• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

de Fauw testified against QST

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
According to Belgian Politician Jean-Marie Dedecker, de Fauw made depositions and revealed (structural) doping practices at QST. After that, it is said, he was ejected from the world of professional cycling.

Between 2003-2005 he rode 1.5 years for QST. DeDecker claims to have tapes on which de Fauw explains doping practices at QST.

Hij heeft mij verteld dat er IGF gespoten werd, dat er kleine dosissen epo gespoten werden

He told me that IFG and small doses of EPO were administered

He also talked about XTC and cocaine use within the squad. Dedecker contemplates releasing the tapes. These depostions are said to have been used by HLN when they accused Lefevre oin 2007 of doping. HLN lost that case..

Source wielernieuws

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
According to Belgian Politician Jean-Marie Dedecker, de Fauw made depositions and revealed (structural) doping practices at QST. After that, it is said, he was ejected from the world of professional cycling.

Between 2003-2005 he rode 1.5 years for QST. DeDecker claims to have tapes on which de Fauw explains doping practices at QST.

He also talked about XTC and cocaine use within the squad. Dedecker contemplates releasing the tapes. These depostions are said to have been used by HLN when they accused Lefevre oin 2007 of doping. HLN lost that case..

Source wielernieuws

Might shed some light on Boonen's behavior. Does this have any real chance of being revealed?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Your cheating heart....

This whole OBSESSION with cycle-doping and the so called "OMERTA" has become even MORE unhealthy than the doping itself. There, I said it.

Forums like "The Clinic" only add to the hysteria.

Geez, it is not like these guys are cheating on their spouses for crying out loud. Now THAT would be worse.

I gained some respect for Bjarne Riis when I read years ago that he told his wife and kids he was doping while he was doping. Did not try to hide it.

That OPENNESS is very healthy.

Polish said:
This whole OBSESSION with cycle-doping and the so called "OMERTA" has become even MORE unhealthy than the doping itself. There, I said it.

Geez, it is not like these guys are cheating on their spouses for crying out loud. Now THAT would be worse.

I gained some respect for Bjarne Riis when I read years ago that he told his wife and kids he was doping while he was doping. Did not try to hide it.

Great. What are you posting here for then? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Polish said:

Yes, de Fauw died because he didn't like people making up stories of an "Omerta".

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Yeah, and it's a really valid comparison coming as they do from two similarly sized subject groups.

A death is a death, Hugh.

A doper dying in his sleep or a junkie dying in the gutter or a cancer patient passing on.

Cycle doping deaths are not particularly significant.
Actually pretty insignificant.

Polish said:

A doper dying in his sleep or a junkie dying in the gutter or a cancer patient passing on.

We prosecute drug dealers. We prosecute/try to help junkies (depending on where you live). In many places there are laws limiting smoking. We also spend billions on curing cancer. So we take drug abuse and cancer quite seriously, just like we take doping seriously.

Nonsense. The significance of a death depends on many factors. We care more about a young person dying than an old person. We feel more strongly about large events than many small events (a air crash with 100 casualties gets more attention than the 40,000 traffic deaths every year). We have stronger feelings if we feel that the death could have been prevented. Etc.

As cycling fans, we feel much more strongly about cycling deaths than mountain climbing deaths. Many of use don't want to cheer on riders that are cheating and destroying their bodies.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:

If doping deaths are insignificant,
And a death is just like any other death,
And people experience death via cancer,
Then cancer deaths are insignificant.

So why'd you bring up cancer deaths?

May 26, 2009
Visit site
filipo said:

Terms of his contract :D

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
filipo said:

An individual cycle-doping death is significant.
Cycle doping deaths, plural, are insignificant.
Down there with deaths by deer attack.

But an individual cancer death and cancer deaths as a group are both very significant.

I brought up "10 minutes" of cancer deaths being more numerous than "all historical doping deaths" to put things in perspective.

If someone wants to "save young lives", their efforts would be beter spent manning a suicide prevention hotline (1000 deaths since yesterday) or bicycle safety lobbying - instead of preaching anti-doping in cycling (which may actually scare a youngster away from the relative safety of a bicycling pro-contract and into a much more dangerous profession like chimney sweeping).

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
An individual cycle-doping death is significant.
Cycle doping deaths, plural, are insignificant.
Down there with deaths by deer attack.

But an individual cancer death and cancer deaths as a group are both very significant.

I brought up "10 minutes" of cancer deaths being more numerous than "all historical doping deaths" to put things in perspective.

If someone wants to "save young lives", their efforts would be beter spent manning a suicide prevention hotline (1000 deaths since yesterday) or bicycle safety lobbying - instead of preaching anti-doping in cycling (which may actually scare a youngster away from the relative safety of a bicycling pro-contract and into a much more dangerous profession like chimney sweeping).

So you're changing the terms of your argument after you've already made it. I see.

Just a followup, if I may, professor: Why is a single cancer death more "significant" than the group of doping deaths? What makes one death significant and not another?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
but if a party or institution can be held accountable, and work on the health and safety of the sport, certainly this agenda should be pursued eh Polish? Or is it a received truth. It is too complicated, and doping will always exist.

The UCI has alot to answer for, and all riders who involved themselves are someway complicit on the most marginal level. I dont see why the omerta and the peer pressure cannot be inverted. Groupthink can work both ways yeah? And the management of the teams are the gatekeepers. And the management know what their riders are capable of.

Cofidis can call Chavanel the machine in training camp as he rips everyones legs off, and then be content with his mediocre performances in the Ardennes monuments and the Tour, knowing what his competitors are on, then they can understand what is happening when he jumps to QS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the majority of those cycling deaths occur prior to the introduction of systemic doping programs that were administered by doctors?

For those who worry about doping-related deaths, why decry programs overseen by medically trained professionals?

Also, I agree the UCI has been complicit all along. But who do they have to answer to -- the thousands of folks who line the route of PR or LBL?
Everyone knows and it seems to me that few care, least of whom the riders themselves.

Sure, groupthink can occur in reverse. But aside from the career-ending obstacles already in place for those who fess up, who here believes anyone will lead the charge saying, "Take my drugs away! I wanna suffer like a dog for the sake of authenticity!"

I mean, c'mon. Ain't gonna happen.

blackcat said:
Cofidis can call Chavanel the machine in training camp as he rips everyones legs off, and then be content with his mediocre performances in the Ardennes monuments and the Tour, knowing what his competitors are on, then they can understand what is happening when he jumps to QS.

Have Chavanel's performances really been that much better this year than last?

TRENDING THREADS