• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Delhi Commonweatlh games

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
With the comm games comping up this year i was wondering which riders are actually going to ride that race? Does anyone now about the courses? Also noticed that the velodrome is far from completed...
site_37_rand_1751288882_construction_delhi_310x175.jpg

Any info on anything about cycling in comm games...

A

Anonymous

MG Exclusive: Whinge Whinge from the Poms after the Games

The best thing about the Commonwealth Games is seeing the "British" complain that they are not allowed to combine the strength of their major 3 countries to compete under the flag of Great Britain, but rather they are 'forced' to compete as NATIONAL TEAMS.

You know, Great Britain is not a country, it's comprised of Scotland, England, Wales and a few other minorities like Cav's Isle of Man... (remember William Wallace calling for freedom from the British Empire? - or so Braveheart tells me:D)

They say after the games are over.. "oh golly gosh Geeves, we would have toppled those convict Australians had we been allowed to compete as 3 countries!!... its just such bollocks"

Watch for the Aussies to clean sweep the Medal Tally yet again!!

The British made a mistake sending the more physically capable convicts down under, because by nature of evolution, we are just so much more complete athletes than the poms...

;)

(sorry for the grammar mistakes.. us convicts don't speak english as goodly as most)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
The best thing about the Commonwealth Games is seeing the "British" complain that they are not allowed to combine the strength of their major 3 countries to compete under the flag of Great Britain, but rather they are 'forced' to compete as NATIONAL TEAMS.

You know, Great Britain is not a country, it's comprised of Scotland, England, Wales and a few other minorities like Cav's Isle of Man... (remember William Wallace calling for freedom from the British Empire? - or so Braveheart tells me:D)

They say after the games are over.. "oh golly gosh Geeves, we would have toppled those convict Australians had we been allowed to compete as 3 countries!!... its just such bollocks"

The British made a mistake sending the more physically capable convicts down under, because by nature of evolution, we are just so much more complete athletes than the poms...

;)

Are having poms whinging really an exclusive?

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
We can also look forward to Canada killing us in the cross-country and commentators trying to take lawn bowls seriously.

Is Cavendish going to the Games as the Isle of Mann team or do they have more than one sports-person?

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:

Funnily enough, i've never heard these complaints. Are you sure they exist?

Mountain Goat said:

;)

(sorry for the grammar mistakes.. us convicts don't speak english as goodly as most)

Strange, the only whining I can hear is from chippy colonials. As for the Commonwealth games, anyone who gives a flying **** about them seriously needs a new hobby.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Are having poms whinging really an exclusive?

My exclusives are always so popular ;)

doddy13 said:
Funnily enough, i've never heard these complaints. Are you sure they exist?

Typical ignorant Pom :p (kidding)...

They complained about it during the 2006 Games in Melbourne

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Strange, the only whining I can hear is from chippy colonials. As for the Commonwealth games, anyone who gives a flying **** about them seriously needs a new hobby.

Typical whinging Pom :p (not kidding)

Anyone who takes time to enter an internet forum seriously needs a new hobby.

Thats all of us :D

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:

Funny, thats one of the main reasons for why I like the Commonwealth games. So stop kidding yourself.

Is it more that you dont like it, I think it is, since it will give more British opportunities for victory in every event other than Team Sprint or Team Pursuit

May 15, 2009
Visit site
For the track events:
The Mens sprint events will be an interesting battle between England (Kenny, Crampton) and Scotland (Hoy, Edgar) - with perhaps Awang getting in on the act for Malaysia aswell.

Womens sprint events will be a continuation of Meares v Pendleton, so not too much change from the World Cup or World Championships.

The Mens endurance wont be so interesting, with the majority of the road riders being at the more important World Road Race - so here might be an opportunity for Australia to get a mens cycling medal to pretend theyre still world beaters.

