Denis Galimzyanov provisionally suspended

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 22, 2011
2,843
1
0
Zam_Olyas said:
The B sample has not been tested He could still be cleared.
Maybe he was taking some Russian over-the counter supplement that just happened to contain EPO.
 
Sep 19, 2009
807
0
0
Fetisoff said:
Maybe he was taking some Russian over-the counter supplement that just happened to contain EPO.
Or maybe Russian farmers secretly inject their cows with EPO
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,856
0
0
hrotha said:
It doesn't get much shadier than Katusha these days.

Are you serious?
how are they any different from any other team?

And apologies to David Millar. He is no different than the wealth of riders at the pointy end, to make him an example as singularity, is a facile error. Was wrong.
 
Apr 8, 2010
1,257
0
0
Nilsson said:
You'd expect a guy like Galimzyanov to be able to use EPO quite safely, since he's almost certainly not tested very often...
Do you have any info on how often Galimzyanov is tested?
 
Zam_Olyas said:
So do we question oscarito's ride yesterday?
We can question anyone, but imo Freire doing this isn't anything out of the ordinary. He just didn't make these attacks for a long time anymore since he relied on this sprint.
After 10 times failing the sprint up the Cauberg he knows he shouldn't rely on his sprint there so he goes.

Sure he probably uses something like every other rider in the peloton. Except for all the Raboriders... looking at their results they must be the only clean team nowadays :D ... oh and Ag2r ;)
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
0
0
For me there are 2 important moments here - a young rider got busted and the role of the team if any...

the former puts in doubt what many believed attitude change in the peloton and the latter brings up all the fog surrounding holtzer's past, his rotten reputation with the uci and the untrustworthy pupils of bruyneel dope school like ekimov.

Curiously, the tartar's suspension will likely clear a spot on the overstaffed (per the uci rules) team for acquired kolobnev
 
Jan 10, 2012
452
0
0
Magnus said:
Do you have any info on how often Galimzyanov is tested?
No, don't have any specifics on him. Nevertheless, other than having extra OOC's because of a suspicious passport, I don't expect him to be tested very often. He does win a couple of races, but I don't expect him to be high profile (other than because of passport-reasons) for the big races (for example, in the pre-TDF testing, where he did race last year)...
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,856
0
0
python said:
For me there are 2 important moments here - a young rider got busted and the role of the team if any...

the former puts in doubt what many believed attitude change in the peloton and the latter brings up all the fog surrounding holtzer's past, his rotten reputation with the uci and the untrustworthy pupils of bruyneel dope school like ekimov.

Curiously, the tartar's suspension will likely clear a spot on the overstaffed (per the uci rules) team for acquired kolobnev
also Python. He tested postive. This is how it is reported.

Not non-negative.

Everyone rails in on the russians. I think this is bigotry pure and simple. I wait til max sciandri gets caught with Cav's blood. Or some Australians. I will have a laugh then. Cos the anglophones dont dope, we know that.
 
blackcat said:
Everyone rails in on the russians. I think this is bigotry pure and simple. I wait til max sciandri gets caught with Cav's blood. Or some Australians. I will have a laugh then. Cos the anglophones dont dope, we know that.
I love Russia, Russian literature, and Russian culture. However, Russian society is at the moment one in which cheating is condoned and indeed practiced by people at the highest levels of government and business. It is thus perhaps not surprising that cheating is also apparently widely practiced by Russian athletes and teams. One need only consider, for example, the top Russian middle-distance runners suspended before the 2008 Olympics and the many Russian winter sports athletes suspended before the 2010 Olympics.

In how many countries is doping considered such a systematic problem that the head of state becomes involved?

