• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dede Barry

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I can understand Freddy's anger. There is a feeling of absolute insincerity about Barry's "confession", which is made even worse by the fact that he built his image as a sort of organic/pure kind of rider. Add to that the USPS bus fiction and the Floyd bashing and the "I stopped doping in 2006" BS line, he deserves to be hung out to dry. That he talks about seamlessly transforming himself into some sort of anti-doping advocate is too much.

Start by telling the truth, the whole dirty truth, then we can start the healing process. Until then, go hide in a hole.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
frenchfry said:
I can understand Freddy's anger. There is a feeling of absolute insincerity about Barry's "confession", which is made even worse by the fact that he built his image as a sort of organic/pure kind of rider. Add to that the USPS bus fiction and the Floyd bashing and the "I stopped doping in 2006" BS line, he deserves to be hung out to dry. That he talks about seamlessly transforming himself into some sort of anti-doping advocate is too much.

Start by telling the truth, the whole dirty truth, then we can start the healing process. Until then, go hide in a hole.

Lots of pi55ed people here in Canada about this guy. He is not even returning phone calls from the cycling media, to whom he lied for years about clean bla bla.....and now claims to be the spokesperson for clean sport in schools etc.

The most offensive part of his and others' confessions, is how they all magically found God around the same time.

Head of the CCA wants his carding money back, and if there was any sincerity in Barry's atonement, he would give back the money. Let's see how that goes......

No upside - where have I heard that before ?

Master50 said:
Answer this question. how many drug test shall we not do this year to prosecute this case? ......... there is no upside here and the case is so thin that a successful prosecution is wholly unlikely. An unsuccessful prosecution would also increase the reluctance to prosecute cases they do have a good case on too.

During the Federal investigation the forums were full of fanboys telling their politicians to stop wasting good money. It translated to "I am a sucker, I know I am a sucker but if I can stir up ***, I will not be revealed as a sucker and I can tell all my mates that my dream is better than their reality - see - it is proved and they don't take the pi55 out of me for prancing around in US Postal gear and wearing that yellow wristband! (I will never be able to look them in the eye again.) So please save me."

Regardless of that pantomime - you express a total failure to understand how society works. It is more cost effective for the state to buy replacement goods for all the stores that have tins of beans stolen, rather than prosecuting the kids over the theft. We spend a fortune in the UK on Abu Hanza's legal defence against the state prosecuting him ? I am not going to waste any time spelling it out. If you don't get why it works like this, and has to work like this, you have found yourself in a a very strange place.

Hubby has found Jesus and is beating his chest and wants to lead the little ones to the promised land, as only one who has sinned and has now found the right, light, way, can. Praise be the Lord !

It is not a massive expense - USADA already have hubby, who undoubtedly passed epo onto Dede. Reconvene a panel to hear some answers to new questions. Let's see how he gets on with his halo above his head. He can either publicly lie, in which case his "Jesus" is dead (and so is his future career as child educator) or Dede takes up his religion. Dede is only likely to be convicted by words from their mouths.

At the moment the pair are as much a sham as the day they shouted their mouths off about how awful Floyd was. Saint Barry is the excuse for the fanboys to look in the mirror and not be ashamed. ( We have had it for years in the UK with Saint David of St Moritz. )

Fortyninefourteen said:
Lots of pi55ed people here in Canada about this guy. He is not even returning phone calls from the cycling media, to whom he lied for years about clean bla bla.....and now claims to be the spokesperson for clean sport in schools etc.

The most offensive part of his and others' confessions, is how they all magically found God around the same time.

Head of the CCA wants his carding money back, and if there was any sincerity in Barry's atonement, he would give back the money. Let's see how that goes......

Glad to hear it. Carding money is modest, but there is value in the appearance of the funding recovery.

The CCA has been embarrassing with its public comments on the whole affair, however.

Here was the official CCA press release on the release of the USADA Reasoned Decision:

"John Tolkamp, President of the Cycling Canada reacted to the news: "The sport of road cycling has come a long way in the last five to seven years to clean-up the sport....today we can witness that the culture of the sport of road cycling is rapidly changing towards a clean sport."

Classic Ostrich.

And then this:

“Michael was the quintessential Canadian: loyal, selfless, hard working, understated,” Canadian Cycling Association president John Tolkamp said after Barry’s retirement announcement.

Like many, Tolkamp was shocked and saddened with what he learned from Barry’s testimony.

That is completely embarrassing.

What is the quintessential Canadian? Apparently it is a self-admitted doper.

