• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

David Gaudu discussion thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ahah, while Madiot and all the French fans give us the FDJ perfect team, fighting for us against the evil side of cycling. it's silly I know but I'm enjoying the Gaudu/Demare saga

Yeah, that is 100% what I am feeling, too. I could not have written and explained it better.

These are the little background stories in cycling I like. Something unexpected, and something to laugh about.

Best thing here is that I think all will come to a good end. It will be fine. The team can be proud of their best climber Gaudu and best sprinter Demare. And these two can be proud of their likeable team. And with wearing such a beautifully designed jersey in 2023, I cannot imagine someone of these two will leave the team, anyways.

Yeah, that is 100% what I am feeling, too. I could not have written and explained it better.

These are the little background stories in cycling I like. Something unexpected, and something to laugh about.

Best thing here is that I think all will come to a good end. It will be fine. The team can be proud of their best climber Gaudu and best sprinter Demare. And these two can be proud of their likeable team. And with wearing such a beautifully designed jersey in 2023, I cannot imagine someone of these two will leave the team, anyways.

Maybe I just don't get men. I don't understand, whether in the Ala/Pl story or here, how people come to the conclusion "it is/will be fine".

Reactions: tobydawq
That's what I didn't understand so far - was it a private chat that was leaked? It sure wasn't meant to be public? Which media is it?
Seems like a Discord chat, probably with some friends or people training with him. Honestly I'm inclined to believe Gaudu made the "mistake" on purpose. Now he's saying it wasn't meant to go public, but he can't be so naive to think it wouldn't.

Seems like a Discord chat, probably with some friends or people training with him. Honestly I'm inclined to believe Gaudu made the "mistake" on purpose. Now he's saying it wasn't meant to go public, but he can't be so naive to think it wouldn't.

Or he is just not just the brightest.

Maybe he thought he was chatting with people in confidence, that he trusted, and the stuff that were said would stay there. Im sure a lot us are a part of group chats like that.

I dont think he is calculated enough that he would do a mistake like that on purpose. Maybe he was just joking with friends. I know me and a group of friends can joke like that, but dont really be meaning it literally. If you are just reading it might look bad though, without knowing the tone or any context.

Either way, it is a pretty dumb to talk *** about people behind their back. Both in your personal or professional life. It is frankly quite embarrassing, especially if you get caught doing it, and has the possibility to ruin relationships or your reputation.

I think this will blow over though. In a couple of months many will have probably forgot about it and everyone moves on.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Maybe I just don't get men. I don't understand, whether in the Ala/Pl story or here, how people come to the conclusion "it is/will be fine".

Ah, I have to correct myself.

I just read a few press articles with details about what Gaudu in fact wrote.

That changed everything. Now to me the relationship between Gaudu and Demare really seems to be very, very problematic, to say the least.

Gaudu mentioned that Demare does not use the elevator when Gaudu is in. And Demare apparently wanted to make Gaudu crash at a recent team training camp.

Madiot is angry… But Gaudu and Demare shall ride Paris-Nice together in a few weeks‘ time. Very difficult situation.

Reactions: pastronef and BR2
Not sure what the problem is. Gaudu has to just follow wheels of the better climbers or on his own. He does not need more than 3 to ensure that he reaches the foot of the climb in one piece and with maximum energy. Denare and train can easily fit in as long as they dont chase the breakaway and let other do the job. Both are not the favorites, it probably only ego

Not sure what the problem is. Gaudu has to just follow wheels of the better climbers or on his own. He does not need more than 3 to ensure that he reaches the foot of the climb in one piece and with maximum energy. Denare and train can easily fit in as long as they dont chase the breakaway and let other do the job. Both are not the favorites, it probably only ego

Yeah, but you never know what will happen. If something happens to Vinge and Pogacar, then Gaudu suddenly is favourite Number One to win this next Tour. Then at the latest he‘ll need a whole team for him.

Demare already won TdF stages. So he would go for Green.

IMHO, Yellow is more important. So, the team should be Gaudu plus seven domestiques for Gaudu (for climbing, but also for every other terrain; people who can protect their Yellow Jersey).

Gaudu modestly speaks of podium, but he clearly prepares now to win this Tour. Because you never know.

Yeah, but you never know what will happen. If something happens to Vinge and Pogacar, then Gaudu suddenly is favourite Number One to win this next Tour. Then at the latest he‘ll need a whole team for him.

Demare already won TdF stages. So he would go for Green.

IMHO, Yellow is more important. So, the team should be Gaudu plus seven domestiques for Gaudu (for climbing, but also for every other terrain; people who can protect their Yellow Jersey).

Gaudu modestly speaks of podium, but he clearly prepares now to win this Tour. Because you never know.

Lol, he is never going to win any Tour, come on...

Reactions: Fantastico
Madiot is angry… But Gaudu and Demare shall ride Paris-Nice together in a few weeks‘ time. Very difficult situation.

Do you have an article in English (or French) about Madiot's reaction towards it? Because the one I've been able to find - in Danish - Madiot seemed to indicate that he trusted the conflict had been settled.

I don't think there is a clear "favourite" after Pogacar and Vingegaard. It's those two and "everyone else".

Do you have an article in English (or French) about Madiot's reaction towards it? Because the one I've been able to find - in Danish - Madiot seemed to indicate that he trusted the conflict had been settled.

