• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dave Brailsford - cycling genius

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

TheSpud said:
thehog said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Did Cope not say at some stage that he thought it was pedals that he was carrying? How similar can medicines be to pedals in the way they feel in the hand? Or maybe be just meant that he was peddling. Or maybe the -al suffix was a hurried afterthought.

Cope said it might have been speedplay pedals, not reconciling that Sky & Wiggins use Shimano pedals. Terrible liar in other words, with an equally poor memory!

http://www.velonews.com/2011/07/tour-de-france/tour-pro-bike-bradley-wiggins-pinarello-dogma_183763

Scroll to third picture at the bottom of the page - those don't look like Shimano pedals to me ...

oh yessss. Speedplay

pastronef said:
TheSpud said:
thehog said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Did Cope not say at some stage that he thought it was pedals that he was carrying? How similar can medicines be to pedals in the way they feel in the hand? Or maybe be just meant that he was peddling. Or maybe the -al suffix was a hurried afterthought.

Cope said it might have been speedplay pedals, not reconciling that Sky & Wiggins use Shimano pedals. Terrible liar in other words, with an equally poor memory!

http://www.velonews.com/2011/07/tour-de-france/tour-pro-bike-bradley-wiggins-pinarello-dogma_183763

Scroll to third picture at the bottom of the page - those don't look like Shimano pedals to me ...

oh yessss. Speedplay

Clipboard_zpsbuktpisg.jpg

In Sky you even needed a"TUE" for pedals ;)

Re:

sniper said:
Falsehood? That's Brailsford's territory.
A mistake at best. But I'm not sure.
2011: "Bradley Wiggins recently won the Criterium Dauphine on Shimano pedals."
http://www.pedaldancer.com/2011/06/what-pedals-do-pros-use.html

Typical Spud trolling.

Wiggins was using the team issue Shimano pedals but switched to Speedplay with his knee problems, which even those strong shots of cortisone couldn't fix :lol:

So perhaps Cope was carrying just Speedplay pedals? Maybe we should ask his manager at the time Brian Cookson? :cool: Where did that clown go?

thehog said:
sniper said:
Falsehood? That's Brailsford's territory.
A mistake at best. But I'm not sure.
2011: "Bradley Wiggins recently won the Criterium Dauphine on Shimano pedals."
http://www.pedaldancer.com/2011/06/what-pedals-do-pros-use.html

Typical Spud trolling.

Wiggins was using the team issue Shimano pedals but switched to Speedplay with his knee problems, which even those strong shots of cortisone couldn't fix :lol:

So perhaps Cope was carrying just Speedplay pedals? Maybe we should ask his manager at the time Brian Cookson? :cool: Where did that clown go?

Excellent - he used both in the same season, I guess that covers all bases.

Must admit I cant quite believe there is website dedicated to who uses which pedals in which race.

thehog said:
There were only two bases to cover and both are correct. See Tenerife thread for most likely explanation for the suspect package, EPO being the candidate and not Speedplay pedals.

But the possibility that it could have been speed play pedals isn't ruled out (at least no more than shimano pedals).

TheSpud said:
thehog said:
There were only two bases to cover and both are correct. See Tenerife thread for most likely explanation for the suspect package, EPO being the candidate and not Speedplay pedals.

But the possibility that it could have been speed play pedals isn't ruled out (at least no more than shimano pedals).

Could have been a white elephant, possible but not plausible since it has always been described as a "medical package"; you do read what has stated, yes? Brailsford has also confirmed it was a medical product.

thehog said:
TheSpud said:
thehog said:

Could have been a white elephant, possible but not plausible since it has always been described as a "medical package"; you do read what has stated, yes? Brailsford has also confirmed it was a medical product.

Yes of course, I meant previously when you mentioned them using shimano. Also it cant have been a white elephant - you'd never get it through as hand luggage :lol:

Do I believe it was Fluimucil? No, not 100%. But do I believe it was EPO? No I don't. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something greyish area though. Maybe Fluimucil is more grey area haematocrit increasing than we all knew? Maybe it was something similar in the pack. I maintain my stated Sky position about pushing right to the limit. And I fully believe Leinders was instrumental in pushing these limits.

Whether we will ever know the full story or not, I don't know.

TheSpud said:
thehog said:

The possibility that it could have been women's undergarments isn't ruled out either, is it?