Don't expect any change leadership on doping in this country.

Dave.

Master50 said:
Is there any point where you just move foreword?

Pat and Hein keep trying to sell the "move on" for the last 20 years and it's gotten us doping deaths, Conconi/Ferarri/scumbag lab geniuses, Festina, Willy Voet, Armstrong's scumbag crew at Tailwind/USA Cycling.

"forward" in this environment is the Sky 2012 doping/race fixing.

Why do you insist on pretending?

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Glad to hear it. Carding money is modest, but there is value in the appearance of the funding recovery.

The CCA has been embarrassing with its public comments on the whole affair, however.

Here was the official CCA press release on the release of the USADA Reasoned Decision:

"John Tolkamp, President of the Cycling Canada reacted to the news: "The sport of road cycling has come a long way in the last five to seven years to clean-up the sport....today we can witness that the culture of the sport of road cycling is rapidly changing towards a clean sport."

Classic Ostrich.

And then this:

“Michael was the quintessential Canadian: loyal, selfless, hard working, understated,” Canadian Cycling Association president John Tolkamp said after Barry’s retirement announcement.

Like many, Tolkamp was shocked and saddened with what he learned from Barry’s testimony.

That is completely embarrassing.

What is the quintessential Canadian? Apparently it is a self-admitted doper.

Don't expect any change leadership on doping in this country.

Dave.

I am not quite that negative.

The Quebec federation has historically come down very hard on riders who either have tested + or even suspicious riders.

They threw Jeanson under the bus hard when she missed doping controls....no license from Canada. She had to get a US license. She was hounded by the local media until she cracked. I was in Hamilton when her hematocrit test came back @ 56 or 57. Standard operating procedure.Press conference, denial, hypoxic tent the culprit.....while other Canadian girls all knew what was up.

The 2 guys currently running the performance side of the CCA walked away from Europe mostly because of the dope culture.

CCA needs funding badly and could not afford to be tolerant to dopers.

I hope I am right.

Fortyninefourteen said:

The Quebec federation has historically come down very hard on riders who either have tested + or even suspicious riders.

I hope I am right.

I can't recall which federation did what in Canada, but what about the elite Louis Garneau amateurs who were busted for EPO use? The usual "isolated incident" response from the federation and then total silence.

Which, I don't believe. Someone, maybe more than one is a source for EPO in a small summer athletics scene and that topic was never discussed.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
I can't recall which federation did what in Canada, but what about the elite Louis Garneau amateurs who were busted for EPO use? The usual "isolated incident" response from the federation and then total silence.

Which, I don't believe. Someone, maybe more than one is a source for EPO in a small summer athletics scene and that topic was never discussed.

Actually, a lot was done on that case and I am not trying to be defensive or argumentative. The head of the Quebec federation has some big balls when it comes to dopers.

When the federation and the team, Garneau himself, pushed to find the source, the riders refused to give it up citing that they 'would have their legs broken' or worse....I have no trouble believing that if a gym pusher was ratted out, things would not go well for the snitch. This has got to be a huge business for someone who can get supply.

It turns out that the EPO and whatever other stuff that is floating around is the domain of the 'recreational and athletic products' division of the local drug trade controlled by the underworld. (bikers, mob, ....for real) Not the same kind of people in Europe supplying the athletes.

There were a number of master's racers who also rang the bell for EPO. The older guys with dough get it straight from their own doctors, so nothing to find there.

It is a tough one to chase but it is high on the radar for the local federations and their efforts may be inadequate, but they are sincere.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Pat and Hein keep trying to sell the "move on" for the last 20 years and it's gotten us doping deaths, Conconi/Ferarri/scumbag lab geniuses, Festina, Willy Voet, Armstrong's scumbag crew at Tailwind/USA Cycling.

"forward" in this environment is the Sky 2012 doping/race fixing.

Why do you insist on pretending?

It is a valid question. but several of the examples you give are embroiled with current cases. Plus if my economic justification is a model then these may fit the return on prosecution vs cost. It may be offensive to make it a cost factor but the general return to society against the cost to prosecute is a daily factor in criminal cases where often real physical harm to another is shown.

As for the Barry's Michael has been given a judgement which he and the CCC has seemed to accept.

Dede is long retired and is accused of past doping offences for which little if any evidence exists? Is she named in a widespread conspiracy (other than being a pro rider) that would reveal a pattern of intimidation and actions to prevent detection of her offence beyond the statute of limitations? No? Then move on, This one is a waste of money and a lot of other resources that cost money too.