For the road:
Could be a good race, particularly if enough riders make the trip from Melbourne to Delhi. I believe its a fairly flat course, which suits the Brits just fine.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:

;)

Surely we should have Vic, NSW, Tas, SA, Queensland, WA, NT.....and not Australia then??

Sum_of_Marc said:
Funny, thats one of the main reasons for why I like the Commonwealth games. So stop kidding yourself.

Is it more that you dont like it, I think it is, since it will give more British opportunities for victory in every event other than Team Sprint or Team Pursuit

Brits I know definitely prefer it when their state is represented rather than the Union.

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
badboyberty said:
We can also look forward to Canada killing us in the cross-country and commentators trying to take lawn bowls seriously.

Is Cavendish going to the Games as the Isle of Mann team or do they have more than one sports-person?

The Isle of Man (population of less than 80,000) currently has three ProTour professionals - Cav, Jonny Bellis (World under 23 road bronze medallist), and Peter Kennaugh (3rd in 2009 Baby Giro and 4th at the World under 23 road Worlds). It also has three Great Britain Academy riders in Tim Kennaugh, Mark Christian and Chris Whorrall. Quite how many will be able and willing to go to the Commonwealth Games is anybody's guess - I suspect most will have more important stuff to do.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see Wiggins v Thomas at the pursuit.

(I reckon Geraint might turn up to in Delhi and do something)

A

Anonymous

Sum_of_Marc said:

I think you took my post a little bit too seriously there.

I would prefer nations compete as nations, and since you didn't realise, i was talking about the overall medal tally, not cycling.

I'm an aussie. if the brits want to compete as the union, or as the individual nations, then either is fine by me, we will still clean sweep the overall medal tally ;):D

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
"and commentators trying to take lawn bowls seriously" says Badboyberty in a recent post. OK Berty ...please explain ... why SHOULDN"T commentators take lawn bowls seriously? Typical comment from someone who has never played the sport themselves and doesn't have the faintest idea of how much SKILL is involved in playing bowls at any level let alone Commonwealth games level. I bet if SNOOKER was a Comm Games sport Berty would not be making such a sneering comment about that sport. Yet there is just as much skill involved.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Ranndy Stone said:
"and commentators trying to take lawn bowls seriously" says Badboyberty in a recent post. OK Berty ...please explain ... why SHOULDN"T commentators take lawn bowls seriously? Typical comment from someone who has never played the sport themselves and doesn't have the faintest idea of how much SKILL is involved in playing bowls at any level let alone Commonwealth games level. I bet if SNOOKER was a Comm Games sport Berty would not be making such a sneering comment about that sport. Yet there is just as much skill involved.

Ummm, are you serious?

If snooker/darts/8 ball/foxy boxing made it into the Com Games I would be the first to make sneering comments, and Im sure Berty would be doing the same.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
Ummm, are you serious?

If snooker/darts/8 ball/foxy boxing made it into the Com Games I would be the first to make sneering comments, and Im sure Berty would be doing the same.

whoa! isn't that a bit harsh? I for one think foxy boxing is a tough sport, with grueling hours of training... I mean, they let beach volleyball in the Summer Olympics, why not foxy boxing for the Comms?

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Ranndy Stone said:

Two points for the record:

ONE: I find the COMMENTATORS' attempts at taking Lawn Bowls funny, not the people playing the game, just the guys trying to talk it up for a TV audience.

TWO: I've publicly argued against golf being included in the Olympics, so what makes you think I'd give a rats about snooker? Or are you just baiting me to see if I'll make some derisory comment about athletically challenged men playing with their balls in smoke filled pubs?

Take a cuppa' tea and relax. Lawn bowls might be an enjoyable and challenging game, but I'm never going to feel obliged to take it seriously as a spectator sport. From my biased point of view, if you've never been on the ground bleeding, rolled in a ball cramping or been rushed off to hospital due to dehydration, after finishing a round of whatever sport it is you do, it's not a real sport.

TRENDING THREADS