• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

David Zabriskie American TT Champ

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
But Dave cannot seem to translate his ability into wins in the Big Shows. I few years ago I thought DZ was going to make a big spash "across the pond," but he really hasn't done so. Even on his team he's not the TT big dog. Oh well, I congratulate him on the win.

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
No doubt, a 4 year run is great, but only 20 riders in the field, come on?! It's the same for the road race (Less than 100 riders). Is it that way for other country's national championships? I can't remember seeing a true national championship competition on the road that features all of the top riders in a given year. I suppose scheduling it on top of the Vuelta doesn't help either. Either way, another great ride for Z-man and Garmin.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Hammerhed said:
But Dave cannot seem to translate his ability into wins in the Big Shows. I few years ago I thought DZ was going to make a big spash "across the pond," but he really hasn't done so. Even on his team he's not the TT big dog. Oh well, I congratulate him on the win.

not sure about that..........DZ has both TT and road wins at the tour and the vuelta , has worn yellow and won medals at worlds , behind a certain Fabian Cancellara , whom everyone is behind ,

i think that comment would be more appropriate for Tom Dannielson

0to60innever said:
No doubt, a 4 year run is great, but only 20 riders in the field, come on?! It's the same for the road race (Less than 100 riders). Is it that way for other country's national championships? I can't remember seeing a true national championship competition on the road that features all of the top riders in a given year. I suppose scheduling it on top of the Vuelta doesn't help either. Either way, another great ride for Z-man and Garmin.

I've never understood why we don't have our pro natz on the same week that all of Europe does.

Being released to race may not be the only issue. It's probably more down to the inconvenience of the travel.

If you look at the Australian Nationals this year there were some big names missing like Evans, McKewen, O'Grady, Davis and Gerrans. All of these guys had realistic chances of winning the road race but were looking to peak for other races.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
0to60innever said:

I think the Danish Championship ussually has all the top names. Of cause Denmark doesn't have that many top names to start with and almost all of them ride for Team Saxo Bank, which as a Danish team probably values the Championship a lot.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
I've never understood why we don't have our pro natz on the same week that all of Europe does.

It's the week before the TDF and the travel back and forth to US is hard on the body, that is why it isn't done in June. I don't see why they can't do the championship before the Veulta and not during.

TRENDING THREADS