In German only, sadly:

„Ob sie angeschrien werden? Das wurden sie bereits! Sie sind keine Freunde, ok – aber mein Job ist es, dass sie zusammenarbeiten. Sie können sagen, was sie wollen, wenn sie unter Freunden sind, aber nicht auf Social Media", so Madiot, der außerdem betonte: "Sie sollen Paris-Nizza zusammen fahren, und daran werden wir nichts ändern!"

It‘s from radsport-news.com.

Translation into English: Madiot:

„Are they being yelled at? They already have! They're not friends, ok - but my job is for them to work together. They can say what they want when they are among friends, but not on social media," said Madiot, who also stressed: "They should drive Paris-Nice together and we will not change that!"

In German only, sadly:

„Ob sie angeschrien werden? Das wurden sie bereits! Sie sind keine Freunde, ok – aber mein Job ist es, dass sie zusammenarbeiten. Sie können sagen, was sie wollen, wenn sie unter Freunden sind, aber nicht auf Social Media", so Madiot, der außerdem betonte: "Sie sollen Paris-Nizza zusammen fahren, und daran werden wir nichts ändern!"

It‘s from radsport-news.com.

Translation into English: Madiot:

„Are they being yelled at? They already have! They're not friends, ok - but my job is for them to work together. They can say what they want when they are among friends, but not on social media," said Madiot, who also stressed: "They should drive Paris-Nice together and we will not change that!"

Then it definitely seems like different translations. However, I think this might be the original article in French.

Cyclisme. Clash Gaudu – Démare ? Marc Madiot : « Je ne demande pas à mes coureurs d’être copains ! » (ouest-france.fr)

Marc Madiot, requested by Ouest-France, revealed to us that he had exchanged with the runners and that the episode was closed. According to him, this absolutely does not call into question the racing schedules of the two runners. “The proof, they will be in Paris – Nice together in a month and a half”, says the boss of the formation.

And to add the bottom of his thought: “They are not friends, okay, but I do not ask the runners to be friends, but to know how to work together. And I have enough experience to know that it is not necessarily those with whom you are the friendliest that you work best... "

According to him, the words of David Gaudu are "*** of a kid". The following ? He has full confidence in his two riders to work together properly in the race. “We'll see if that creates problems, and then it's up to me to manage them internally. But I trust them,” he said.

Madiot the animated manager being more sensible than Pat

He is going great at the moment, even on the same level as Pog. Is he the biggest French hope for the TDF yet?

Fq92ehcWcAYN6k7

dzhpyw0ql4na1.jpg

Last edited:
He is very good right now.

But this is not even close to the hope the French must have felt during the 2019 Tour de France
Not "during". We're not at the Tour yet.

David Gaudu has grown, he now is the #1 French GT "hope", and this Paris-Nice can be the turning point in his career. Having last year's Tour and other successes under his belt, at this point in the '23 season, David is contending with the New Merckx (yes) and beating the TdF winner. This could be a defining moment. Hats off!

The French public had no expectations for Gaudu in '22, he was never close to winning, he got some love but the World Cup took all the public attention. We may have the best player in the World in both football/soccer and rugby.

But every year, the French start to play tennis 2-3 before Rolland Garros, casual cycling fans tune in at the Dauphiné. Before that, they watched PR. The cycle never ends, and there's the Olympics.

We're not at the Tour yet.

And I think that he's much better prepared for "The Circus" than any French GT rider in the recent past. But for hype to exist, David needs a super solid Dauphiné. For reference, in '20, Thibaut was 5th in PN, then second at the CdD.

Allez David!

Pinot was close to win the tour because he was the strongest climber in the peloton that year. Gaudu has never been close to be the strongest climber in the peloton.
Pinot often looked good for two weeks but the final week was always the tester for one reason or another. His body began to break down, sometimes from falls, and then the mind followed unfortunately. He should have podiumed at least one Giro but his TT let him down . Whether that was partly the pressure who knows but he did TT better in the 2019 Tour as well as climb well.

The 2019 Tour de France really wasn't strong in hindsight. Kruijswijk was 3rd, Buchmann 4th. Thomas might've won if the long run-in towards Tignes hadn't been canceled as Bernal's long-range attack might have fallen dead like towards the Covadonga lakes.

Pinot missed his golden chance to win the Tour de France.

If Gaudu hangs onto Pogacar and Vingegaard in July (which I doubt with all due respect) that's something Pinot never has done. Frankly, Gaudu could win a Giro d'Italia with the right route then.

Everybody brags about the 2020 Giro d'Italia for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Tonton and Red Rick
The 2019 Tour de France really wasn't strong in hindsight. Kruijswijk was 3rd, Buchmann 4th. Thomas might've won if the long run-in towards Tignes hadn't been canceled as Bernal's long-range attack might have fallen dead like towards the Covadonga lakes.

Pinot missed his golden chance to win the Tour de France.

If Gaudu hangs onto Pogacar and Vingegaard in July (which I doubt with all due respect) that's something Pinot never has done. Frankly, Gaudu could win a Giro d'Italia with the right route then.

Everybody brags about the 2020 Giro d'Italia for obvious reasons.
Yeah Pinot was really strong in a year that was really weak.

I still think if Jumbo had gone brought Roglic to that Tour in the form he showed in the Vuelta he would have won it very easily.

TRENDING THREADS