This is not a moral position it is simply pragmatic. In a combat hospital we do not give the medical team unlimited resources to save every soldiers life. No one will dispute that every soldier deserves every resource to save his life if wounded but we know there are limits.

If we cannot apply unlimited resources to root out every past case and follow every snake trail or we will never race our bikes. Then there is all the sports too.

Master50 said:
Plus if my economic justification is a model then these may fit the return on prosecution vs cost. It may be offensive to make it a cost factor but the general return to society against the cost to prosecute is a daily factor in criminal cases where often real physical harm to another is shown.

That's a fundamentally broken rationale.

Lots of things can be justified economically. Here's some designed to shock the reader:
-slavery
-child prostitution
-private armies e.g. mercenaries of all ages, "terrorists"
-unregulated opiates sales

Using economic justification as the benchmark, let's just admit Pro cycling is entertainment wresting and be done. The DS's can work out some dramatic endings including some great acting after crossing the line. That's where the sport is going using wealth generation as the rule.

In order for viewers to have some confidence there is really a game in motion while racing, someone has to defend that perception. Pat and Hein certainly are not. They are using your tactic of "moving on" to great effect already.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Fortyninefourteen said:

I too am ****ed off. I rode against Barry when he was young and to be fair he was impressive even being 6 yrs younger. A few of us cheered him on at the 1996 Altanta games with Bauer, Walton and Wohlberg present. Barry was very shy and timid back then.

Watching him charge up the Hamilton Escarpment in 2003...'not normal' for Mike for sure. A few years ago I sent a couple of emails to him, one complimentary and the other asking him book Le Metrier...then his denial Re: Landis and then the confessional. Brutal morality for sure. After his confessional I reached out to him to confess all and share with WADA and the Canadian branch about his doping. Nothing. His plan to be apart of the solution and talk to aspiring cyclist is not what Canadian cycling needs frankly. Maybe he could write some cycling fiction?

He is no longer a cyclist, writer or person to look up to or hold in good stead. He and his wife are now another sad example of malevolant sports ethics. His recent mug on the cover of Canadian Cyclist has left me we mixed feelings too. *** put Walton or Wohlbeg on the cover.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Master50 was talking about USADA - Dede Barry, not Michael.

Ok, if this is their stance - then I guess the logical answer is zero.
As there will be no money diverted from testing to pursue a case, as it does not exist.

Fortyninefourteen said:

They threw Jeanson under the bus hard when she missed doping controls....no license from Canada. She had to get a US license. She was hounded by the local media until she cracked. I was in Hamilton when her hematocrit test came back @ 56 or 57. Standard operating procedure.Press conference, denial, hypoxic tent the culprit.....while other Canadian girls all knew what was up.

The 2 guys currently running the performance side of the CCA walked away from Europe mostly because of the dope culture.

CCA needs funding badly and could not afford to be tolerant to dopers.

I hope I am right.

I think it is actually the other way around. And it is the other way around exactly because of the money. The CCA appears to be scared sh!tless about the doping culture and revealing its existence.

Honesty on doping threatens the money.

Moreover, if the IOC were to suspend or ban cycling in the Olympics, the CCA's money would dry up completely. Honest dialog on doping is the CCA's worst nightmare.

They are motivated to pretend doping doesn't exist. And, unlike the Quebec federation, they are doing a good job of pretending.

Genevieve Jeansen is a great example. Quebec refused to license her, but the CCA had no problem encouraging her participation at Nationals. If I were in those races (right after the sex change, of course), I would be pretty po'd.

I cannot believe that the guys at the CCA are stupid.

There have been some really obvious, and very well known and oft-discussed dopers in Canada - and they are still riding.

Dave.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Neworld said:
Watching him charge up the Hamilton Escarpment in 2003...'not normal' for Mike for sure.

I was there that day, directly downhill from the summit. It was thrilling to see him attack his group of A+ riders while the crowd when crazy......but it was clear to me that was not real

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
I was there that day, directly downhill from the summit. It was thrilling to see him attack his group of A+ riders while the crowd when crazy......but it was clear to me that was not real

Sorry I know this is supposed to be about DD...I just want to clarify one point. I have been accused of disliking a rider just because he is an ****. Here is a Canadian, who is actually a nice guy, but I still dislike him. Mike is a very sophisticated person, who wears his amiable cloak and organic nature so well that you might actually believe he was clean. I did, until that day of the WC in Hammertown.

Someone should contact Bauer about Mike, they knew each other 'very' well.

