• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dave Brailsford - cycling genius

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/brailsford-resets-team-skys-strategy-for-2015

Rather than talking about tweaking things it’s more of a belt and braces, blank sheet of paper, let’s start again way of thinking,” he enthusiastically tells Cyclingnews as he navigates through Palma airport on route to Monaco.

“And I’m thinking a lot about what 2020 looks like and what the best team in the world might look like then. It’s quite fun when you think about it like that and how a team might work in five years time in terms of structure and training. It’s about going to talk to a lot of guys from leading sports teams in America and the world and seeing what everyone is doing because there’s some fantastic stuff that’s going on out there that we could bring into our sport.”

so.. marginal gains no longer work? starting fresh with new marginal gains? :rolleyes:

The marginal gains formula has been replicated, repeated and improved upon. No longer will a training camp in Tenerife suffice and as one Team Sky rider told Cyclingnews earlier this year, that approach and location was standard within a number of teams this season.

“It’s the same with training. We know that a lot of teams train like we do now so it’s up to go out and find better ways of training. It’s a lot of fun and it’s what it’s all about,” Brailsford says.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Interesting that sky invented altitude training. I could swear I have heard of people doing that before sky, but what do I know.

It also seems quite odd that if everyone has copied marginal gains, how can sky still win?

doping + marginal gains should be better than just marginal gains?

the sceptic said:
It also seems quite odd that if everyone has copied marginal gains, how can sky still win?

To be fair, what did they win in 2014 on the same scale as 2011, 2012 and 13? Omloop, Romandie and Cali, TT WC, and a 2nd at Vuelta?

Comapred to two TDFs and their prep races, 2nd/4th/2nd+3rd at Vuelta, Cav's wins, Olympic Wins?

Marginal gains may be a joke, but the quote is true: they are no longer unique or an advantage.

More Strides than Rides said:
To be fair, what did they win in 2014 on the same scale as 2011, 2012 and 13? Omloop, Romandie and Cali, TT WC, and a 2nd at Vuelta?

Comapred to two TDFs and their prep races, 2nd/4th/2nd+3rd at Vuelta, Cav's wins, Olympic Wins?

Marginal gains may be a joke, but the quote is true: they are no longer unique or an advantage.

If the plan is to have Porte and Dawg going FR again then they need to lay the groundwork for the story first.

You know, tell everyone how they ripped up the old plan back in December 2014 and started fresh. New ideas, new concepts, new training methods, training smarter then - BOOM! - Porte goes 7.0w/kg and Dawg attacks up mountains in the saddle at 250rpm.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
For me the most interesting words are: "The marginal gains formula has been replicated, repeated and improved upon. No longer will a training camp in Tenerife suffice..."

This implies that training on Teide was enough in 2012 and 2013 but not 2014. However, they are not the words of DB or anyone at Sky, it is not a Sky quote.

DB is saying nothing new here, we trained better and were clean but other teams copied us and caught up. We weren't doped and (impliedly) neither are the other teams. Training explains it all. Same story.

However, I agree it looks like he might be laying the groundwork for all out performances this year. It's a little like the 'clean performances will soon exceed doped performances' but not as ridiculous.

Also a nice sidestep of the Astana issue, more Omerta and doesn't want to make life any more difficult for his good friend Brian.

bewildered said:
"The marginal gains formula has been replicated, repeated and improved upon. No longer will a training camp in Tenerife suffice..."

talking about Tenerife, seems like they were thinking about choosing another place to train.
there was a piece on CN a while ago about their new training hub in Nice, and about finding another place to train instead of Teide/Tenerife

May 27, 2012
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Interesting that sky invented altitude training. I could swear I have heard of people doing that before sky, but what do I know.

Tenerife is a magical place. It isn't the altitude, it's the Unicorns.

pastronef said:
talking about Tenerife, seems like they were thinking about choosing another place to train.
there was a piece on CN a while ago about their new training hub in Nice, and about finding another place to train instead of Teide/Tenerife

Short drive from Nice to Monoco. Some good Doctors around there I hear.

To be fair I think they were bought a house and everything in Nice. Tiede they only had a hotel.

Good to keep it "in house".

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
If the plan is to have Porte and Dawg going FR again then they need to lay the groundwork for the story first.

You know, tell everyone how they ripped up the old plan back in December 2014 and started fresh. New ideas, new concepts, new training methods, training smarter then - BOOM! - Porte goes 7.0w/kg and Dawg attacks up mountains in the saddle at 250rpm.

I fear sky will be back to full mutant next year with the help of uncle Cookson.

Soon we will start to hear stories about how Dawg and Richie are doing their best ever numbers in training.

And it's all because sky threw away the formula that made them good in the first place.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dave Brailsford a genius my @rse.

more like bloody Golem from LOTR. Golem pigfukcing Daniel Radcliffe.

golum.jpg

the sceptic said:
I fear sky will be back to full mutant next year with the help of uncle Cookson.

Soon we will start to hear stories about how Dawg and Richie are doing their best ever numbers in training.

And it's all because sky threw away the formula that made them good in the first place.

Yes, Brian appears well on board with the new plans.

The UCI coder has programmed:

"IF "TEAM" = "Sky" THEN OMIT from TEST_POSTIVE" into the passport database.

Along with an auto approve on TUEs :rolleyes:

Quote:
''I like Tinkov, he's a real character and I think
he does alot for the sport. But to be honest I
find it quite flattering that he talks about me
so much. I don't think about him at all...'' :)

A true genius, is our lad Dave. A true genius.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
oldcrank said:
Quote:
''I like Tinkov, he's a real character and I think
he does alot for the sport. But to be honest I
find it quite flattering that he talks about me
so much. I don't think about him at all...'' :)

A true genius, is our lad Dave. A true genius.
how he managed to get Millar out of that dank Biarritz cell and bury all the other ped stash like Jens on Gan in 98, indeed, true genius

“It’s the same with training. We know that a lot of teams train like we do now so it’s up to go out and find better ways of training. It’s a lot of fun and it’s what it’s all about,” Brailsford says.

Sky discovered off-season riding?

Who knew it was such a secret.

Can't wait 'til someone finds out you can ride Monday-Friday, and don't have to wait for weekends.

Dave.

D-Queued said:
Sky discovered off-season riding?

Who knew it was such a secret.

Can't wait 'til someone finds out you can ride Monday-Friday, and don't have to wait for weekends.

Dave.

Look like they've also discovered riding as well. Who would have thought riding your bike would make you ride your bike better :cool:

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
bit of a waste of time this thread. He's said very little different from the usual party line of we will train harder and beat all the rest. For training read doping. Nothing new here

TRENDING THREADS