• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dave Brailsford - cycling genius

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
It does seem a bit counter-productive for SDB to incite an already antagonistic crowd with nationalistic insults, overshadowing his better point that spectators should be more well behaved.

Re:

GraftPunk said:
It does seem a bit counter-productive for SDB to incite an already antagonistic crowd with nationalistic insults, overshadowing his better point that spectators should be more well behaved.

Agreed; call out people for spitting (disgusting and inexcusable behaviour) and throwing things at riders and he'll probably get lots of support...but focusing on the nationalism angle does just seem designed to antagonise.

Added to the French Mayor comments...once may be careless, twice is deliberate...

Re: Re:

brownbobby said:
GraftPunk said:

Agreed; call out people for spitting (disgusting and inexcusable behaviour) and throwing things at riders and he'll probably get lots of support...but focusing on the nationalism angle
does just seem designed to antagonise

Added to the French Mayor comments...once may be careless, twice is deliberate...

Disagree.

Frustration-induced hasty comment ... yes. On both occasions. Seeing what is at stake, forgivable.

Re:

yaco said:
I don't have much time for Brailsford who can be pompous and arrogant at times,but on this occasion he is stating the obvious - Sky receive a generous welcome in the Giro and the Vuelta, compared to the TDF - Sometimes the truth hurts.

Truth or not (more than a grain of it in my opinion, but thats beside the point) it does seem remarkably ill-judged. To complain about your employees being put in danger and then pretty much accuse the people putting them in danger of being a nation of backward half-wits doesn't seem very responsible to me.

I really think he knows his time is up before long and he just can't be arsed even trying to rebuild bridges.

simoni said:
yaco said:
I don't have much time for Brailsford who can be pompous and arrogant at times,but on this occasion he is stating the obvious - Sky receive a generous welcome in the Giro and the Vuelta, compared to the TDF - Sometimes the truth hurts.

Truth or not (more than a grain of it in my opinion, but thats beside the point) it does seem remarkably ill-judged. To complain about your employees being put in danger and then pretty much accuse the people putting them in danger of being a nation of backward half-wits doesn't seem very responsible to me.

I really think he knows his time is up before long and he just can't be arsed even trying to rebuild bridges.

Agreed, he has become very Trunp-esque in his responses in the last year or so. Constantly attacking, creating divisions, using culture and nationality as a means to *** stir.

Trump gets more and more deranged the close the Russia investigation gets to outing him, Brailsford the same. He is unhinged.

Alpe73 said:
brownbobby said:
GraftPunk said:

Agreed; call out people for spitting (disgusting and inexcusable behaviour) and throwing things at riders and he'll probably get lots of support...but focusing on the nationalism angle

Disagree.

Frustration-induced hasty comment ... yes. On both occasions. Seeing what is at stake, forgivable.

How can you possibly call it hasty? He said it during a rest day press conference.

Alpe73 said:
brownbobby said:
GraftPunk said:

Disagree.

Hmmm...not so sure this one was a hasty comment.

Rest day press conference, sounds like he’s gone in there planning to say exactly this to me...but who knows?

That said, I agree it’s borne of frustration and he’s spot on about the different reactions at the other grand tours, I just think the language he uses to get his point across is very antagonistic

I like very much the spectacle Brailsford’s shenanigans bring to the theater of pro cycling. He should have waited until after the Tour for these latest comments, though. I really hope Brailsford’s mouth didn’t just write a check that his riders have to cash. Rider safety is #1 above all else.

brownbobby said:
Alpe73 said:
brownbobby said:
GraftPunk said:

Disagree.

Rest day press conference, sounds like he’s gone in there planning to say exactly this to me...but who knows?

That said, I agree it’s borne of frustration and he’s spot on about the different reactions at the other grand tours, I just think the language he uses to get his point across is very antagonistic

It's nonsense to say it's a French thing. It's a Tour De France thing.

The booing, 'assaults', 'liquid hurling' and spitting have occurred on iconic climbs and finishes were the crowd would be (at most) 50% French. Does the Giro or the Vuelta ever attract such a cosmopolitan crowd?

The peleton has gone though la France Profonde without incident. Indeed towns and villages have come out to cheer them all on even when the Skytrain has been ahead.

simoni said:
yaco said:

I posted that Brailsford is pompous and arrogant - It still doesn't change the issue of the unsavoury and uncouth behaviour at the TDF, compared to the Giro and the Vuelta.

Mayo from Mayo said:
brownbobby said:
Alpe73 said:
brownbobby said:
GraftPunk said:

Disagree.

The booing, 'assaults', 'liquid hurling' and spitting have occurred on iconic climbs and finishes were the crowd would be (at most) 50% French. Does the Giro or the Vuelta ever attract such a cosmopolitan crowd?

The peleton has gone though la France Profonde without incident. Indeed towns and villages have come out to cheer them all on even when the Skytrain has been ahead.

Stop deflecting blame - Watching the TV coverage the booing is clearly heard, especially at stage finishes and podium ceremonies - Never heard this at the Giro or the Vuelta.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site

yaco said:
Stop deflecting blame - Watching the TV coverage the booing is clearly heard, especially at stage finishes and podium ceremonies - Never heard this at the Giro or the Vuelta.
Maybe because on Giro we were still waiting the result of the AAF, and for the Vuelta, we have to wait.

Different time, different situation, maybe DB didn't undestand that too.

brownbobby"]
Alpe73 said:
brownbobby said:
GraftPunk said:

Disagree.

That said, I agree it’s borne of frustration and he’s spot on about the different reactions at the other grand tours, I just think the language he uses to get his point across is very antagonistic[/quote]

The peleton has gone though la France Profonde without incident. Indeed towns and villages have come out to cheer them all on even when the Skytrain has been ahead.[/quote]

Stop deflecting blame - Watching the TV coverage the booing is clearly heard, especially at stage finishes and podium ceremonies - Never heard this at the Giro or the Vuelta.[/quote]

Which I did not deny in my post. I only pointed out that where it was heard the crowd was not wholly, or even majority French.

poupou said:
yaco said:
Maybe because on Giro we were still waiting the result of the AAF, and for the Vuelta, we have to wait.

Different time, different situation, maybe DB didn't undestand that too.

:p

9pvu2w.jpg

I would say also, it’s not that hot in May, you’re not getting the crowds getting drunk for 3 days straight. Generally at the Giro you can roll up on the day and see the stage. The Tour, no chance for stage like d’Huez.

thehog said:
:p

9pvu2w.jpg

I would say also, it’s not that hot in May, you’re not getting the crowds getting drunk for 3 days straight. Generally at the Giro you can roll up on the day and see the stage. The Tour, no chance for stage like d’Huez.
I have been waiting to see something like that. Either a big one or a lot of people "using" at the same time - thats funny and way better than all the *** they are doing.

JosephK said:
ontheroad said:
Brailsford has had another go at the French!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-blames-tour-de-france-roadside-reactions-on-a-french-cultural-thing/

It seems like unless you dance to his tune he just can't accept it. He must be living in a sheltered bubble where I honestly don't think he gets the anger of many withing the cycling world. Every time he opens his mouth he just end up making things worse.

LOL. Sir Dave is unable to resist kicking the hornets' nest.
It's a British cultural thing

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

thehog said:
simoni said:
yaco said:

Agreed, he has become very Trunp-esque in his responses in the last year or so. Constantly attacking, creating divisions, using culture and nationality as a means to **** stir.

Trump gets more and more deranged the close the Russia investigation gets to outing him, Brailsford the same. He is unhinged.
Amen to that