TheSpud said:
thehog said:
TheSpud said:
thehog said:

Yes of course, I meant previously when you mentioned them using shimano. Also it cant have been a white elephant - you'd never get it through as hand luggage :lol:

Do I believe it was Fluimucil? No, not 100%. But do I believe it was EPO? No I don't. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something greyish area though. Maybe Fluimucil is more grey area haematocrit increasing than we all knew? Maybe it was something similar in the pack. I maintain my stated Sky position about pushing right to the limit. And I fully believe Leinders was instrumental in pushing these limits.

How on earth would one have any idea what was in it? Why Grey-ish area? Because someone said Sky operate in the grey area and you hang on to that as a last refuge before finally admitting they've been doping all along?

red_flanders said:
TheSpud said:
thehog said:

The possibility that it could have been women's undergarments isn't ruled out either, is it?

Indeed not, however no-one ever claimed it might have been knickers, whereas it was mentioned that it might have been speedplay pedals. Which as we know Wiggo did use at that time.

TheSpud said:
red_flanders said:
TheSpud said:
thehog said:

Indeed not, however no-one ever claimed it might have been knickers, whereas it was mentioned that it might have been speedplay pedals. Which as we know Wiggo did use at that time.

Less mentioned and more Cope throwing it out there as some form distraction. Let's keep it real Spud.

red_flanders said:
TheSpud said:
thehog said:
TheSpud said:
thehog said:

How on earth would one have any idea what was in it? Why Grey-ish area? Because someone said Sky operate in the grey area and you hang on to that as a last refuge before finally admitting they've been doping all along?

Red - I've been quite clear where I think Sky operate, many times. I believe that, because they always said they would "go right up to the line", and by doing so they can claim to be clean as per the letter. I just don't believe they found that line until Leinders.

thehog said:
TheSpud said:

Less mentioned and more Cope throwing it out there as some form distraction. Let's keep it real Spud.

Indeed, but Cope did mention it - which led to you claiming he was lying because they used Shimanos and not Speedplays. A claim that was disproved.

What Cope didn't say was 'I thought that it might be a load of G-strings' - if he had then maybe we could have investigated whether they wore G-strings or big pants.

"I'm a short statement, Sir Bradley Wiggins admitted to taking the grey area substance but was careful to reiterate that it was for medical purposes and not performance enhancement. Wiggins did not name EPO by name but instead referred it to the grey area in his statement to the press, WADA have yet to make a ruling on grey area drugs."

:cool

thehog said:
"I'm a short statement, Sir Bradley Wiggins admitted to taking the grey area substance but was careful to reiterate that it was for medical purposes and not performance enhancement. Wiggins did not name EPO by name but instead referred it to the grey area in his statement to the press, WADA have yet to make a ruling on grey area drugs."

What ARE you on about?

TheSpud said:
thehog said:

What ARE you on about?

What a surprise! No one knows what was in the package, along with the Cope trip being "pre-planned" for his speedplay pedals :lol:

IMG_8794.jpg

thehog said:
TheSpud said:
thehog said:

What ARE you on about?

What a surprise! No one knows what was in the package, along with the Cope trip being "pre-planned" for his speedplay pedals :lol:

IMG_8794.jpg

Cant read the image but if you can show where it says anything in line with the fantasy quote you have above I'll look at it, otherwise its just another news story and irrelevant.

TheSpud said:
thehog said:
TheSpud said:
thehog said:

Except Leinders wasn't known for toeing the line. He was known for going way over the line and still having his riders test positive. uhhh "butter on the head"

DB Genius of the spreadsheets:
8 euro OR 2 days @ £600 expense account

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-4071804/Bradley-Wiggins-retirement-brings-new-twist-MPs-shock-lack-proof-mystery-package.html#i-2fc41b3f1935e8be
'We now know from Simon Cope's expense claims that the request to take the package must have been made some time in advance, and that he travelled from southern England up to Manchester to collect it, and then went back to fly to France from London Gatwick.

'If this medicine was needed urgently it would have been much quicker to buy it in France.

'We also know from last week's hearing that the medication was administered as soon as it was delivered.

Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
DB Genius of the spreadsheets:
8 euro OR 2 days @ £600 expense account

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-4071804/Bradley-Wiggins-retirement-brings-new-twist-MPs-shock-lack-proof-mystery-package.html#i-2fc41b3f1935e8be
'We now know from Simon Cope's expense claims that the request to take the package must have been made some time in advance, and that he travelled from southern England up to Manchester to collect it, and then went back to fly to France from London Gatwick.

'If this medicine was needed urgently it would have been much quicker to buy it in France.

'We also know from last week's hearing that the medication was administered as soon as it was delivered.

brilliant :)