• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

David Gaudu discussion thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Bernal definitely disappointed this February. Gaudu did not.

Would be funny if Gaudu turned out to be the better rider after all, considering all the hype surrounding Bernal. Okay, it's way too early for that, but is it out of the question? I don't know.
 
Re: Re:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Bernal definitely disappointed this February. Gaudu did not.

Would be funny if Gaudu turned out to be the better rider after all, considering all the hype surrounding Bernal. Okay, it's way too early for that, but is it out of the question? I don't know.
I don't think anything is out of the question. Who the hell after 2013 Tour would have tipped Tom Dumoulin to become better GT rider than Nairo Quintana?
 
Re: Re:

Anderis said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Bernal definitely disappointed this February. Gaudu did not.

Would be funny if Gaudu turned out to be the better rider after all, considering all the hype surrounding Bernal. Okay, it's way too early for that, but is it out of the question? I don't know.
I don't think anything is out of the question. Who the hell after 2013 Tour would have tipped Tom Dumoulin to become better GT rider than Nairo Quintana?
I think, as far as GC goes, that Bernal seems better at timetrialing than Gaudu. As far as climbing goes, we'll have to wait for the summer, imho.
 
Great ride today! And yes, Bernal-Gaudu talks are inevitable. Great talents, Champion potential. For David, I see a great '19 season, reaching the next level, still one step below Pinot-Bardet, but with a lot of room to grow.

...good for my CQ team ranking too ;) .
 
Re:

armchairclimber said:
A great ride at LBL. So close to a podium and the best performance from an U23 for over 35 years according to FDJ. It bodes well for the season ahead... should some real grit.
Best performance? What does that mean? 23-year-old Betancur was 4th as late as 2013. Not really sure what meassure they're using at FDJ.
 
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
armchairclimber said:
A great ride at LBL. So close to a podium and the best performance from an U23 for over 35 years according to FDJ. It bodes well for the season ahead... should some real grit.
Best performance? What does that mean? 23-year-old Betancur was 4th as late as 2013. Not really sure what meassure they're using at FDJ.
Technically, Betancur was not u-23 rider in 2013. He was turning 24 before the end of that year.
 
Re: Re:

Anderis said:
Hugo Koblet said:
armchairclimber said:
A great ride at LBL. So close to a podium and the best performance from an U23 for over 35 years according to FDJ. It bodes well for the season ahead... should some real grit.
Best performance? What does that mean? 23-year-old Betancur was 4th as late as 2013. Not really sure what meassure they're using at FDJ.
Technically, Betancur was not u-23 rider in 2013. He was turning 24 before the end of that year.
Ah, I see. I didn't know that was the criteria. I guess they could be right then. Just ignore my comment :D
 
I think he rode a great race yesterday. Smart as well, he was there when he needed to be there, didn't waste energy. So by any standards, he did good. But best result is not quite the same as best performance imho.

I think Lambrecht's performance yesterday was equally good. He went on the attack and burned too much energy, to follow the group with Gaudu on the final climb, and finished a minute down. He's 6 months younger. Pogacar finished only 30 seconds down, and he's 18 months younger.

If i'm honest, after what he showed in october, this is kind of what i was expecting of him. So, while i agree he rode a great LBL, i kind of feel it's really the first time this season that he has shown his potential. We've all been talking about him and Bernal, but now there are guys that are 6 to 18 months younger, that are stepping up, like Sivakov, Lambrecht and Pogacar. Maybe i'm expecting too much, but i guess i was kind of expecting him to still be ahead of those guys by some margin, and now i'm not too sure about that. Looking at the Ardennes races (not just LBL), i feel Lambrecht has easily been the more impressive performer. Looking at the stage races earlier in the season, it's hard to argue that Pogacar has been a level above Gaudu.

But i'm still expecting him to show he's the best in the high mountains come summer. Not taking Bernal into account at least.
 
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Anderis said:
Hugo Koblet said:
armchairclimber said:
A great ride at LBL. So close to a podium and the best performance from an U23 for over 35 years according to FDJ. It bodes well for the season ahead... should some real grit.
Best performance? What does that mean? 23-year-old Betancur was 4th as late as 2013. Not really sure what meassure they're using at FDJ.
Technically, Betancur was not u-23 rider in 2013. He was turning 24 before the end of that year.
Ah, I see. I didn't know that was the criteria. I guess they could be right then. Just ignore my comment :D
It's usually like that in a sport competition. To be considered UXX you need to be no older than XX at 31st of December of a given year.

Similarly, if a rider is 25 in July, but is turning 26 in let's say, November, he is not eligible for white jersey competition at TdF. It's year of birth that matters, not the actual date.
 
Re: Re:

Anderis said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Anderis said:
Hugo Koblet said:
armchairclimber said:
A great ride at LBL. So close to a podium and the best performance from an U23 for over 35 years according to FDJ. It bodes well for the season ahead... should some real grit.
Best performance? What does that mean? 23-year-old Betancur was 4th as late as 2013. Not really sure what meassure they're using at FDJ.
Technically, Betancur was not u-23 rider in 2013. He was turning 24 before the end of that year.
Ah, I see. I didn't know that was the criteria. I guess they could be right then. Just ignore my comment :D
It's usually like that in a sport competition. To be considered UXX you need to be no older than XX at 31st of December of a given year.

Similarly, if a rider is 25 in July, but is turning 26 in let's say, November, he is not eligible for white jersey competition at TdF. It's year of birth that matters, not the actual date.
Thanks for the elaboration.
 
Re:

armchairclimber said:
In a way, I think his most impressive performance was at LBL two years ago when he attacked Valverde ... unsuccessfully in the end, but it was a ballsy move for a kid.
True. But it's a confirmation that he can repeat. The lack of sprinting ability may keep him as a perennial top-10 and no win tho'.
 
Re:

armchairclimber said:
I think he heard you.
Yep :eek: . Still, Gaudu building a string of good results could be the time when he realizes how good he is, believes, gets to the next level, while still being pressure-free from the French public. A good place to be. We may be witnessing David become "The Dave" (not gonna say "Goliath" just yet) before our very eyes. Please, please,please :) .
 
May 30, 2016
124
0
2,830
Re: Re:

Anderis said:
Hugo Koblet said:
armchairclimber said:
A great ride at LBL. So close to a podium and the best performance from an U23 for over 35 years according to FDJ. It bodes well for the season ahead... should some real grit.
Best performance? What does that mean? 23-year-old Betancur was 4th as late as 2013. Not really sure what meassure they're using at FDJ.
Technically, Betancur was not u-23 rider in 2013. He was turning 24 before the end of that year.
Alaf was 22 when he finished 2nd in 2015...
 
Re: Re:

manolo57 said:
Anderis said:
Hugo Koblet said:
armchairclimber said:
A great ride at LBL. So close to a podium and the best performance from an U23 for over 35 years according to FDJ. It bodes well for the season ahead... should some real grit.
Best performance? What does that mean? 23-year-old Betancur was 4th as late as 2013. Not really sure what meassure they're using at FDJ.
Technically, Betancur was not u-23 rider in 2013. He was turning 24 before the end of that year.
Alaf was 22 when he finished 2nd in 2015...
To be an u23 rider you cannot turn 23 in that year. So for example this year riders born in 1997 or before are u23 so Alaphilippe was not an u23 rider (able to ride u23 races, even though he was 22).That being said same goes for gaudu he is currently 22 but will turn 23 this year so he is not allowed in u23 races this Year.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts