• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Del Moral denies USPS doping

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
alanshearer said:
Seems all part of an orchestrated PR effort. I suspect we'll see a similar story about once a week. Most, like Jonkers and del Moral really won't be saying anything, but their statements will still be dressed up and packaged as if it were something significant. It wouldn't surprise me if every once in a while they bring someone forward who carries more weight.
spot on mister. every word. you should post more often.

the newly hired master of disaster just fed a scrap of pr spin to a media source willing to put an attention-grabbing title to an article essentially lacking any legal value but rich on innuendo. yes, this was the second such salvo, jonker interview being the first.

the design was simple - kill three birds with one del moral stone

(i) us postal never doped says the doc who could never be trusted
(ii)flandis credibility sucks, if not
(iii) contador is a dope not texas

in a way it’s a brilliant design by mark fabiani's staff but it crumbles upon even a cursory examination.

oldman, how do you grade fabiani’s subtlety ?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
python said:
spot on mister. every word. you should post more often.

the newly hired master of disaster just fed a scrap of pr spin to a media source willing to put an attention-grabbing title to an article essentially lacking any legal value but rich on innuendo. yes, this was the second such salvo, jonker interview being the first.

the design was simple - kill three birds with one del moral stone

(i) us postal never doped says the doc who could never be trusted
(ii)flandis credibility sucks, if not
(iii) contador is a dope not texas

in a way it’s a brilliant design by mark fabiani's staff but it crumbles upon even a cursory examination.

oldman, how do you grade fabiani’s subtlety ?

It's so three months ago! Gosh. Hope LA's paying for rerun/residual rates instead of Network prices for this copy....

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
One good reason for them to not rush to call Landis a liar is that they might well be proven to be lying later on. Granted, that's not as bad as being sent to jail, but it's still a situation where they don't have anything to gain from coming out publicly to defend LA. Unless they're already gaining something, that is. *cough* Monetarily *cough*. But I don't know how likely that is, or if it would made any sense as a defensive strategy.

Exactly - if they're not being given something or having something held over them, then they really aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

that name rings a bell ...

Was trying to recall where I'd heard Del Moral's name before ... His name bubbles up in Jesus Manzano's incredible interview with the Madrid sports paper "AS" in the spring of '04 (http://tiny.cc/wo0hs):

Jesus Manzano: "... So then I'm affirming to you that the world of cycling in Spain is completely corrupt. From top to bottom it goes."

AS: "What exactly are you talking about?"

JM: "I want to give you an example, something I've never spoken about except to the police up until now. It concerns one of the four Spanish laboratories credited by the UCI. This laboratory who is in charge of sending the UCI vampires to take the samples during the Vuelta and other races is the same lab that's in charge of the doctor visits to the cyclists. They follow the cyclists and give them the stamp of approval on their licenses.

The owner of this clinic, a renowned hemotologist, called Walter Viru, who is one of the doctors for Kelme to alert them the day before the UCI vampires were coming to take the samples from the cyclist. And he did the same thing with Del Moral, the doctor for the U.S. Postal team and then Discovery, a good friend of his.

AS: "Are you certain about what you're setting forth here?"

JM: "I experienced it in 2002 and 2003 during the Tour de Spain. I gave the police have all the details and the name of the clinic. Even better I remember one time Viru who acquired the Russian epo, wanted to know the purity of it before he used it. And so he gave a vile of it to this clinic and had them confirm it was good. An important detail -- this laboratory is still accredited by the UCI. When I talk about the mafia, I don't use this word lightly."

Good thing McQuaid has righted the ship since then.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Another interesting snippet here: http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=6062#ancre2

It was del Moral who signed the infamous 99 backdated TUE - for a cream not on sale in France and for which USPS had no import licence

Begging the question, why the he!! would he talk to the AP now? If I were him, the last place I'd want to be right now is in the news. Since the article was published, forumites have dug up his "advanced notice of testing" via Manzano and his autograph on LA's TUE. What are the chances investigators and media outlets will do the same now that his name is back on the radar? Methinks he shoulda laid low and STFU.

TRENDING THREADS