• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Delgado speaks: Contador "punishable"-An Old Schooler grows a pair

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Pedro Delgado, the arguable winner of a previous questionable Tour de France speaks out on the damage done and the likelihood of sanction for Contador. It finally looks like the Old School and a Spaniard is admitting the problem is still here and a penalty will be served. What's up?

Oldman said:
Pedro Delgado, the arguable winner of a previous questionable Tour de France speaks out on the damage done and the likelihood of sanction for Contador. It finally looks like the Old School and a Spaniard is admitting the problem is still here and a penalty will be served. What's up?

Finally someone takes the other side here. But, it is interesting given the source.

Delgado: "Contador is going to be punished"

Also interesting to see the statement, "Delgado added that this latest doping case is another "blow for cycling" after "it seemed that it was regenerating after a few good years".

A few good years? Chickens, cobras... and the return of the king ???

Dave.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
When I skimmed over that article, I got the impression he was more resigned to the idea Contador would likely be punished.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, this has nothing to do w/ Perico having a "pair". He merely says Contador is not going to get out of this unscathed. He even goes so far as to say personally doesn't think A.C. Puerto should be punished. Simply that he will be.

A pair, my ahse.

Oldman said:

I hate to always point out the "mistranslation" problem, but here are the facts:
http://www.marca.com/2010/11/11/cic...d15c08dfd1003747cf96c9ba67a2f4b8&t=1289530243

Pedro Delgado, vencedor del Tour de Francia en 1988 y doble ganador de la Vuelta, señaló hoy su sospecha de que "Contador va a ser sancionado", debido a que la mera presencia del clembuterol, sustancia por la que dio positivo en el Tour de Francia y posteriormente sancionado provisionalmente, "es sancionable"

Pedro Delgado, winner of the 1988 TDF & double winner of the Vuelta, highlighted today that "Contador is going to be sanctioned " since the mere presence of Clenbuterol-substance of which he(AC) tested positive in the TDF, and have him provisionally suspended--Is punishable regardless.

El ex ciclista español considera que el devenir del caso es secundario debido al desprestigio a que se ha sometido al pinteño. "Contador ha sufrido un daño que ya es irreparable pase lo que pase. Creo que le van a sancionar. Él se siente optimista pero la presencia del clembuterol es 'sancionable'", señaló Delgado en Marca TV.

The Spanish ex-cyclist considers the development of the case as secondary, due to the highlighted damage suffered to his (AC's) image. "Contador has suffered an irreparable damage no matter what happens next" I'm afraid he's going to be Sanctioned. He-AC-feels optimistic, but just the mere presence of Clenbuterol is enough to be sanctioned"-Delgado remarks

So in conclusion, he's not saying anything extraordinary or scandalous that hasn't been said before:cool:

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
NashbarShorts said:
Agreed, this has nothing to do w/ Perico having a "pair". He merely says Contador is not going to get out of this unscathed. He even goes so far as to say personally doesn't think A.C. Puerto should be punished. Simply that he will be.

A pair, my ahse.

My guess is that being Spanish and being from the Older generation he is going out on a limb from his perspective. Any other Spaniards or Mr. Merckx said anything this definitive? That's why I asked what's up?

Actually I agree he is being lightweight in the global view.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
I sort of thought he was making more of a statement about how AC's image would be forever tarnished. Irreperably.[/QUOTE]

irreparably. Yes and as it should be. The question is: does Perico agree that is a justifiable fate for Alberto?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
That he was hoping for a 6 month suspension and lamenting a loss of tdf title, is a pretty clear indication he doesn't want to agree with what is coming in terms of sanctions.

D-Queued said:
Finally someone takes the other side here. But, it is interesting given the source.

Delgado: "Contador is going to be punished"

Also interesting to see the statement, "Delgado added that this latest doping case is another "blow for cycling" after "it seemed that it was regenerating after a few good years".

A few good years? Chickens, cobras... and the return of the king ???

Dave.

well said & hear hear. I think they're just doing blow through rolled up corporate checks between stages and 'random tests.' Saxo Bank?

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
JMBeaushrimp said:
I sort of thought he was making more of a statement about how AC's image would be forever tarnished. Irreperably.[/QUOTE]

irreparably. Yes and as it should be. The question is: does Perico agree that is a justifiable fate for Alberto?

I think more of a tragically unavoidable fate. His sentiments, not mine...

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
This is the bit that indicates to me that Pedro Delgado's nut are still the same size they always were.

"I would not penalise him, but seeing the how the matter has developed I think that ultimately they will punish him," Delgado continued. "A lesser evil would be a penalty of six months, which would be enough, although it would remove him from the Tour this year."

He is not saying that Contador is guilty at all. All he is talking about is the inevitability of the situation. What else would one expect of a rider who "got away with it" on an administrative technicality?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:

I think he means "the penalty he's already serving" (as in AC's reputation). I did not see any humility in Delgado's statements. Sounds like he's still bitter at being caught for a (then) unbanned substance but still being treated like the cheat he was.

He's not saying AC will rightly serve a penalty, he means "AC is screwed, just like I was"

TRENDING THREADS