.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
It will be nice to see what can Ton Danielson do.
He is most probable 4-place-in-GC-on-TdF-surprise-from-Garmin for this year.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
joy118118 said:
What happened on him? Any crash? Or his form was still bad? When I saw the results of BR, I was very surprised.

I can't remember the details but he was off the bike for quite a while with an Achilles tendon problem of some sort. I think he even had surgery.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Definitely not a lot of big names on the provisional list. I'll root for Contador, but my money (lying about having money) would be on Luis Leon Sanchez for the win.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:

That's my point exactly. If he does the same at the Dauphine then they need to look for someone else for the sprinters role on the TDF team. Ben Swift maybe?

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Forget my Luisle pick. Velonation has these guys listed as riding the Tour de Suisse, not the Dauphine.

The field in Switzerland will also include the defending champion Fabian Cancellara, who took a break after winning the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix, then built form by taking part in the Tour of California. He will join the Schleck brothers and Matti Breschel on the Saxo Bank team.

Other notable names are Luis Leon Sanchez (Caisse d’Epargne), Kim Kirchen, Sergei Ivanov and Robbie McEwen (Katusha), George Hincapie and Alessandro Ballan (BMC Racing Team), Thor Hushovd (Cervélo Test Team), Roman Kreuziger (Liquigas), Simon Spilak (Lampre), Andreas Klöden and Levi Leipheimer (RadioShack), Tom Boonen and Stijn Devolder (Quick Step), Mark Cavendish and Tony Martin (HTC Columbia), Dave Zabriskie and Ryder Hesjedal (Garmin Transitions), Nicolas Roche and Martin Elmiger (Ag2r La Mondiale), Gerald Ciolek and Linus Gerdemann (Team Milram), Simon Gerrans (Team Sky)and Brice and Roman Feillu (Vacansoleil).

TRENDING THREADS