• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

David Gaudu discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
His 2018 race program so far:

Tour La Provence
Boucles Drôme-Ardèche
Volta a Catalunya
Vuelta a Pais Vasco
Flèche Wallonne
Critérium du Dauphiné

Hmm still no LBL. He rode Lombardia last year though.

However that is great, learning with Pinot in Catalunya and fight for top 10/stage victories in the other races.

Yes, so far in '18, the Bernal vs. Gaudu is not even a discussion. I wonder if Marc Madiot is building up Gaudu's mileage, work-load in '18 in a big way and planning on '19. Not unlike what he did with Pinot in '11. A lot of riding, and results come later in the year. Like this... https://youtu.be/u2BlRD4npMc La Toussuire finish and just turned 21, second place for Tibopino (I never miss an opportunity, do I ;) ). Purito was very strong...beating Vino, Cuddles, Wiggo...not bad...

I don't know what the plan is, but my gut feeling expressed above can't be very far from the truth (translation: I could be dead wrong :D ). But I'd sure like to see David at the Vuelta with some support (the Giro guys who didn't race the Tour t make room for Demare-Cimolai-Guarnieri-+one or two).

Re:

armchairclimber said:
It has been a very subdued start to the year for our swashbuckling young hero. One can only hope that he is suffering from a temporary malaise ... or aiming to peak late summer. I hope he shows something in Romandie, for which he would appear to be leader.
Aiming to peak for Dauphine, i think.

Re: Re:

fauniera said:
armchairclimber said:
It has been a very subdued start to the year for our swashbuckling young hero. One can only hope that he is suffering from a temporary malaise ... or aiming to peak late summer. I hope he shows something in Romandie, for which he would appear to be leader.
Aiming to peak for Dauphine, i think.
You watched the video :) . I agree. The funny thing is that Guimard sees Pinot getting a last minute call for the '12 TdF as a terrible thing. Like too much too soon. Guimard who stopped Hinault from riding the '77 TdF. Bernard would have won it. Dauphine is the common denominator. Thanks for bringing it up.

Marc Madiot is trying to be Guimard. I believe. We'll see...

Peak at the Dauphine? True maybe, but to be competitive takes 2-3 years more. And no matter how talented he is, he is very young. More pure climber than GC allrounder, so high mountain stage hunting or support role at the mountains looming if not getting more muscle for tt'ing. :rolleyes:

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
memyselfandI said:
Peak at the Dauphine? True maybe, but to be competitive takes 2-3 years more. And no matter how talented he is, he is very young. More pure climber than GC allrounder, so high mountain stage hunting or support role at the mountains looming if not getting more muscle for tt'ing. :rolleyes:

He took 2 kg comparing to last year to be prepared to fight for a GC. He maybe struggles a little bit because of that now ?

I'm not worried at all, he's young and it's difficult to be regular all the season. In 2016, he was pretty much nowhere to be found before May, even abandoning la Ronde de l'Isard because of horrendous weather, and we know the rest : Course de la Paix, 5th in the Tour de l'Ain, winner of the Tour de l'Avenir...

Be patient folks, he is only 21.

David was a one man wrecking crew today. A Sky train. Asphyxiated everyone while riding the Pinot tempo. Pinot would have won anyways. David Gaudu did shred a world class field. Barnal, Gaudu, we'll see. Both are so young, need to learn the ropes. That discussion is for another day. Today, David Gaudu was a beast. Joyeux Anniversaire (and Tonton won't punch :D ).