Neworld said:
Sorry I know this is supposed to be about DD...I just want to clarify one point. I have been accused of disliking a rider just because he is an ****. Here is a Canadian, who is actually a nice guy, but I still dislike him. Mike is a very sophisticated person, who wears his amiable cloak and organic nature so well that you might actually believe he was clean. I did, until that day of the WC in Hammertown.

Someone should contact Bauer about Mike, they knew each other 'very' well.

Until Barry's disingenuous confession, mere mention in Toronto that he couldn't have ridden clean was met with death stares.
To this day, Bauer is regarded as a squeaky clean rider, despite the fact he backed Armstrong till the bitter end.
I don't get the need to hang on to notions that riders from Canada don't dope.
Reminds me of the Ben Johnson affair. He was a Canadian until he got caught. Then he was from Jamaica.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
the delgados said:

The people who believe Canadians don't dope clearly didn't do any racing in Canada.

The Mike Barry admission really bugs me. The Floyd Landis comments, the no doping after 2006, the "no choice", the "it didn't make me feel good" ...

Just makes me sick.

the delgados said:
Until Barry's disingenuous confession, mere mention in Toronto that he couldn't have ridden clean was met with death stares.
To this day, Bauer is regarded as a squeaky clean rider, despite the fact he backed Armstrong till the bitter end.
Reminds me of the Ben Johnson affair. He was a Canadian until he got caught. Then he was from Jamaica.

His Hammerton performance only lacked the circus tent.

Here is a guy that never even make his own team's TdF squad (well known as full blown dopers even at that time) as a Domestique.

Right.

compete_clean said:
The people who believe Canadians don't dope clearly didn't do any racing in Canada.

The Mike Barry admission really bugs me. The Floyd Landis comments, the no doping after 2006, the "no choice", the "it didn't make me feel good" ...

Just makes me sick.

Exactly.

They must think Canadians are just basically stupid.

And, of course, there was more than one Canadian that rode with Lance.

One Canadian teammate has provided a 'stock admission'. Another ex-teammate who is/was a Canadian resident was already banned for life.

Any other Canadians ride with Doper boy?

Nah, we must have exposed all the dopers. :mad:

Dave.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
His Hammerton performance only lacked the circus tent.

Here is a guy that never even make his own team's TdF squad (well known as full blown dopers even at that time) as a Domestique.

Any other Canadians ride with Doper boy?

Nah, we must have exposed all the dopers. :mad:

Dave.

Agreed. In the recent past and currently every Canadian rider, all riders, are on the potential doping list.

As for Bauer I am sure he knew of Lancey, and probably just stayed close enough to be his friend but far enough away to stay clear of his sordid path. But at the end of Steve's career he basically faded away without wins. In fact he was on a CBC program that basically catalogued his near depression in cycling due to the fact he could not 'regain' his winning form. I wonder if Lemond can shed some light on Bauer.

I have only heard that he was not a user. Has anyone heard otherwise?

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Neworld said:
Agreed. In the recent past and currently every Canadian rider, all riders, are on the potential doping list.

As for Bauer I am sure he knew of Lancey, and probably just stayed close enough to be his friend but far enough away to stay clear of his sordid path. But at the end of Steve's career he basically faded away without wins. In fact he was on a CBC program that basically catalogued his near depression in cycling due to the fact he could not 'regain' his winning form. I wonder if Lemond can shed some light on Bauer.

I have only heard that he was not a user. Has anyone heard otherwise?

I am confident that Bauer, Fraser, Landry, all rode clean. Not so sure about the past of one current rider doing quite well at the moment.

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Fortyninefourteen said:
I am confident that Bauer, Fraser, Landry, all rode clean. Not so sure about the past of one current rider doing quite well at the moment.

Ryder and the other early-to-mid 2000s MTB crew are as dirty as the mud they rode in. Roland Green paved the way.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
jam pants said:
Ryder and the other early-to-mid 2000s MTB crew are as dirty as the mud they rode in. Roland Green paved the way.

It is suspected that Ryder 'trains' in Hawaii for similar reasons those who used Fuentes and Ferarri 'trained' in Tenerife.

@D-Queued

Not to veer too far off topic, but I was surprised to see Barry launch himself out of the peloton and foolishly tow the decisive move to the line at the 2003 WC.

But if memory serves, the race (which was won by a domestique) was relatively dull and featured little to no attacking. All someone like Barry had to do was keep his nose out of the wind and wait for one surge on the final hill of the final lap.

TRENDING THREADS