"But IOC President Jacques Rogge said on February 8 that he raised concerns directly with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and the Russian sports minister because of 11 winter sports doping cases involving Russian athletes during the past year."

http://www.rferl.org/content/On_Eve_Of_Winter_Olympics_30_Athletes_Banned_For_Doping/1956201.html

Also consider the following:

"The number of suspensions, and the varied events involved, raised troubling questions about possible ineptitude or corruption in Russian drug-testing procedures and also prompted concerns about whether a deliberate, systematic attempt was made by coaches or officials to undermine drug-testing protocols."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/01/sports/01iht-01doping.14929871.html
 
shalgo said:
I love Russia, Russian literature, and Russian culture. However, Russian society is at the moment one in which cheating is condoned and indeed practiced by people at the highest levels of government and business. It is thus perhaps not surprising that cheating is also apparently widely practiced by Russian athletes and teams. One need only consider, for example, the top Russian middle-distance runners suspended before the 2008 Olympics and the many Russian winter sports athletes suspended before the 2010 Olympics.

In how many countries is doping considered such a systematic problem that the head of state becomes involved?

"But IOC President Jacques Rogge said on February 8 that he raised concerns directly with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and the Russian sports minister because of 11 winter sports doping cases involving Russian athletes during the past year."

http://www.rferl.org/content/On_Eve_Of_Winter_Olympics_30_Athletes_Banned_For_Doping/1956201.html

Also consider the following:

"The number of suspensions, and the varied events involved, raised troubling questions about possible ineptitude or corruption in Russian drug-testing procedures and also prompted concerns about whether a deliberate, systematic attempt was made by coaches or officials to undermine drug-testing protocols."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/01/sports/01iht-01doping.14929871.html
The thing is EVERYBODY dopes, I know some minor sportsman and they dope, God knows what major ones do. Bolt runs 9.58 because he drinks a lot of tea in the morning, yeah right. Men swim incredibly fast, lift extream weights, ride bicyle 260+ km across Alpes... That's just pure doping, and we all know it's true.
 
euanli said:
Why do 100m sprinters use EPO? It is a recovery product when microdosed
Well, last year he couldn't get to the finish to contest the sprint a lot of the time, so there's that...
Fetisoff said:
Maybe he was taking some Russian over-the counter supplement that just happened to contain EPO.
Zam_Olyas said:
Could be But they say EPO is italian so no way he bought russian over-the counter supplement. :p
Could go for the Olga Pyleva/Oksana Khvost'enko approach of "I wasn't feeling good, I was prescribed some medicine, so I went and got some. The Russian product doesn't contain EPO, but it seems the same product marketed in [insert country name here] does include EPO, so how was I ever to know?"

Pyleva sat out 2 years, Khvost'enko managed to successfully plead her case and got it reduced to 1.
 
Oct 25, 2010
3,049
2
0
I was wondering when Pat would wake up again...



Did they have to chase the guy through the jungle first?
 
Jan 22, 2011
2,843
1
0
Libertine Seguros said:
Could go for the Olga Pyleva/Oksana Khvost'enko approach of "I wasn't feeling good, I was prescribed some medicine, so I went and got some. The Russian product doesn't contain EPO, but it seems the same product marketed in [insert country name here] does include EPO, so how was I ever to know?"

Pyleva sat out 2 years, Khvost'enko managed to successfully plead her case and got it reduced to 1.


Worked for Kolobnev as well.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
2
0
spalco said:
Getting over the hills better and still being strong at the end of a 200-250km race.

Why do you think sprinters wouldn't get a lot out of EPO too?
I haven't seen Denis do both those things.
 
Oct 30, 2011
2,642
0
0
El Pistolero said:
I haven't seen Denis do both those things.
Which is why he took EPO, to try and do so.

It feels to me like another sacrifice of a small guy, while the big guns fire at will, but hey.
 
Oct 25, 2010
3,049
2
0
Caruut said:
Which is why he took EPO, to try and do so.

It feels to me like another sacrifice of a small guy, while the big guns fire at will, but hey.
It's easy to throw no-name Russians and Spaniards under the bus. They pick on the less-worldly people who are less apt to hire big-gun lawyers and actually fight back. And they have less to lose.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY