• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

De Scheldeprijs

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He showed up allright, but 3 minutes behind Cancellara, in and he only showed up because that group had no podium to fight for anymore, Gilbert and Leukemans were long gone as well. So Farrar could return from the 3rd group.

You really should see things in the right perspective. Like you said, only a lucky long break could see Farrar go far in Roubaix. There is no way in hell he will be able to follow Boonen, Cancellara or even Pozzato, Flecha on the cobble sectors

A

Anonymous

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He showed up allright, but 3 minutes behind Cancellara, in and he only showed up because that group had no podium to fight for anymore, Gilbert and Leukemans were long gone as well. So Farrar could return from the 3rd group.

You really should see things in the right perspective. Like you said, only a lucky long break could see Farrar go far in Roubaix. There is no way in hell he will be able to follow Boonen, Cancellara or even Pozzato, Flecha on the cobble sectors

As to his 3 minutes to Spartacus, I will submit that of the non winners, his ride was the most impressive as those in front of him have proven their worth in RVV before, and those in his group couldn't match his sprint. Not bad for someone I bet none of you thought would be there to contest that sprint either. In fact, I am willing to bet that last week at this time, many of you would have written very similar things in regards to his placing last Sunday.

It remains to be seen whether he can follow them, though I do suspect you are right. I don't however doubt that he is in the form of his life right now, and that as much as people relegate him to a nobody, his spring has been more impressive than most.

One factor in Flanders is that he did crash. How much this affected him in terms of having to chase and then try to get a good position, i dont know. For what its worth he said he was ready to quit after falling for a second time.

http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2010/04/04/race-report-tour-of-flanders

I generally agree with the sentiments above. Its difficult to think he will be able to match say the top 5. After that, i would have thought he could make a 6-10 place but probably only if a sizeable group comes in together. I'll make a slightly odd prediction and say that he will win the sprint of the group that the person placed 18th is in.:) (assuming that he doesnt have to do a lot of domestique duties)

Nobody says anything here about his sprint TFF. You just overrate the fact that he is there. He is there, because the others didn't have anything to remain riding hard for after Leukemans and Gilbert where out of reach.

What happens is that the tempo drops, and the 3rd group returned. He wasn't part of the 20 strongest in the race.
You seem to fail and understand the point I'm making.

Roubaix is not a race where the tempo drops and groups return.

A

Anonymous

And let me be clear. I expect Spartacus will will ride everyone off his wheel when he damn well pleases on Sunday. I am just saying that Farrar is more of a contender than I would have suspected at the beginning of the season, and that his placing last Sunday was impressive based on what I am sure most people (including ALL of you who are minimizing his placing) would have thought.

Without the hills, I think Farrar is capable of finishing between place 10 and 30.

With a bit of luck he might get a top 10 placing which would be huge in my opinion.
Maybe our views are not as different as I thought.
And his 5th place in Flanders was not so suprising to me. I already had him down for top 25 after Omloop het Volk. It often happens the group for 5th/6th place and further is big. Same happened last year but than even for 2nd place (Haussler/Gilbert etc)

A

Anonymous

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Nobody says anything here about his sprint TFF. You just overrate the fact that he is there. He is there, because the others didn't have anything to remain riding hard for after Leukemans and Gilbert where out of reach.

What happens is that the tempo drops, and the 3rd group returned. He wasn't part of the 20 strongest in the race.
You seem to fail and understand the point I'm making.

Roubaix is not a race where the tempo drops and groups return.

No, I completely understand what you are saying. What I believe you are missing is the difficulty he has with hills like the ones in RVV, and the fact that this year, they were not enough to keep him from returning. I am willing to bet that you would not have given him any chance to do what he did were you asked about it last week, yet now you want to minimize something you would have given him no shot to do only a week ago. I think it is you who needs to examine your points.

Also note that P-R is different in character in terms of why people are dropped. It is the difficulty of the beating you take on the cobbles in P-R. In RVV, it is the cobbles AND the STEEPNESS of the hills. Now, the cobbles in P-R are more difficult, but there will not be any hills to drop a sprinter off, and if it is dry, the likelihood of a sprinter being there at the end is increased. Thor and Magnus and even Boonen had to have a break-through ride before they were considered a threat. Is it really that illogical to think Farrar has a shot at a break-through ride (even if he doesn't win) considering his current form? I just don't think so.

A

Anonymous

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Without the hills, I think Farrar is capable of finishing between place 10 and 30.

With a bit of luck he might get a top 10 placing which would be huge in my opinion.
Maybe our views are not as different as I thought.
And his 5th place in Flanders was not so suprising to me. I already had him down for top 25 after Omloop het Volk. It often happens the group for 5th/6th place and further is big. Same happened last year but than even for 2nd place (Haussler/Gilbert etc)

Which to me would be HUGE for him, and something I would consider a break through.

A

Anonymous

And obviously I am a fan of Farrar. I have always rooted for the underdog in any sport, and he seems like a nice guy who tries very hard and maximizes his abilities even though they are obviously not as naturally strong as many of the people he competes against. I don't think he will turn into a Cav in sprints or a Boonen in classics. I do think he will contest races in the future that many would not thought possible for him.

Bad news. I posted this:

Farrar might do well in roubaix, next year, I think.

in december. Which means he's jinxed and will fail miserably, judging from my record of predictions. I'm the Anti-Ak-Zaaf.

Thoughtforfood said:
Now, the cobbles in P-R are more difficult, but there will not be any hills to drop a sprinter off, and if it is dry, the likelihood of a sprinter being there at the end is increased. Thor and Magnus and even Boonen had to have a break-through ride before they were considered a threat. Is it really that illogical to think Farrar has a shot at a break-through ride (even if he doesn't win) considering his current form? I just don't think so.

To balance it out, I'm not really a big Farrar fan, but I agree with everything TFF has said. It would be foolish to discount his chances. Before last year, had anyone really rated Hushovd's chances highly? And it's not like he hasn't ridden the cobbles. He's been based in Belgium for quite some time now.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
And let me be clear. I expect Spartacus will will ride everyone off his wheel when he damn well pleases on Sunday. I am just saying that Farrar is more of a contender than I would have suspected at the beginning of the season, and that his placing last Sunday was impressive based on what I am sure most people (including ALL of you who are minimizing his placing) would have thought.

Thanks for the correct analysis. I raced with him from junior to pro and he was always a smooth rider; not the type you'd tag to handle the rough roads. He likes them, though and has always gravitated to that abuse. He's getting better at positioning each year but lacks the kind of power of Boonen and the Swiss dude, among others. I am a supporter and hope he does well.

jaylew said:
To balance it out, I'm not really a big Farrar fan, but I agree with everything TFF has said. It would be foolish to discount his chances. Before last year, had anyone really rated Hushovd's chances highly? And it's not like he hasn't ridden the cobbles. He's been based in Belgium for quite some time now.

Yes, I've expected Hushovd to do well in PR since 1998 or 99 when he won the U-23 version. The potential has always been there but when he was on Credit Agricole there was really no chance for him because he was basically alone from the first cobbled section. He's done some fairly decent results finishing 9th and 17th and also finishing the race a few other times despite that.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
glennnyc said:
was he wearing a different make of shoe on each foot?

It looks like he was using one black and one white Sidi.

pic.php

@TDW

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Thanks for the correct analysis. I raced with him from junior to pro and he was always a smooth rider; not the type you'd tag to handle the rough roads. He likes them, though and has always gravitated to that abuse. He's getting better at positioning each year but lacks the kind of power of Boonen and the Swiss dude, among others. I am a supporter and hope he does well.

I think highly of Farrar: as a sprinter, I think he's currently in the top 3 and I like the fact that he speaks Dutch.

When someone is truly in form, it doesn't matter that much if his talent lies on the cobbled sections. Ofcourse, Ricco and the likes are never going to win P-R, but Farrar is clearly in winning form, regardless of the exact type of race. I wouldn't pick him for sunday though because he'll have trouble making it in the right group. But he is going to win the sprint of the group he is in.